Speed radar==HF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainetrunk

Hi again guy's,
Does anyone know what freq band a police radar runs in?
Today isn't the day to go sit by 1 and scan all freq's.. Rain and wind
I read somewhere it might be in the 15000 khz area.
And, no, I don't wanna use my Alico to take the place of a detector.
I just wanna hear 1...
My pd has 1 called " Maggie ",( a trailer radar ) and I would like to hear her, lol
( that's 1 girl I could listen to all night, hahaha )

nd5y

Most police speed radars operate in the microwave X and K bands around 10.5 and 24.15 GHz.
You can't receive that on a HF receiver.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've got an older unit that allows you to listen.

When traveling without any other vehicles near, it's just a tone. When another vehicle comes into range, the tone changes frequencies depending on their speed.

https://tagloom.com/post/OuKzY1p_bjR

Skip ahead to the 3:50 mark to hear what I hear from my gun.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I've got an older unit that allows you to listen.

When traveling without any other vehicles near, it's just a tone. When another vehicle comes into range, the tone changes frequencies depending on their speed.
A radar transmission would just be a dead carrier, even when Doppler shifted. Normal FM demodulation would produce no sound. By design, a radar gun translates a non Doppler shifted return signal into a tone and +/- Doppler shifted signals into proportionally shifted tones.

RayAir

Ka band radar has mostly replaced K band radar units.
I believe Ka can run anywhere from 33-35.5GHz.

Older K band guns ran 24.150 GHz

The gun just sends out the radio signal , the signal hits a target (vehicle), reflects back to the gun and the gun then calculates the Doppler shift to give speed reading.

Police radars will have a Doppler audio function (squelch) to allow the officer to hear the tone.

You'll hear a noisy signal and as the gun begins tracking a target you hear a tone. The tone increases in pitch as a vehicles speed increases. The steady tone also indicates a good target lock.

Radar guns improved drastically in range and accuracy as new DSP guns started coming out. Older analog guns like the Kustom Falcon, K-15, or Trooper put out a 40mW signal or higher.

Newer digital guns run as low as 5mW and can still get good target acquisition range of 1500'+

I still have a Kustom Trooper unit. I used to have a Stalker ATR (Ka band DSP) and I could acquire accurate speed readings by just activating the trigger for a fraction of a second. My Bel radar detector on my dash would not even alarm during testing.

I think MPH has some units out now with a feature called "POP" where they just emit a signal for a very small fraction of a second. Newer radar detectors might pick this up, I don't know.

Police by me in Florida and Michigan love their LIDAR guns of lately.

A motorcycle cop with a laser gun is deadly to your wallet.

CapStar362

yup POP is standard in all of the newest models of detectors. even the cheaper "talking ones" have POP capability.

my mother has one that picks up, K, Ka, X, POP and LASER

and tells you what its picking up with a drone like voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.