HP-2 bezel coating peeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I have a HP-2 that's about a week old, and the matte coating on the bezel is peeling off (leaving shinny plastic underneath.) Anybody else seen this?

marksmith

I have a couple HP-2 radios. Sort of thought it was some rubber product. Nothing peeling off though. Not yet.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

wa3pnt

What environment is the HP-2 in that the bezel is peeling?

In a hot car? In an environmentally controlled home?

Curious, as I'm about to take a 2 week trip with my HP-2.

RodeoGeorge

daveharpe

I haven't had this issue yet. I keep mine indoors/air conditioning and bought the unit about a month after release...

maus92

Premium Subscriber
What environment is the HP-2 in that the bezel is peeling?

In a hot car? In an environmentally controlled home?

Curious, as I'm about to take a 2 week trip with my HP-2.

RodeoGeorge

In my a/c'd suv and my a/c'd home. For some reason the matte coating has not bonded well with the plastic bezel

wa3pnt

Thanks Dave and Maus.

Not a lot of people chiming in with the issue, so hopefully it's not affecting the majority of units. Possibly just a bad run.

Would be interesting if the people with the problem would post the first portion of their serial number, so that we can see if there is a commonality.

RodeoGeorge

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
Mine is fine in SWIdaho

No problems so far have had it about 4 months

normally In my car in garage here in Boise SW Idaho temps for the last 8 days above 100

Only.problem I have is the upper left windshield RAM suction cup mount loosing suction (makes total sense in heat) and the HP2 is left hanging by the RG-174/SMA ant cable and the USB 12 volt outlet cable so of course check it periodically.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I'd post a picture if I could figure out how do do it on this board. I use a RAM mount that's attached to the front passenger seat rail. I'm a bit disappointed since the HP-2 only about a week old. It also looks the the opposite corner is beginning to peel as well.

Edit: OK, I'll admit I'm lazy researching how to post pic, one is below: Please pardon the trash on the floor :0

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 581
Last edited:

daveharpe

I just looked at my old HP-1 and mine is peeling in the exact same spot...although not as bad as yours. My HP-2 is fine for now.

RJS

Premium Subscriber
Mine too

Very similar to maus92 post and picture above. Same corner, same peeling. Unit is 4 months old.

XTS3000

My Logitech Harmony One and 900 both have done the same thing as you guys HP2's. The grippy rubber has worn off. It only gets worse over time.

Interesting my Harmony 1100 has the same rubber coating and has not shown any signs of wearing off, even after 3+ years of daily use.

I think the problem is from the manufacturer not preparing the surface properly before applying the thin rubber coating.

safetypro79

Scanning since 1967
Premium Subscriber
Anchorage-Alaska, Boise-Idaho, Salem-Oregon
I suspect it's not much an issue.....

With Uniden, they seem to have bigger quality issues with other scanners

since it's a coating realisticty it's probably not a big deal other than astetics mine ( new 6-15) has peeled slightly I really don't pay much attention since it does not affect preformance

KE0GXN

Yeah, but you would think with a product as expensive as this (at least for me is), the last thing you need to worry about is the paint peeling off of it.

But I hear ya, as long as the thing scans good...life is good.

SOFA_KING

Problem is it will be much harder to sell. And you didn't even abuse it, but it looks as if you did.

Just where is tha QUALITY ASSURANCE at Uniden? Don't they test anything before selling it?

My HP-1 has a little of the same issue, but I did probably do it myself when I took it traveling. That's life on the road for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.