700 channels heard last 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
In the past I've heard just a little traffic on chp 700mhz channels. Downtown Sacramento, at Cajon talking from one scale to the other and the MT Pass troopers near Primm talking to each other. For the last 3 days I've heard actual base to mobile and mobile returning traffic on the new channels in areas that wouldn't be testing. This wasn't mobile extenders nor other agencies as I have the tone squelch set. Over the last 3 days I've heard what's listed as channel 1 base on I-5 from about Lathrop to south of Westley. I think the dispatcher I heard was the same one working Merced Yellow. I also heard channel 4 from south of Sacramento to Lodi. I think that was the dispatcher working the black . None of the traffic seemed simultaneously broadcast with a low band channel. Has anyone else heard anything?

scottyhetzel

W9xxx,

How far were you from the base? This is great info. Btw..I have the border division base stations down here and never heard a peep. Have not seen any positive reports since the Lounch of the CHIPERS project got started.

techman210

Mountain Pass

There is a resident CHP officer that lives at the top of Mountain Pass.... I will bet that was his mobile extender you heard over such a wide area.

One mystery solved, perhaps.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
I didn't hear the MT Pass troopers up by Sacramento. I hear them on MT Pass and sometimes closer to Vegas. They are using a 700mhz channel, not an extender. It's low power, I can only hear them a few miles and they are only using it for car to car, and not every day. What I heard in the Sacramento to Westley area was that areas base and at least 2 troopers.

techman210

I didn't hear the MT Pass troopers up by Sacramento. I hear them on MT Pass and sometimes closer to Vegas. They are using a 700mhz channel, not an extender. It's low power, I can only hear them a few miles and they are only using it for car to car, and not every day. What I heard in the Sacramento to Westley area was that areas base and at least 2 troopers.

Mountain Pass is on I-15 near Bailey road, just Southwest of the "Primm Valley" near Stateline. This is the location that I was talking about. The new extenders, located at CHP stations, weigh stations and on vehicles are P25 700 Mhz, and are low power. They place the extenders in fixed locations for in-building and near-building HT coverage.

The old VHF extender, or vehicular repeater system is going away as new vehicles are introduced into the fleet.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
scottyhetzel , I just looked at my map. If I'm correct about the Bases being South Sac and Merced then they were full quieting at at least 35 miles. Probably 45. That was using a tri-band (70cm/2m/6m) antenna with the base mounted about 9 ft off the ground on the side of my cab.

w9xxx

Premium Subscriber
Yes those local extenders are on 774.53125 . I've only heard the extenders on at Banning and on I-80 on the west end of Sacramento. The Mt Pass guys are talking on 770.66875 when I hear them on I-15.

scottyhetzel

scottyhetzel , I just looked at my map. If I'm correct about the Bases being South Sac and Merced then they were full quieting at at least 35 miles. Probably 45. That was using a tri-band (70cm/2m/6m) antenna with the base mounted about 9 ft off the ground on the side of my cab.

Thanks for the info. I live about 7 miles away from the Indio Office...was wondering if I could hear them some day....looks like I will. : ) per your distance calcs.

Yes those local extenders are on 774.53125 . I've only heard the extenders on at Banning and on I-80 on the west end of Sacramento. The Mt Pass guys are talking on 770.66875 when I hear them on I-15.

774.53125 is used alot on construction zone standby's it's must likely what your hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.