• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

cb interference from leveling system

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmhand

We have a Case IH 8120 combine with a Hillco leveling system. We use Uniden 510XL in everything except a couple of rigs have 520's. The problem with the one in the combine is it picks up noise from the leveling system. It only goes off when it is activly moving, or adjusting either way. If you flip the system to manual so it doesn't move (but is still on) the CB is fine. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? If you unplug the antenna from the back of the CB it never picks up any noise. So I think its an antenna problem, not power. With the leveler system off, the CB works as it should. I've tried covering the box that the computer is in with tin foil thinking that might help, but to no avail. The antenna wire crosses the hillco wires at a 90 degree angle so I assume there wouldn't be much to pick up but maybe I'm wrong?? There is no other way to route the wires in the cab. Would it be better with a different CB? Like a cobra or other? In order to use it, I have to have the squelch up to 3/4 or more. Which isn't normally an issue, but if anyone tries to talk to me more then 75-100 yards away, I can't hear them. They can hear me fine. Not a really big deal, except if a fire breaks out behind me I need to know it ASAP. Thanks for any help you can offer.

prcguy

What is the leveling system comprised of? Any computer related stuff? If its got DC motors that move something directly or via hydraulics it could be motor speed controllers or motor brushes causing interference. These can create RF hash that is radiated and picked up via your antenna and it can also trash out the electrical system.

I would first try operating the radio temporarily from a separate battery to see if that has the same amount of interference. If so then the leveling system is radiating and being picked up by the antenna and that's hard to diagnose without being there. If the interference is greatly reduced running from a separate battery then a DC power line filter might help.
prcguy

KB0VWG

If all else fails

Well if that doesn't work maybe try murs and put a magnet mount on the combine and you might just have very clear crystal clear coverage with no hash and static. The combine would make a great ground plane.
kb0vwg
wqoi992

JayMojave

Hello Farmhand: I take it this leveling system is on a Farm Combiner, and when the leveling system is operating you get interference into the CB Radio.

Good advice from PRC and OVG there. MURS Radio Service uses VHF Radios on low power that has several miles range. Usually Ham Radios (such as mobile and hand held radios are slightly modified to go the MURs frequencies) I have used hand held radios on MURs for hunting with good results. These VHF Radios use the FM Mode so there are more less to have the interference you have told us about.

Its possible that the Leveling System is generating RF (Radio Frequency) that is called Radio Frequency Interference / RFI) that is being picked up by the CB radio. A good trouble shooting call was unplugging the cb radio antenna and loosing the RFI, as this indicates the RFI is coming in thru the antenna. Meaning the interference is RFI from the leveling system.

Is it possible that the Combine or another vehicle can be near the Combine and see if the RFI is heard in another vehicle, as a test?

As PRC said it could be a computer, motors, or valves or other electrical components. Using a hand held radio with the antenna unplugged you "Probe the Field" looking for local noise source. And I'll bet that isn't any easy thing to do when running!

Suggestion: Call the Combiner Manufacture / Leveling Manufacture and ask about there system causing RFI or EMI to CB radios, and a fix. Its possible they have run into this problem before and have a fix. Maybe shielded wiring or adding a Capacitor or in line Choke into the leveling system wiring.

RFI = Radio Frequency Interference
EMI = Electromotive Interference (fancy word used in the industry meaning RFI) Good luck. See the ARRL Book in RFI.

See: http://www.amazon.com/The-ARRL-RFI-Book-Softcover/dp/0872590917

Jay in the Mojave

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Farmhand, I'm not too familiar with red stuff as most of the stuff I deal with is green. However, first question I would ask is how the power is ran, not the antenna. Then I would ask how the antenna is mounted and go from there.

I recently just moved a friend over to UHF FM. It wasn't as inexpensive as CB but wasn't as expensive as going to MURS due to the fact I found him some used radios that matched some of mine in terms of programming software (so I already had it). I wouldn't rule out the CBs yet. I'm guessing you are just using the CBs in field and not as your primary means of communication for all farm related activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Make certain that all the electrical connections, especially grounds, are in good condition.

Next idea would be to apply some filtering to the leveling system. Ferrite beads on the motor wiring, and a filter capacitor.

Sent via Tapatalk

prcguy

I think you want to find out what is creating or causing the interference before doing anything else, then you can apply a reasonable fix. If you just start adding caps and beads you may be wasting parts that will never do any good and you may never know what actually caused the problem.

Running the radio from a separate battery will tell you if a bunch of stuff is a problem or not. Seeing if another vehicle nearby picks up the interference would be similar. Using a portable AM or SW radio and moving it around the combine may pinpoint the source. If the motors for the leveling system can be run independently from the system computer that would help isolate more stuff, etc.
prcguy

Make certain that all the electrical connections, especially grounds, are in good condition.

Next idea would be to apply some filtering to the leveling system. Ferrite beads on the motor wiring, and a filter capacitor.

Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

I helped a neighbor get set up with MURS for his operation a couple of years ago and his Case New Holland combine produced a ton of hash on the 3 NFM channels any time the key was on (probably fuel pump) and got worse in operation. Oddly the 2 FM channels were quiet down to squelch opening (I'd have thought it would be the other way around), so since MURS is pretty dead around here he just uses those two. Just so you'll know that MURS may not be the answer. Easy enough to get a CCR or an existing radio programmed and check. And range for his use is excellent, a couple of miles even between H-T's inside of cabs, lots better with 1/4-wave NMO's.

CB is going to be a lot more vulnerable to RF noise than any kind of FM communication.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
I think you want to find out what is creating or causing the interference before doing anything else, then you can apply a reasonable fix. If you just start adding caps and beads you may be wasting parts that will never do any good and you may never know what actually caused the problem.

Running the radio from a separate battery will tell you if a bunch of stuff is a problem or not. Seeing if another vehicle nearby picks up the interference would be similar. Using a portable AM or SW radio and moving it around the combine may pinpoint the source. If the motors for the leveling system can be run independently from the system computer that would help isolate more stuff, etc.
prcguy

I'm going along with prcguy on this one....

JayMojave

Hello Krokus: I stand corrected, thank you for pointing that out.

I have heard both terms used but Electromagnetic Interference I believe is correct.

Jay in the Mojave

Krokus:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMojave View Post
RFI = Radio Frequency Interference
EMI = Electromotive Interference (fancy word used in the industry meaning RFI)

EMI = Electromagnetic Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.