My 6-week old BCD536HP continuously reboots / power cycles at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Not much else to say. After the scanner had been sitting there happily scanning along with the OEM power supply and SD card, it rebooted all by itself, and now is stuck rebooting in a loop. It loads the FLs, then beeps, then the screen goes dark, repeat.

I've tried:
- a different power supply
- a different SD card

Any thoughts before it goes back, or do I have yet another Uniden disappointment?

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Did you try a different card with different data or the same data? Maybe the original data is corrupted and causing the resets???

an39511

Install a new SD card. For some reason the original 4GB card that come with the units have a high failure rate. I have three of the BCD536HP and all of the cards failed. I got new ones for a few dollars and have not had any further problems. If you send it back to Uniden they may just install another one that will fail in short order.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Different data. That seem pretty unlikely in any event, as the radio had been operating correctly continuously with the same data for weeks, and rebooted all on its own out of the blue while sitting there scanning without being touched.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Install a new SD card. For some reason the original 4GB card that come with the units have a high failure rate. I have three of the BCD536HP and all of the cards failed. I got new ones for a few dollars and have not had any further problems. If you send it back to Uniden they may just install another one that will fail in short order.

Thanks. As noted, I tried that (with a Samsung card that works fine in my 436).

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Great. Now it's intermittent. After trying it 20 times with various SD card, power supply, even speaker combinations and having it cycle reboots, I just turned it on with the original wart and SD card, and now it's scanning apparently as it should be.

This setup is supposed to go in the communications center at our county EOC, but if it's not going to be any more reliable than that, maybe I'll have to rethink things....

Whistle-Shack

This setup is supposed to go in the communications center at our county EOC, but if it's not going to be any more reliable than that, maybe I'll have to rethink things....

Rethinking would be your best way to go(in my opinion).Get your money back before its to late.Need something reliable,pick up a ws1095.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Did changing out the power supplies include trying the supplied 120V cord?

The scanner should still be under warranty.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Did changing out the power supplies include trying the supplied 120V cord?

The scanner should still be under warranty.

The radio does not come with a 120V cord. It only runs on 12VDC. And as noted in my posts, I tried the supplied power supply and a different power supply.

MidTNScanDude

Mine reboots Constantly if I try to use an external speaker (tried several) it's just one of the many FAILS the "Top Shelf" scanner has.

marksmith

Return it ASAP. If you don't need recording, get the 996p2 which is a ton more reliable with no SD card.

If you need recording, get one of the Whistler radios (1095, 1080) or a non x36 Uniden (HP-2).

The x36 radios have too many issues to be considered for a reliable installation like that.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

kb8rvp

Have you tried turning it on while plugged into a computer. You should get a message to go into programming mode and you press the yes or E to connect the SD card to the computer then you can reload your programming to the SCDcard to see if it resolves the issue. You can also try updating the firmware as well.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.