CTCSS tone data!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibler

Feed Provider
I like to Custom build my Playlist for my Radio Shack Pro-668 scanner and I have this problem! When using ISCAN software, I have a problem with some of the CTCSS tone data numbers (for my conventional channels) that want load up on the "Conventional Frequencies" window and I have to go back and install them manually! I noticed that when I click in the Squelch Column, a "ToneSetForm" window opens with the "[Squelch Mode: CTCSS]" displayed! Down underneath it is a small box with a check mark in the "Search for Value" box! This is probably why the numbers want load properly! I have looked in HELP in the ISCAN software for a setting for this but I do not find anything! This problem is not a "SHOW STOPPER" but it would be nice not to have to worry about such trivial stuff! Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

Last edited:

DickH

I like to Custom build my Playlist for my Radio Shack Pro-668 scanner and I have this problem! When using ISCAN software, I have a problem with some of the CTCSS tone data numbers (for my conventional channels) that want load up on the "Conventional Frequencies" window and I have to go back and install them manually! I noticed that when I click in the Squelch Column, a "ToneSetForm" window opens with the "[Squelch Mode: CTCSS]" displayed! Down underneath it is a small box with a check mark in the "Search for Value" box! This is probably why the numbers want load properly! I have looked in HELP in the ISCAN software for a setting for this but I do not find anything! This problem is not a "SHOW STOPPER" but it would be nice not to have to worry about such trivial stuff! Any help would be appreciated...Thanks

You don't need the tones unless you get interference on a particular frequency.

kibler

Feed Provider
You don't need the tones unless you get interference on a particular frequency.
Hello DickH.........Thanks much for the reply! I have several Conventional Frequencies in my County that operate with more than one CTCSS or DCS code for the same Frequency! Some of which will not work well or at all, unless I create a dedicated frequency with the CTCSS to match! I have to do this with my Uniden and the Radio Shack as well! There should be a setting in the ISCAN menus, but I just do not find anything! Thanks for you help

Last edited:

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
One of the annoying things that iScan does that's annoying is loading the same freq over and over again, with different PL tones. I don't need or want PL tones on anything, and I never have had them turned on with any scanner I've used, ever. This just slows down scanning. I don't really care what the dept name is, I can almost always tell from the address they are going to, or the dispatcher's voice anyway, but the location is not the important thing anyway most of the time. I think iScan stuck almost 30 copies of each of about 3 local fire freqs that I had to delete and turn off PL. It also duplicates rail frequencies over and over again. I wish there was a way, and if there is, I can't seem to find it, to sort the conventional freqs in order to see all the dupes. I'm sure I still have some, but I'm too lazy to spend any more time looking for them. I deleted over 250 conventional freqs from the original list that iScan imported from RR.

jonsmth

Premium Subscriber
CTCSS Squelch Tones

On my PRO-668 if a tone is questionable, I just configure that frequency's CTCSS tone for "Search", once something transmits it will reveal the tone the transmitter is sending. All you have to do is select "Enter" on the scanner while the tone is displayed and it will program it as the CTCSS tone for that frequency. Be advised you will not see the tone if you are using the basic display. In the settings you can set the display to show the CTCSS codes. The only problem is if you receive multiple organizations on the same frequency it can be a trick to figure out if the tone you're seeing is for the organization you wish to program.

Voyager

Can you provide specific examples of the various CTCSS frequencies? Maybe some of the values you have are not correct.

PACNWDude

103.5 Hz, 67 Hz, 100 Hz are very commonly used where I am at. I usually just do not have CTCSS tones on my channel so I can listen to everything on that frequency.

Web search of CTCSS tones will give you charts you can print out, save or use. Motorola has a specific chart with their alphabetical listing to tones Hz frequencies for instance. Other companies do things a little differently.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
One of the annoying things that iScan does that's annoying is loading the same freq over and over again, with different PL tones. I don't need or want PL tones on anything, and I never have had them turned on with any scanner I've used, ever. This just slows down scanning. I don't really care what the dept name is, I can almost always tell from the address they are going to, or the dispatcher's voice anyway, but the location is not the important thing anyway most of the time. I think iScan stuck almost 30 copies of each of about 3 local fire freqs that I had to delete and turn off PL. It also duplicates rail frequencies over and over again. I wish there was a way, and if there is, I can't seem to find it, to sort the conventional freqs in order to see all the dupes. I'm sure I still have some, but I'm too lazy to spend any more time looking for them. I deleted over 250 conventional freqs from the original list that iScan imported from RR.

Click on "Frequency" at the top of the list and it will sort up or down in order.

n5ims

Think of the tone (CTCSS or DCS) as a filter. If you only want to hear signals that use that tone, you must apply that filter (set the tone to the necessary value). If you want to hear anything and everything on that frequency (regardless of what tone they us, or even if they don't use a tone), set it for no tone (check your manual for exactly how to do that for your radio, it may be [TONE] Off, "None" or "Search").

Say you have an agency that uses 155.675 for all traffic, but different tones for different departments:
Tone 1: PD
Tone 2: FD
Tone 3: Public Works

With the tone set to 1, you'll only hear PD, not FD, or PW traffic.
With tone set to 2, you'll hear FD, and not PD or PW.
With tone set to "None", you'll hear all three (but get no indication to which it is).
With tone set to "Search", you'll hear all three (and have a display of "Tone: 1" for PD, "Tone 2" for FD, ...).

Hope that helps!

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Click on "Frequency" at the top of the list and it will sort up or down in order.

How did I miss that? Thanks! I got rid of about 45 freqs in rail alone, most had PL's stuck onto them, so I just deleted almost all of them, and set all of them to "Search". Sped up scanning a decent amount, and getting rid of the PL's improved reception too.

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Glad it helped. There is so much to miss on these new scanners and their programming its not funny. I find a lot of times its the little things that get you most.

Found out by accident and purely from frustration how to pick up a simulcast system on it finally. :) Got made threw a setting in and bingo it works on the bloody thing. Now if I can just get the 652 I bought to do it too. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.