Yellowstone loses radio frequencies used to track wildlife

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Let's see: Uncle Sam doesn't renew the necessary licenses for their own existing tracking collars, allows another entity (NorthWestern) to be legally licensed for that chunk of spectrum in the same geographic area, and then is magically surprised to find "interference" with the collar signals... SMH

At the very least, I guess this makes for excellent PR and media coverage for NorthWestern Energy.

Voyager

Interesing... "Northwestern spokesman Butch Larcombe said the company was using those portions of its frequencies that interfere least with the wildlife collars."

Part of the frequencies, huh? FDMA? USB? LSB?

prcguy

They usually use VHF or sometimes 220MHz for animal tracking collars. Basically someone dropped the ball and let a license expire and the new licensee has every right to use the frequency. The FCC usually notifies licensees when they are about to expire but that's only a courtesy mail notice and they don't follow up.

If the holders of the expired license continue to operate, as in the collars are still transmitting, then they are in violation just like a freeband CBer. Its nice the power company is working with the researchers, but its their problem and there is no good solution.
prcguy

ecps92

Odd. As the NTIA generally handles Federal Agencies, not the FCC

Looking at the FCC licenses, I see UHF (451/452) nothing in the VHF that is generally used for Radio Collar tracking.

Let's see: Uncle Sam doesn't renew the necessary licenses for their own existing tracking collars, allows another entity (NorthWestern) to be legally licensed for that chunk of spectrum in the same geographic area, and then is magically surprised to find "interference" with the collar signals... SMH

At the very least, I guess this makes for excellent PR and media coverage for NorthWestern Energy.

VFN05

Here's the assignment for the rookie at the FCC...

"Track down all those wolves, and give each one a NAL for transmitting without a valid license."

That sounds almost like an old firehouse prank! :)

Jason

Stephen

I think the frequencies where not license under the park but a research entity, due to the fact they stated they were licensed to an individual that retired.So I am sure the FCC was the entity that provided the license.

ecps92

Could be, but he was (reading the story) an Employee of the USFWS (Federal Agency)

Searching the FCC only returns an expired business 151.xxx license for a different Bangs
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Me...imit_select=1&sortstring=,+lic_name,+file_num

". It had been under the name of Ed Bangs, who led the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service effort to reintroduce wolves to the park in the 1990s. When Bangs retired in 2011, the license was never renewed, park officials said."

Read more: Yellowstone loses radio frequencies used to track wildlife - WFSB 3 Connecticut

I think the frequencies where not license under the park but a research entity, due to the fact they stated they were licensed to an individual that retired.So I am sure the FCC was the entity that provided the license.

Bruce42

Was it the 450s or the leased 216 MHz?

Take a look at the lease L000010890 that is listed for Northwestern. It has the 216 MHz frequencies that may have been the trackers.

BJ...

Status
Not open for further replies.