CHP Golden Gate question

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveandcorie

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a new BCD 396XT. I have downloaded the "free scan" software and I have uploaded the frequencies from this page:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=995

But how do I find the frequency for the most popular and heavily listened to frequency which is here:

California Highway Patrol SFBA - Golden Gate Division

Online you can listen to it, on my iPhone I can listen to it on 5-0 Radio but how do I find out what frequency that is on so I can upload it on my new scanner?

Thanks,

Dave...

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at the map in the RR CHP Wiki. It shows the individual offices within each division. Obviously, the office closest to you will be of primary interest. The San Francisco and San Jose offices are probably the busiest since they have the most traffic. The outlying areas are going to be quieter. If you want to identify the frequencies in the feed listen for the unit numbers. The first two or three digits are the office and the last numbers/letters are the patrol area. You can then cross reference that info to the RR listings to see what channel you are actually listening to. Bear in mind that the person operating the feed may have better antennas than you do and may hear a lot more that you will with a simple antenna.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
The scanner feed lists the counties covered and you want the names of the associated CHP offices. Here you go: S.F county and area office are the same name, San Mateo would be Redwood City, Santa Clara is San Jose, Alameda is Oakland, Hayward, and Dublin. Contra Costa is Contra Costa Area. Marin County is Marin Area. Hope this helps.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

What you're hearing on a stream may sound nothing like what you're able to receive on your own. There are several reasons for this. First, your location. The person hosting the stream may have a better location than you for picking up the signals. Second, antenna. Your scanner can only hear what the antenna sees. Portable antennas rarely cut it for CHP.

Lastly is the specific frequencies being scanned. But that's complex too because of how the CHP radio system works. Each channel does not just come from a single transmission point. You may be closer to one transmission while the person originating the stream may be closer to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.