Little Pickup, Letter "F"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio2Scene

I'm confused...

I set up my brand new WS1080, customized it to my liking, even upgraded to the latest firmware etc

However, none of my scanlists are picking up anything except for one which is currently picking up both CHP and Hayward PD but none of the others some seven departments on one scanlist are coming in.Also individual departments in their own scanlists aren't coming in either. All departments use the same EBRCS (East Bay Regional Communications System) which is APCO Phase 1 oriented.

First I used the zipcode feature but quickly regretted that, started over and this time used the browse library feature to nitpick what I wanted and imported over to each customized scanlist. I suspected part of the problem might be related to the letter "F" being next to every city except for the one that comes in and two others. I don't know what the F means though and each city with the F next to it I'm unable to select. Reference image.

Another issue I've just had within the past few minutes is when I attempt to enter a Frequency manually with digits, the screen freezes and the scanner shut down.

Radio2Scene

Any particular reason why the library import from RR doesn't include every city in my county? They are all part of EBRCS a Phase 1 system. Currently only three cities of 14 are working, when I use the EZScan software, in Library Import, it states "No frequencies available", how is that possible when every city in the county uses the same system and three others are working perfectly? This is so annoying!

I've copied the entire library to my scanner twice now and the frequencies still aren't included, yet when you navigate to RR's live feeds you can plainly hear the cities I'm trying to get on my scanner. So WTF?

Radio2Scene

This website is useless! Delete my thread, shut down my account I don't care. Waste of effort and time.

QDP2012

Welcome to Radio Reference.

This website is useless! Delete my thread, shut down my account I don't care. Waste of effort and time.

Since I am not familiar with the scanner model you mention, I cannot give advice on how to resolve your problem with it. This site is very useful to many people for a variety of reasons. There are many people here who are often willing to help. That willingness can lessen in certain circumstances.

Your question was posted on what for many people in the U.S. is a long holiday weekend. As such, it might be better if you choose to expect some delay in response-time from those who might choose to help you. Even on a day that is not a holiday, expecting a satisfactory answer to be provided in less than 18 hours (the time between your first and last post above) is usually an unrealistic expectation. Realistically, you might not get a reply for several days, and might not get a full solution until several people post their replies.

If you wish to patiently wait for assistance, I would encourage that.
If you wish to delete/deactivate your account, you will need to log-in to your database-account using the log-in link at the top of the screen, and choose the "Delete/Deactivate" tab. Usually, the moderators here do not delete accounts.

Hope this helps,

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
A title like Little Pickup, Letter "F" won't get much help. What the heck does that mean. How do you expect anyone to help you when you don't even include the state and county you live in so we can look at the database. If you don't have any more patience than this I don't think this hobby is right for you.

Last edited:

k1agh

Premium Subscriber
Im going to guess California by him saying CHP and Hayward PD. Now looking at the database on here you should have the right info unless you mesed something up. Pebcas seems to be an issue. What type of antenna you using and what town are you in?

Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
Providing your location would definitely help -- and some patience is critical. We've all been their and experience has shown that coming up to speed on how to program your radio takes some time.

I was in Berkeley last year and listened to area systems (including some sites of EBRCS) without problems. However, keep in mind that you probably won't receive all 8 system sites from a given fixed location. If you import all of them, the radio will lock onto the best site and that site may not have alot of activity on it (it's a stretch but it's possible).

For EBRCS, I'd recommend only (at least initially) importing the site that is closest to your location ... and then only the control channel frequencies.

You may not see every city listed in the database listings because some transmitter sites cover wider areas. The trunked system listings are typically indicating where the sites are vs. each town or city they cover.

I've poked around in EZ Scan and didn't "F" on anything but I'm not sure what you were looking at (don't know what you were trying to import). However, there are some systems that no scanner can handle and I'm assuming that may be what you are seeing.

Tell us where you are located and what you are trying to import and listen to....

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I am not familiar with the WS-1080, but is it possible he is tracking a control channel that does not have the talk-groups he is missing associated with it?

A title like Little Pickup, Letter "F" won't get much help. What the heck does that mean. ...

The only reason I clicked on this thread is because I thought "What the heck does that mean?".

troymail

Silent Key
If the F he is talking about is the recordings full indicator, either the radio isn't new or there is something wrong with the SD card. Either way, shouldn't have anything to do with reception.

baptistjcat

The F in a circle means audio is enabled but recording is suspended,the s d card is almost out of space, delete or archive older audio files to make room for new recordings.
This info was found in the ws 1080 manual.

baptistjcat

He is in the Hayward ca area, Hayward is anolog but the surrounding cities are phase 1 perhaps he needs a directional anteena?

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber

Karen, is this you? Don't panic.

Remember the time I told you I wanted to go steady and you told me to drink prune juice? Next morning I had 2 cups of coffee, a bran muffin and prune juice then got caught in a traffic jam. That is the definition of panic.

Sorry, if this is not Karen

troymail

Silent Key
Karen, is this you? Don't panic.

Remember the time I told you I wanted to go steady and you told me to drink prune juice? Next morning I had 2 cups of coffee, a bran muffin and prune juice then got caught in a traffic jam. That is the definition of panic.

Sorry, if this is not Karen

Ok, well.... None of that is in the manual....
:D

baptistjcat

It was not that long ago when I was first trying to learn the art of using my ws 1080 and learning the in and outs of the digital world of scanning. I too found myself becoming frustrated. I decided to follow the advise of those on RR that have much more experience then I. Take a deep breath ,relax and keep at it. I'm glad that I did because now I really enjoy my 1080 and I don't have any problems at all. So I will continue to follow the wisdom of Beernutz .when I find myself in a panic I will drink prune juice , coffee and eat bran muffins .

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with my pro 668. It was the way I was importing stuff into the scanner. I resulted to importing frequencies in from the database itself on the sd card of scanner. If I imported frequencies in from the computer to the scanner it wouldn't pick up much anything.

sehd510

I'm having a similar issue I can't get my ws1080 to scan Alameda County either all it does pickup is Berkeley, Hayward, and Pleasanton but those cities are analog based. It also doesn't pickup any P25 transmissions not even from other counties only analog frequencies. Even tried just doing ALCO SW since that site is very close to me in the next town over and no joy.

Radio? This the "F" you are talking about? Any city that has this "F" next to it is un-selectable in the library on the sd card. I have personally deleted everything on the card and then re copied everything back over again and it still doesn't correct the situation. I'm about ready to send mine back as I have been fighting with it for nearly two weeks and gotten nothing back from it except dead batteries lol.

I miss the good old days when I could turn on my analog scanner and just have it work with little to no fuss.

Attachments

• WS1080MPI.JPG
    WS1080MPI.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 394

DonS

I'm having a similar issue I can't get my ws1080 to scan Alameda County either all it does pickup is Berkeley, Hayward, and Pleasanton but those cities are analog based. It also doesn't pickup any P25 transmissions not even from other counties only analog frequencies. Even tried just doing ALCO SW since that site is very close to me in the next town over and no joy.

Radio? This the "F" you are talking about? Any city that has this "F" next to it is un-selectable in the library on the sd card. I have personally deleted everything on the card and then re copied everything back over again and it still doesn't correct the situation. I'm about ready to send mine back as I have been fighting with it for nearly two weeks and gotten nothing back from it except dead batteries lol.

I miss the good old days when I could turn on my analog scanner and just have it work with little to no fuss.

I'll presume you got to that display via:
Browse Library -> United States -> California -> Counties/Cities -> Alameda -> Categories -> Cities

The little 'F' next to the city names means that there are no conventional channels (frequencies) in the RadioReference database for those cities.

Look at the RR page below, and note that under "Cities", places like Alameda, Albany, Dublin, etc. have no frequencies listed. That's what the little 'F' is telling you.
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=183

Status
Not open for further replies.