• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Astro Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motorola Astro Spectra FAIL CODE 08-10

few years ago a friend of mine got many Motorola Astro Spectra's dash mount radio's Model T99DX+089W_ASTRO 1 MEG tried to read this radio many time trouble is when you turn it on show's FAIL CODE 08-10 something to do with the siren any idea's how it can be read?

Last edited:

cmdrwill

Correct, it may be a missing external device like a siren or extenter.

Not sure on the ASTRO if you can read the radio without clearing the fail code.

i was able to read and program the radio now new problem is i have 15 in the scan list and the SCAN button does not make the radio scan the home,dim ect buttons work even changed the scan to other buttons nothing i have been programing radios for years i have never seen this happen before its a nice VHF ASTRO Mobile maybe i'm going to find a buyer

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Failing/leaking capacitors plague the Astro Spectra/analog Spectra and cause odd things to happen. If you could read/write fine and the radio was operating normally, this would be the next path to follow.

Keep in mind, many of these radios are 15-20 years old now.

jayd43

Astro Spectra wont scan

My Spectra has to have the Microphone in the grounded mounting clip for the scan to activate. try grounding the hang up button on the Mic to get the scan to run.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
My Spectra has to have the Microphone in the grounded mounting clip for the scan to activate. try grounding the hang up button on the Mic to get the scan to run.

This. From what I remember all of the public safety grade /\/\ radios have to have the mic hung up to enable scanning. Luckily with Motorola you don't have to ground the hanger, just put the mic in a metal hanger or short the top of the button out with the back of the mic with a nickel or quarter.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Okay. So I purchased the radio back in August, just this week got around to messing with it (I was putting off building a mid-power programming cable). I'm updating this post simply to inform something to look for. I had some help from the Communication Support forums, but it took about 3 days (on and off) to diagnose and figure out.

1) When I initially powered up the radio, it gave no fail/error codes.

2) When I read the radio and started playing with the codeplug I noticed all personalities were set to RX, and in Scan configuration HUB defeat was checked. So if scan would've been working, it wouldn't have actually worked without having the microphone hung up (or the pins jumpered).

Beyond that, I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't scan (or transmit when I switch it over to local amateur repeaters). It also was keying on power up (until TOT expired) and would emit a tone on every channel.

With the help of the guys at Communications.support I was able to track down the culprit. At some point, someone installed a new control head interface board. The one installed was model HLN6066B. HLN6066B was for the Spectra and discontinued mid-production (around 1990). It was succeeded by HLN6401 and HLN6286. HLN6285 is still available (~$100) as it is a part used in Astro 25 mobiles as well. I checked an A7 Spectra I had laying around, had HLN6286 and I simply swapped them (if its a problem with the A7 I'll fix it later). Everything works now.

cmdrwill

Yes, there have been several changes to the control head interface boards over the years. Some are not even documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.