Popping Your Cherry

Status
Not open for further replies.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
Sorry about the title, figured it would draw your attention :p

The best way to "pop your cherry" is to just hit the PTT and toss out your callsign.

Why did you learn and invest in getting your license, if you are not going to use it?

Heck me, I ragchew all the time.

I do remember my first time getting my license, and was nervous at first. I was listening to a few ragchew, and i was like "man I want to join in but didn't want to interupt their conversation" so i waited until they were saying their 73. Then tossed out my callsign.
I then made my first two contacts that day :p

Now a days, during a conversation I toss out my callsign and they reply. And we get a round table going. Makes it more fun. Its nice for a one on one, but a roundtable, is priceless.

So long story short, just pop on 146.520 (national simplex) or a local repeater and toss out your call sign.

Whats the worst thing that can happen? No one reply :p LOL

The best thing, you made a contact and ragchew :)

You earned your license, put it to use. ;)

77Impala

Very nice write up there!.

I started out earlier this month by using one of my scanners to listen as I tested my ht on one of the local repeaters. Not knowing anyone was even listening I had a fellow call back to me and we talked for a few minutes.

I am still very new to this hobby and sometimes I do wait till the conversation is complete before joining if like in the morning I know one fellow has a short drive to his work. Then I will join in. Other times as the OP said I throw out my call sign and if not immediately then very shortly some one will acknowledge me.

Something I would like to add is that if you throw out your call sign and they don't seem to be calling back to you don't give up. Wait a minute or two and try again, you may have your radio to low on transmit power if on simplex or you may be further than some one else to the repeater and you were not heard at all.

mikepdx

... if you throw out your call sign and they don't seem to be calling back to you don't give up.
Wait a minute or two and try again, you may have your radio to low on transmit power
if on simplex or you may be further than some one else to the repeater and you were not heard at all.

Amen.

I know it's difficult in our instant gratification world, but...

Give other stations a chance to reply.

They may have their hands full at home
or driving in curves or heavy traffic,
or quickly swapping a dead battery.

I don't know how many times I've responded
a mere 15-20 seconds later in order to be safe in traffic
and the calling station has already QSY'd.

k6cpo

Mic fright is one of the hardest things for new operators to overcome. Not everyone has the advantage of 20 years of tactical communications in the Navy and several years as a police dispatcher as I do. While there are a number of older, crotchety hams out there that think everyone who didn't have to pass a Morse Code test to get licensed shouldn't be on the air, you'll find most hams are welcoming to new operators. The simplest thing to do is just keep throwing out your call sign and eventually someone will come back to you.

AC2OY

I'm very new to HF since I got a real station set up and so far EVERYONE has welcomed with open arms. Now I just need motivation to send out some QSL cards!! I was nervous but once you start talking it goes away fast.

mcgyver74

I just got my callsign today so I tried keying up the National Simplex frequency but it's pretty dead in my area. I found one very active repeater but could not get it to key up (Something I am doing wrong in programming I am sure :) ) I agree with OP, you have the license, and a radio..why not use them :)

AC2OY

Mark congratulations on getting your call!!! I have a four or five page of repeaters for our area I can gladly share with you. Off the top of my head W2RN 443.750 pl 141.3 is a great machine. What is your radio? Let me look and see if I have the link in my phone for that repeater list so you can program a few in and start talking.

AC2OY

Oh ok so you have a tribander good I'll have to look for you when I get off work and go in the yard with the HT and my cigar. I like 220 there are a few machines that I can hit I'm sure I'll find you! I have to get out that list I think he has a website or he emailed it to me and I printed it either way I can share it with you and you can program more in if you haven't done it already. Sounds like your off to the races.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
FYI I would suggest the 146.520. But there is a website called REPEATERBOOK that has a ton of repeaters listed.

Also, do not forget to VFO!!!

Congrats to you guys getting your license! That is awesome!!! If you are ever in the N. Illinois area you can find me on the national simplex most the time.

WX9RLT

KC0KM

I know I was a little nervous the first few time got on the air. I had my Tech a few weeks before I had checked into our local net. My first experience with HF was during Field Day, and was on GOTA, I was only able to last a few minutes, before I gave up (the static hurt my ears). By the next year, I had made General, and did a little better, but mostly sat second chair, and did a lot of listening. On my third Field Day, I had not only made Extra, but had just gotten my vanity call (this one). After we had set up, and where testing and just messing around on the radio I made my first DX (with help), with Russia. It was several years later, once I had my HF radio (Icom 718), and finally hooked it up, did I eventually get on the air by myself. It just takes time. My father, who now also is an Extra, has yet to really get on the air -- by himself -- on HF. I think the fist time he had even made a contact on HF was during this years Field Day, and I was his coach. I have learned a lot as well. My first few years when on HF during FD I had a somewhat "funny" (a cross between a Southern and British) accent. I have since dropped it, and speak more normally. I still do not get on the air all the time, but I am more at ease now.

WX9RLT

Ham, Scanners, GMRS
I know I was a little nervous the first few time got on the air. I had my Tech a few weeks before I had checked into our local net. My first experience with HF was during Field Day, and was on GOTA, I was only able to last a few minutes, before I gave up (the static hurt my ears). By the next year, I had made General, and did a little better, but mostly sat second chair, and did a lot of listening. On my third Field Day, I had not only made Extra, but had just gotten my vanity call (this one). After we had set up, and where testing and just messing around on the radio I made my first DX (with help), with Russia. It was several years later, once I had my HF radio (Icom 718), and finally hooked it up, did I eventually get on the air by myself. It just takes time. My father, who now also is an Extra, has yet to really get on the air -- by himself -- on HF. I think the fist time he had even made a contact on HF was during this years Field Day, and I was his coach. I have learned a lot as well. My first few years when on HF during FD I had a somewhat "funny" (a cross between a Southern and British) accent. I have since dropped it, and speak more normally. I still do not get on the air all the time, but I am more at ease now.

Awesome!!!

KF4TBZ

Sadly I've had my tech for 18 years now and I've yet to get on a radio with it. Didn't have the money for a radio when I got my license and then kinda forgot about it for a while (renewed it when the time came though). I finally this year bought one of those cheap Baofeng UV-5R's and have began to listen a little. I don't have a clue if it'll even actually get out or hit a repeater though with where I am.

Only talking I've done so far on any radio is using my FD issued one for work.... I'm hoping to buy a "real" radio soon...

W6SAE

Premium Subscriber
Sadly I've had my tech for 18 years now and I've yet to get on a radio with it. Didn't have the money for a radio when I got my license and then kinda forgot about it for a while (renewed it when the time came though). I finally this year bought one of those cheap Baofeng UV-5R's and have began to listen a little. I don't have a clue if it'll even actually get out or hit a repeater though with where I am

I don't know how far you've gotten into setting up and programming your UV-5R, but I recently found this blog post which really clarified for me the process of doing it manually: WP4AOH: Baofeng UV-5R Overview and Manual Programming

I recently passed my Technician exam and am waiting for my license to be issued (should be any day now).

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
KF4TBZ, I also own one of those

Baofeng UV-5R transceivers, and it does hit the repeater that's about 18 miles from me when I connect it to the J-Pole antenna. That was with the high power setting. My main transceiver, FT-2900R, as a base unit, hits that same repeater with low power (5W). With a good antenna, you should be able to hit a repeater that's within a reasonable distance.
BTW, if you're short on funds, you can either buy or build a J-Pole antenna that will work great. I built mine for around 25 dollars, but you can buy one on eBay for about 20 to 35 dollars.
Just be aware that you'll have to have an SMA female adapter to S0-239, (also on eBay).

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
KE0GXN, the J-pole is just outside my office window,

setting up about 30 feet. Coax length is about 50 feet. I built it from 1/2 pipe from Lowes. Used an antenna analyzer before it went up and after on the mast. I've had great reports and great reception.
If you're interested, I'll post the link for building it.

Status
Not open for further replies.