Unable to transmit voice to repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-WeB

I have a Baofeng UV-5RA, and after initially programming it I was able to use the repeaters. Now after a week has passed, I'm no longer able to use the repeater. When I try to transmit and say my call sign, I get a response from the repeater as if I was just keying up the repeater. No one can hear what I'm saying. I discovered this problem when trying to get in on my local net one evening. I'm very confused. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked the repeater settings. I'm wondering if there is some setting or switch that turns the mic off or something. I'm a new ham, so I could just be making a novice mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Update:
I have two of these radios and both are having this problem. I've tested them on non repeater frequencies and they work just fine. The mic seems to transmit completely normal. Doing a bunch of internet searches I was able to find that these radios do have mic problems, but it seems like those forum posts didn't mention testing the radios on simplex. I'm so confused with this problem. If the mic works on simplex, shouldn't it work for a repeater?

Last edited:

teufler

ok, if you have two radios, and they can transmit to each other and you hear them, then the a udio is okey. Either the repeaters have gone to a sub tone, or you have the wrong tone. Check you are going to offset on transmit, then the proper tone, if they use one. you arfe either 88.5 or 100 for the tone. Possibly the wrong tone for the repeater. Since you have two radio, first see that the transmit audio. Then set one radio to reverse on the repeater so you can hear the audio when you try to key the repeater. Third, can you hear the repeater talk when others are using the repeater? The repeater could be down for repairs. Both radios having mic problems, at the same time, is very rare. Oh, are you transmitting from the same place, or have you moved. In essence you could be out of range of trhe repeater. If you are not hearing audio, check you local wx buro frequency or see if you arfe hearing fm broadcasts. If so, you can rule out hearing.

J-WeB

There is actually no tone for the local radio clubs repeater, unless it was recently changed and they haven't updated their website. I can hear everyone on the repeater just fine. It's just that when I try to transmit and speak into the mic, it's like I said nothing at all and the repeater just transmits its call sign. From what I've come across on the internet that response from a repeater is supposed to mean that I'm accessing it correctly.

The actual repeater I'm trying to access is 145.210 MHz in Panama City, Florida. I've attached an image of how I have it set up using CHIRP (note: I've also tried it using manufacturer program). Here's my clubs web page that describes the repeaters parameters: Panama City Amateur Radio Club: Repeaters/Nets/APRS/DSTAR

Attachments

• repeater.jpg
    repeater.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 501

teufler

Try 145.33 tone 100, and 146.745 tone 88.5. If its working there, they have gone to a tone and not updated the web page maybe.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I can hear everyone on the repeater just fine. It's just that when I try to transmit and speak into the mic, it's like I said nothing at all and the repeater just transmits its call sign.

When you transmit to the repeater, it repeats what you say as you say it, while you are transmitting. It does not store it until you unkey, and then transmit what you said.

From what I've come across on the internet that response from a repeater is supposed to mean that I'm accessing it correctly.

If you key your radio, and you hear a signal come back, after you unkey, then likely you are at least able to break the repeater squelch.

Edit. I would tend to agree that if you are hearing audio when on simplex, then likely there is audio when transmitting on a repeater as well. When doing this, are you trying to listen to yourself on your other radio tuned to the repeater output?

If you are trying to listen to yourself on the repeater output on a second radio in close proximity to you, it will not pickup your transmission until you unkey your radio. This is do to your transmitting radio desensing the radio you are listening on due to the close frequency separation. You need to verify your audio with someone located away from your immediate area. Don't feel bad you aren't the first one to pull their hair over this.

J-WeB

Thanks for the help everyone. It was because my signal was just very weak and it seems to work when I use a tone of 88.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.