GMC Acadia

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcm4368

Needed to install the cellular equipment in the wifes new Acadia. Really liked how the Pro-Clip mount worked in the Ford Five Hundred, so I ordered one for this install.. Installation was quick and easy. I fabricated a fused power harness for the Wilson Sleek and Whistler radar detector from the battery compartment behind the passenger seat. A12V socket is mounted in the center console for the Sleek. so the factory power cord can be utilized. For an antenna, I reused a glass mount that I had on another vehicle. The install is simple, effective, and works well with the factory integrated hands-free system.

Trent

Attachments

• 100_1359.jpg
    100_1359.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,004
  • 100_1358.jpg
    100_1358.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 1,975
  • 100_1356.jpg
    100_1356.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,959

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Is that the older sleek that didnt have the USB power socket on the side?

tcm4368

Is that the older sleek that didnt have the USB power socket on the side?

Its not the current 4G WeBoost model, but its the Wilson Sleek 4G and it does have the provisions for the USB charging cord, I've just never ordered one.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
How well does that Wilson Sleek work for you? I'm contemplating getting one, just a tad bit leery on how well they do work.

Mike

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
How well does that Wilson Sleek work for you? I'm contemplating getting one, just a tad bit leery on how well they do work.

Mike

I'm not the OP but I have one in my mobile rig and it does improve the signal. I did purchase the taller mag mount antenna instead of the little 3" or 4" one that comes with the Sleek (there is also an NMO version, I'm sure you've seen). When I first got it I did some tests and I could hold the phone in my hand and show 2 bars then place it in the Sleek holder and it would increase to 4 bars, sometimes all the way up to 5. I've had people riding with me before and comment "I've got no service..." and I glance at my phone in the Sleek and it'll show 2 or 3 bars.

You want to make sure you get the 4G model if buying old stock (not sure if there is even a non-4G model made now that they rebranded themselves) to make sure it will boost the LTE data side as well. Also, make sure the antenna you use (if using your own) is designed to cover both bands/freq ranges instead of just the 800MHz (this is what I was told, at least) to boost both.

Hope that helps. Maybe the OP will weigh in, too.

[I will throw in an a disclaimer - I got my Wilson Sleek 4G free from Wilson as part of a contest give-away promotion. I was considering buying one and was one of the selected winners so I only 'bought' the taller mag antenna. That said, my comments here are no exaggeration.]

Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I have one, its the latest wilson branded ones.
There are two "Wilson" ones that do 4G. The older one has a switch that sets to lower 700 (at&t) or upper 700 (verizon).
The other one covers both simultaneously.

I have the switchless one, on a verizon phone. I've also thrown my at&t phone in it from time to time.

It is currently installed on a suction cup arm in my cottage window, with the antenna on the metal roof, and when i'm on the road around the region, i'll move it to the truck which has a NMO antenna dedicated to it.

In my cottage, near the window, i have 2-3 bars of 3G. Away from the window it will drop down to 1 or 2 bars of 1X (2g)
If i drop it in the sleek for a few minutes and leave it there, it will eventually lock onto 4GLTE and a few bars.

Primary reason for the poor signal is Verizon has 1 tower in town, its on the mountain, and there is no line of sight to my lot. Plus, the metal roof over wooden roof, and the heavy timber walls of this place block a lot of RF. My department radio (VHF) only receives well if i'm near the window.

The sleek boosts the power well, and the antenna is now high enough that it has line of sight to the tower.

A word on antennas though.
The little 4 incher has a tiny amount of gain in the 880-960 band, and good gain in the other bands.
The taller antenna (both mag and NMO) has - gain in the 1700 mhz band, moderate in most other bands, and really good in the 800 and 1900 bands.

If you use t-mobile, you want to stick with the smaller one, as their 4G is mostly 1700.

Verizon also has some 1700 4G spectrum, but in very limited parts of the country.

Also, if you're installing it in a vehicle, the phantom 3g/4g is a really good match to this system and i highly recommend it. I'm currently running it in my truck, and i've got a second one on a magnetic mount on my roof, i'm just waiting for some coax to run it to the window.

tcm4368

Here's a couple links to our other installs, as well as a review I wrote up when we first bought the Sleeks. Most of mine are 3G (4 units) as I wasn't concerned about data at the time of purchase. I have 2 that are 4G in our personal vehicles. After running them for about 2 years, they have performed well. I started out with permanent phones in all our vehicles, and these seem to perform as well in the rural area we operate in. I was mainly concerned with voice, so I reused NMO antennas that I've run for many years. They are not banded for the 4G frequency range, and Wilson makes a wide variety of antennas that would help in those frequencies. One can purchase the 3G version very inexpensively now.

Trent

Wilson Sleek cell phone booster. - iRV2 Forums

F350 Super Duty install

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...etup/224953-ford-f350-super-duty-install.html

2006 Ford Five Hundred install

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...8615-2006-ford-five-hundred-wilson-sleek.html

Kenworth Trucks install

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/163442-2008-kenworth-truck.html

For entertainment, here's some of the other installs I've done on our personal vehicles;

2006 Ford F150

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/163441-2006-ford-f150.html

2008 Ford F150

http://forums.radioreference.com/pictures-your-shack-mobile-setup/163434-2008-ford-f150.html

Campers

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...-uhf-install-drv-mobile-suites-5th-wheel.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/pi...268440-uhf-motorola-install-5th-wheel-rv.html

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
Thanks for the replies guys, I may just have to seriously look into getting one for the car. I travel out into the desert and coverage gets spotty in some areas. And I would highly consider drilling a hole for an nmo mount and put my Wilson antenna on it that I currently use to monitor our local 800MHz trunked system.

Mike

PACNWDude

Nice installs. I have used Pro-Clips in two vehicles of mine in the past, they have worked very well. Also Wilson amps, and some satphone gear as well. Newer vehicles are hard to make it look good, but it can be done. Good job to everyone who posted their installs.

tcm4368

Thank you. I just started trying the Pro-Clips on the last 2 installs, and they have worked well. As for the Sleeks, as I've said before, for the money they've worked good. I'd probably purchase the 4G model now, as I'm finding I use the capabilities of my smart phone more now than I thought I would. If voice is the only concern then 3G can be purchased inexpensively as well as the old "Wilson" branded 4G for not much more.

Trent

shb80

Premium Subscriber
Keep your eyes out for Radio Shacks that are closing. I got my Sleek there for $45 brand new in the box!

shb80

Premium Subscriber
So using the Verizon network you'd suggest the taller antenna over the 4" one that comes with the unit?

I have one, its the latest wilson branded ones.
There are two "Wilson" ones that do 4G. The older one has a switch that sets to lower 700 (at&t) or upper 700 (verizon).
The other one covers both simultaneously.

I have the switchless one, on a verizon phone. I've also thrown my at&t phone in it from time to time.

It is currently installed on a suction cup arm in my cottage window, with the antenna on the metal roof, and when i'm on the road around the region, i'll move it to the truck which has a NMO antenna dedicated to it.

In my cottage, near the window, i have 2-3 bars of 3G. Away from the window it will drop down to 1 or 2 bars of 1X (2g)
If i drop it in the sleek for a few minutes and leave it there, it will eventually lock onto 4GLTE and a few bars.

Primary reason for the poor signal is Verizon has 1 tower in town, its on the mountain, and there is no line of sight to my lot. Plus, the metal roof over wooden roof, and the heavy timber walls of this place block a lot of RF. My department radio (VHF) only receives well if i'm near the window.

The sleek boosts the power well, and the antenna is now high enough that it has line of sight to the tower.

A word on antennas though.
The little 4 incher has a tiny amount of gain in the 880-960 band, and good gain in the other bands.
The taller antenna (both mag and NMO) has - gain in the 1700 mhz band, moderate in most other bands, and really good in the 800 and 1900 bands.

If you use t-mobile, you want to stick with the smaller one, as their 4G is mostly 1700.

Verizon also has some 1700 4G spectrum, but in very limited parts of the country.

Also, if you're installing it in a vehicle, the phantom 3g/4g is a really good match to this system and i highly recommend it. I'm currently running it in my truck, and i've got a second one on a magnetic mount on my roof, i'm just waiting for some coax to run it to the window.

tcm4368

I never tried the factory mag mount, so I cannot comment. I bought 1 or 2 Sleeks locally, and they had the antenna included. Knowing I was going to install them permanently, I ordered the remaining 4 units without antennas. I usually run a dual load Maxrad from back in the bag phone days on all the vehicles except this Acadia. (Darling wife wouldn't let me drill a hole in the roof...and I can't really blame her) If I was buying antennas today, I'd probably get the Wilson NMO (or on glass depending on application)mount antenna, as it has about as much gain on cellular as what I currently run, plus it will receive the data frequencies. You could always try the included antenna, and upgrade later if needed.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
So using the Verizon network you'd suggest the taller antenna over the 4" one that comes with the unit?

Look up your phone, the bands it uses, and what bands verizon use in your area.

They do have some spectrum in the 1700 range they use for LTE. If they use it in your area, then the 4 inch one would be better.

In northern CO, all of verizon's active spectrum is in the 800-1900 range, with some LTE in the 700 band.

I currently have the 12 inch wilson on my truck.

When I go back home to NM, i'll put the phantom antenna back on.

WatnNY

Database Admin
Database Admin
I received my Sleek unit yesterday and installed it in the car this morning - with the original shorty antenna. I honestly am not seeing a lot of difference yet - but that could be because of the antenna. One thing I did notice, and I wanted to ask you guys about - does your unit get HOT? The metal antenna connection gets so hot you can barely touch it, as does the side usb port you can use to charge your phone. I'm a little concerned about that!

Mike

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I received my Sleek unit yesterday and installed it in the car this morning - with the original shorty antenna. I honestly am not seeing a lot of difference yet - but that could be because of the antenna. One thing I did notice, and I wanted to ask you guys about - does your unit get HOT? The metal antenna connection gets so hot you can barely touch it, as does the side usb port you can use to charge your phone. I'm a little concerned about that!

Mike

I haven't noticed that on mine at all but I'll pay more attention to it over the next couple of days.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Yes. In fact, one of the things i've read in the reviews is that the coax and connector from the 4 inch mini mag antenna will eventually seperate because of the head.

In my truck, i have a FME to SMA adaptor, which is large and metal, which helps dissipate some of the heat... of course there is also good quality coax behind it.

And I mounted mine so that portion of the cradle does get some AC blowing by it.

tcm4368

I haven't experienced them getting exceptionally hot, but I use the SMA to mini UHF adapter and standard coax.

Status
Not open for further replies.