Best Scanner for use in Philadelphia

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperPuma

Looking to possibly upgrade from my PSR800 to a newer Whistler or Uniden model. Anyone using or have any recommendations on which performs best monitoring Philadelphia's system?

kh11

Premium Subscriber
Your PSR800 (and its mobile equivalent, the Whistler WS1095) is probably about the best at the moment. My PSR800 seems to perform better than my Home Patrol 2 on Philly's new system.

Septa3371CSX1

PSR-800 should work fine. Philly will be going P25 Phase 2 in the next few years so a Phase 2 scanner is good to have.

From my own monitoring I've found my 6 year old Pro 106 seems to perform better on the current system than the newer Pro 668 (essentially a Radio Shack labeled version of the PSR-800) when it comes to the simulcast distortion and sensitivity.

phillydjdan

Don't get a 536HP, they sound like garbage. The 436HP, oddly enough, sounded much better IMO. I cannot speak for the WS1095 or 996P2 models.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Don't get a 536HP, they sound like garbage. The 436HP, oddly enough, sounded much better IMO. I cannot speak for the WS1095 or 996P2 models.

I hate hate the 436HP's audio compared to the PRO-106 and PSR-800...user preference, I suppose. I've only compated the audio on Phase 1 systems. I have not had the PSR-800 and 436HP in the same place for any Phase 2 systems.

SuperPuma

PSR-800 should work fine. Philly will be going P25 Phase 2 in the next few years so a Phase 2 scanner is good to have.

From my own monitoring I've found my 6 year old Pro 106 seems to perform better on the current system than the newer Pro 668 (essentially a Radio Shack labeled version of the PSR-800) when it comes to the simulcast distortion and sensitivity.

The simulcast distortion is my biggest problem. From certain areas in South Philadelphia I can pick up the NJSP and Montco 800 much. much better than South Fire Band.

Looking in some of the other threads I see poor reviews for the Uniden 436 and 536. Are the new Whistlers basically the same as the old GRE's or has Whistler made any significant changes?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... I thought Philly was phase 2 now?... I can only hear them with my p-2 scanners (536,436, PSR 800 and WS 1095) my other scanners don't work on philly anymore... as far as the audio... Unidens are muffled, GRE's are crisp and clear... facts of life...

bailly2

in the area around city hall, the philadelphia p25 system has 2 sites 20 blocks away from each other transmitting on the same frequencies, as far as i know only the uniden 536 or 436 can handle that simulcast distortion

phillydjdan

Philly is NOT using phase 2, although the system backbone is capable. Ive seen an FD radio codeplug, and the system perameters arent even setup for TDMA operation at all. If your older scanners arent working they need to be updated. When they changed systems last they changed frequencies due to rebanding and changed from 3600 baud to 9600 baud. My 396xt and even my Pro-96 (after a slight adjustment) pick it up fine with the exception of the dreaded simulcast distortion.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... thanks Dan... I assumed they went P-2 when I couldn't pick them up anymore on my P-1 GRE's... I programed the rebanded freqs but not the change in baud rate... I took my 536 out of the car as I can't see the display anymore and use a 1095... does well with Philly (CC)... Bob...

phillydjdan

What happened to the 536? I have one myself. I hate it. With a passion. Let's hear some more about this 1095. Ive been watching them since the GRE factory shut down and it was shelved. I like my PSR800 except the lack of volume, so Im curious to see how much louder the mobile version is.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
... I replied on the other side too... thanks... I set up the 536 with my several GRE/RS units by my bed... I have 3 VHF/UHF/800 ground planes up very high on the roof and get Philly pretty well in Bristol (mostly J band, N fire and far NE)... the 1095 is the same as the PSR- 800 (clear crisp P-25)... I have the remote head mounted on the steering column behind the wheel... the display is bright and bold and it's easy to operate from there... I stuffed the radio out of sight in the center console sideways behind the external speaker so I can reach the data card easily... it really serves me well working as a newspaper photographer... I too HATE the 536... the display is so dim I can't read it any more... the p-25 audio is crap on Bucks County but improved some with the update (fix)...

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
PS...

... as far as the low volume on the 1095, it's the same as the PSR 800 but my Rat Shack amplified speaker takes care of that...

soberbyker

Premium Subscriber
... I thought Philly was phase 2 now?... I can only hear them with my p-2 scanners (536,436, PSR 800 and WS 1095) my other scanners don't work on philly anymore... as far as the audio... Unidens are muffled, GRE's are crisp and clear... facts of life...

For what it;s worth, I pick up Philly fairly well, a little distortion now and then, with my RS Pro-197. I'm a mile outside of west Philly, have the scanner on the 2nd floor of my home and use a magnetic mobile antenna near an east facing window.

I know when Philly eventually goes p2 that will no longer be the case. I bummed to hear the Uniden's aren't that great, I like the idea of a keyboard on the radios the GRE/Whistler's don't have.

phillydjdan

It's seriously the same loudness as the portable??? Like, it's the same speaker??? WOW, just WOW. I'm shaking my head. Guess I'm not getting one of those.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Dan... I ran a test...

... I disconnected the amplified speaker and compared the volume of the 800, 536 and 1095... the 1095 does have a larger speaker and it's mounted on the top of the radio... it is actually louder than the 800 but in my opinion should be louder... it is however the same volume as the 536 (I think that should be louder also)... I have always used an amplified speaker in the car and that does the trick...

mke65

Stick with the psr-800 or its radio Shack counterpart pro-668. I finally got a chance to verify p2 and it performed admirably. A little bit louder transmission but easy to understand. And with the radio snacks closing see if you can't find one for 199 as I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.