Typos In The BCD536HP Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

N7CAS

First, the major typo: whereas my 536 once displayed "Bearcat," it now turns on displaying "Barecat."

Barecat? Seriously?

That's bad enough for a company with Uniden's (formally) excellent reputation, but in addition there are now some other typos in Department names that weren't there before (one example: "Opeations" [no "r"] instead of Operations).

One would think that Uniden would want at least its own trade name not hilariously misspelled before putting this stuff online.

Is there some way I can correct this sloppiness at the full database level? Unlike some others' experiences, my 536 scanner works beautifully, but this other stuff is a shoddy nuisance each time I use what is my favorite scanner.

Last edited:

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
My 436 and 536 both are running the latest updates and both of my scanners are saying Bearcat. Are you the only person that uses your computer because you can change the startup display in profiles to say what ever you want the scanner to say. You may have someone making changes to your Sentinel Software and you not know it. My scanners are correct and as long as the update has been out more people would have found this by now because we all run the same updates from the same place.

phask

Premium Subscriber
It's in YOUR profile in Sentinel - change it there.

FWIW - many put personal info. there. Name - phone - callsign, etc.

Enter in Sentinel - write to the scanner, Then red from the scanner and save the profile.

First, the major typo: whereas my 536 once displayed "Bearcat," it now turns on displaying "Barecat."

Barecat? Seriously?

That's bad enough for a company with Uniden's (formally) excellent reputation, but in addition there are now some other typos in Department names that weren't there before (one example: "Opeations" [no "r"] instead of Operations).

One would think that Uniden would want at least its own trade name not hilariously misspelled before putting this stuff online.

Is there some way I can correct this sloppiness at the full database level? Unlike some others' experiences, my 536 scanner works beautifully, but this other stuff is a shoddy nuisance each time I use what is my favorite scanner.

N7CAS

It's always something simple!

Thank you both for the help.

At both of your suggestions, I checked Sentinel's Profile. Sure enough, if one clicks on the Edit menu, the Edit Profile command, and then clicks on the Display Options tab, the Opening Message section down at the lower left corner reads... "Uniden Barecat."

I did not change it. (And, no, buddrousa, sir, no one else uses my computer... in fact before your assistance I was not aware of the Display Options feature, LOL; thus, my query).

A quick correction in the Opening Message field and it's back to Bearcat being spelled correctly the way it was before the update last month. Still, that "Barecat" spelling is the way the Sentinel software updated! Just because I noticed it should not infer that no one else has; some people, lots of people, might not have noticed (part of my day job life is that of proofreader — second nature!, or let alone cared if they had, to ask about it.

The best part though? It's realizing I can have it display (duh!) anything I want! So I've changed one of the fields to my call sign.

However, the second part of my question remains: what about the typos — not a lot, but some — in various Department and/or Channel names, all of which were correct prior to my update?

Is there a way to change them at the Sentinel database level? Because I'm assuming there isn't. But I learn a lot about asking questions about my assumptions). I'm surmising that the editing function is strictly possible at the Favorite Lists level only. The full database, forget it.

It's still disappointing, though, that Uniden does not appear to have vetted the firmware/software update very well (one would think they'd check their own trade name in partnership with Radioreference or not!). Then, again, since Sentinel is a Radioreference database, I'm thinking I should submit corrections to the admins there.

Thanks again, both of you guys.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

It's still disappointing, though, that Uniden does not appear to have vetted the firmware/software update very well (one would think they'd check their own trade name in partnership with Radioreference or not!). Then, again, since Sentinel is a Radioreference database, I'm thinking I should submit corrections to the admins there.

There were many, many posts about the "Barecat" misspelling when it was first noticed some time ago.

What version of Sentinel are you using? Help---> About... from the top menu bar in Sentinel.

Also, if you are noticing typos in the database, you can submit corrections here:

Submit Data to RadioReference

Any misspellings there could be from previous submissions by other members.... it is a user-contributed database.

budevans

Thank you both for the help.

At both of your suggestions, I checked Sentinel's Profile. Sure enough, if one clicks on the Edit menu, the Edit Profile command, and then clicks on the Display Options tab, the Opening Message section down at the lower left corner reads... "Uniden Barecat."

I did not change it. (And, no, buddrousa, sir, no one else uses my computer... in fact before your assistance I was not aware of the Display Options feature, LOL; thus, my query).

A quick correction in the Opening Message field and it's back to Bearcat being spelled correctly the way it was before the update last month. Still, that "Barecat" spelling is the way the Sentinel software updated! Just because I noticed it should not infer that no one else has; some people, lots of people, might not have noticed (part of my day job life is that of proofreader — second nature!, or let alone cared if they had, to ask about it.

The best part though? It's realizing I can have it display (duh!) anything I want! So I've changed one of the fields to my call sign.

However, the second part of my question remains: what about the typos — not a lot, but some — in various Department and/or Channel names, all of which were correct prior to my update?

Is there a way to change them at the Sentinel database level? Because I'm assuming there isn't. But I learn a lot about asking questions about my assumptions). I'm surmising that the editing function is strictly possible at the Favorite Lists level only. The full database, forget it.

Thanks again, both of you guys.

N7CAS,

Same thing happened when I did the firmware update to my 436. I was looking at the screen when my scanner rebooted. I just had to laugh.

As if Uniden hasn't had enough missteps with the x36 line. I'm waiting to see what gems well get in the next update.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.