Calvert County new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Calvert County had a walk through earlier this month for potential vendors for their communications system. Unfortunately, county officials feel that it is good public policy not to publish a RFP, and require potential bidders to preregister to obtain materials to assist in formulating their bids.

marksmith

Maybe as the bids start getting into the tens of $ millions, they will re-think this process.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Can you say...Motorola...

Oldest dirty trick in their arsenal..

maus92

Premium Subscriber
The RFP is (should be) a public document that sets out broad parameters about what the buyer - a county in this case, theoretically answerable to its citizens - is seeking, although specific technical details can be kept private for various reasons. For example, the client may ask for 2 network pathways between a site and controller, or a mesh network, whatever. But the client may not want to specifically describe their existing network architecture / facilities in a RFP for security reasons - which is reasonable. Then we get into NDAs that both the client and bidders might sign to keep proprietary designs private - but that stuff is beyond the scope of an RFP.

marksmith

I think Motorola writes most of the specs for the RFP's that are issued and provides them to the municipalities to help them thru the RFP process. Makes it easier for Motorola to comply with the RFP.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I think Motorola writes most of the specs for the RFP's that are issued and provides them to the municipalities to help them thru the RFP process. Makes it easier for Motorola to comply with the RFP.

Mark
536/HP1e/HP2e/996P2/996XT/396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

I hope thats not the case because that would be tantamount to collusion.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Not in any way saying it is the case here but it does happen more than you would think.
State agency accused of slanting requests for radio bids | The Des Moines Register | desmoinesregister.com

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I can see an agency writing specs for knobs and buttons - in other words, ergonometric qualities. But to specify exact dimensions without proper documentary backup (like a NIST or equivalent study that supports said dimensions,) certainly gives the appearance that the DNR wanted Motorola equipment. What would be better would be to specify "the ability to change TG / Channels with one hand, or transmit using gloved hands," or something similar. Anyway, this seems to be the agency tailoring the RFP for a specific vendor, rather than a vendor writing the RFP for the agency. Could the vendor be giving some backchannel advice? I can see that....

rpoole23

When St. Mary's went to upgrade their miserable system, they dedicated an entire webpage to the radio upgrade process (not sure if it is still up or not) as I was able to download and read later the ENTIRE proposal the County was looking for and what potential companies should be able to provide. But have to agree with you all when it comes to the big "M"...

DisasterGuy

I don't know the politics of Southern Maryland but it would appear they would be prime for a regional system approach. With Saint Mary's already invested in a solid P25 network model throw 1 extra core in Charles and 1 in Calvert and bring it online as a single regional model.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.