3 Year Warranties - Step Up Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

As I mentioned in an earlier post, with all of the problems which seem to be plaguing the current Uniden Line, I think it's time for Uniden to step up to the plate, take responsibility, and give all current and future buyers of the BCD536HP, the BCD436HP and the HP-2, an unconditional 3 year warranty. Not only would this boost sales, but it would provide a greater window of opportunity for purchasers to resolve problems that have cropped up with these units.

Specifically, the "flagship" 536 has had problems with defective earphone jacks, issues with the real time clock circuitry and battery, and now, apparently as indicated by overwhelming reports, with defective illuminating bulbs for the display. All this in a unit in which some of the key features which were promised at sale time have yet to materialize, now some 18 or months so later. So there may be other problems which are going to occur that we are not even aware of yet.

I'm not as familiar with the specific issues facing users of the 436 units, but I have recently become very disheartened to learn of new problem with the HP-2 series, a unit which was released several months ago. It appears, from a number of reports posted here on the forums, that the painted surfaces of some of the HP-2 units have been peeling off. This has been reported in units that have only been in operation for several weeks or so.

While this is more of a cosmetic problem than an operational issue, no one wants to spend four or five hundred dollars on a unit whose surfaces are going to deteriorate so quickly, and for no apparent reason. This could also greatly affect the resale value of a unit, albeit well-kept and maintained, appearing to be mishandled and abused.

In addition, it has been reported here that the clock circuitry in the HP-2 is similar to that in the 536, and while issues with the clock have not been reported yet in the HP-2, we are left wondering if it is only a matter of time (no pun intended) before these issues also surface.

It would seem, that given all of these issues, some of which do not appear until sometime after the units are initially purchased, that Uniden do the right thing, and offer a 3 year warranty to all current of future purchasers of these units. As you may recall, they did this with units that were returned for repair of the headphone issue, simply because the number of units being returned for repair were so numerous, that in order to accommodate a quick turn-around, purchasers received units that had belonged to someone else.

Now I am proposing that Uniden simply extend this 3 year warranty to ALL purchasers of the forementioned units--- not only do I believe that it would extend an olive-branch to all those affected by these problems, but it would also comfort many of us who have invested so heavily in these Uniden products, and wonder, from day to day, what will fail next.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
As I mentioned in an earlier post, with all of the problems which seem to be plaguing the current Uniden Line, I think it's time for Uniden to step up to the plate, take responsibility, and give all current and future buyers of the BCD536HP, the BCD436HP and the HP-2, an unconditional 3 year warranty. Not only would this boost sales, but it would provide a greater window of opportunity for purchasers to resolve problems that have cropped up with these units.

Specifically, the "flagship" 536 has had problems with defective earphone jacks, issues with the real time clock circuitry and battery, and now, apparently as indicated by overwhelming reports, with defective illuminating bulbs for the display. All this in a unit in which some of the key features which were promised at sale time have yet to materialize, now some 18 or months so later. So there may be other problems which are going to occur that we are not even aware of yet.

I'm not as familiar with the specific issues facing users of the 436 units, but I have recently become very disheartened to learn of new problem with the HP-2 series, a unit which was released several months ago. It appears, from a number of reports posted here on the forums, that the painted surfaces of some of the HP-2 units have been peeling off. This has been reported in units that have only been in operation for several weeks or so.

While this is more of a cosmetic problem than an operational issue, no one wants to spend four or five hundred dollars on a unit whose surfaces are going to deteriorate so quickly, and for no apparent reason. This could also greatly affect the resale value of a unit, albeit well-kept and maintained, appearing to be mishandled and abused.

In addition, it has been reported here that the clock circuitry in the HP-2 is similar to that in the 536, and while issues with the clock have not been reported yet in the HP-2, we are left wondering if it is only a matter of time (no pun intended) before these issues also surface.

It would seem, that given all of these issues, some of which do not appear until sometime after the units are initially purchased, that Uniden do the right thing, and offer a 3 year warranty to all current of future purchasers of these units. As you may recall, they did this with units that were returned for repair of the headphone issue, simply because the number of units being returned for repair were so numerous, that in order to accommodate a quick turn-around, purchasers received units that had belonged to someone else.

Now I am proposing that Uniden simply extend this 3 year warranty to ALL purchasers of the forementioned units--- not only do I believe that it would extend an olive-branch to all those affected by these problems, but it would also comfort many of us who have invested so heavily in these Uniden products, and wonder, from day to day, what will fail next.

Although I appreciate your post, it won't happen. This company has continually crapped on their customers for the last few years. Last thing they are going to do is light a candle to keep the smell down.

I'll be surprised if Uniden is around in 3 years.

marksmith

Uniden does not even acknowledge the screen dying on the 536 yet, and if they know a solution for it they don't seem to be telling anyone, even if the solution is to pay to have it fixed.

Does that sound like a company that is going to cover the cost of warranty repairs on the most troubled, highest priced scanner ever made?

If the flagship sinks, how's your navy?

I have 2 HP-2e radios that except for the lousy SD card supplied that I needed to replace have been trouble free radios that have not even required a firmware fix for anything yet.

Pretty much have given up on being able to use my 536 anymore. Bad taste in my mouth.

Mark
536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/
396XT/PSR800/PRO668/PRO652

XTS3000

Uniden is stalling so they don't have to cover the RTC and dim display under warranty. Every day that passes without a proper solution/fix, more and more "flagship" scanners go out of warranty.

When my RTC failed, I still had a few weeks left under the 1 year warranty. Of course 6 months later, not a peep from Uniden on a proper fix. Now, no warranty even though the problem occurred during the warranty period.

I called Uniden today and the lady said there are no warranty extensions at this time. She mentioned the headphone jack problem 536HP's did have a 3 year warranty if they were originally sent back for repair. The fact she knew about the headphone jack issue of over a year ago tells me she knows what's going on.

Unidens silence and lack of keeping us updated on these MAJOR issues speaks volumes! The only conclusion that I can come up with is Uniden is clueless on how to repair these issues. If the company that designed and manufactured this product can't identify and fix these problems, they should immediately stop shipping and selling these x36's until the design defects are identified and fixed. Uniden continues to sell these defective scanners. What a crappy way to treat your customers.... Selling knowingly defective scanners.

Uniden has deceived all of us who bought these x36's from day one. Not one single deadline was meet when promised features and fixes. That's called deceptive business practices.

wise871

Database Admin
I agree with the above comments about Uniden. Don't know what happen to Uniden but things have sure gone down hill. I have an original 996T that runs all the time and I have had no problems with it and the display works perfect. Guess they just don't build them like they use too.

The last official mention buy UPMan on anything was the RTC issue on 05-07-2015. Still no word on the dimming issue which is getting more wide spread. But then again we are talking about a almost 2 year old flagship. :wink:

MStep

I would certainly hope and expect that Paul Opitz, who is the Uniden representative on this forum under the name of UPMan, reads my post and those of the others here and takes to heart the concerns expressed. I believe that a 3 year warranty would at least allay some of the fears that folks have with regard to having to make additional expenditures for the repair of what appears to be design and manufacturing problems.

Having recently acquired a new 536, I think that many would agree that a PROPERLY WORKING unit is a pretty damn good piece of radio equipment. I've used the radio extensively at home and in my vehicle. And I like many of the "bells & whistles" that the unit offers, several of which are not clearly explained or immediately evident in the manual and which came as pleasant surprises.

I think the priority function is one of the best currently available, and while not perfect, at least provides a degree of useability. The ability to combine scan, search and close-call abilities simultaneously is also a great feature. There are several others, which I will not enumerate on at this time.

The 436 and the HP-2 are also fine units in their own right, and I believe that Uniden would be giving a great boost not only to current sales, but also to consumer satisfaction, in extending the warranty period to 3 years. I had hoped that posters to this thread, in lieu of criticizing Uniden (and I certainly agree that they deserve the backlash), would use this forum to come on board and encourage Uniden to implement this change in their warranty policy.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
Paul is the face of Uniden in these forums, but I doubt he can wave his hand and make warranty extensions happen. Paul is an employee. A senior employee I am sure, but it's unlikely he is the one with the final decision on warranties, etc.

Pretty certain he takes these (and other issues) to his management for final decision. And he is well aware of all the problems with the x36, just look at the same 30 posters continuing to post about the same thing... in thousands of posts

Hulca

My warranty should start when I receive the whole product that I paid in full for. Correct?

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
My warranty should start when I receive the whole product that I paid in full for. Correct?

A consumer warranty should start on the day that you can prove that you were the original purchaser of the product.
In theory, the date on your receipt or invoice, unless printed terms say otherwise. For example, a used or refurbished item may have different warranty lengths.

In the absence of a proof of purchase, a manufacturer can warranty an item from the date of manufacture.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

troymail

Silent Key
Not sure why you would post false and misleading information like this:

When the facts have been posted previously:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...x36hp-losing-clock-setting-3.html#post2349425

Unfortunately, this is/may be the last problem that Paul acknowledged. As far as I know, there has been crickets on problems reported after the clock issue... I suspect this is because the more you acknowledge problems, the more it's costing the company in both new sales as well as accepting responsibility for the repairs. The problems are multiplied if you really don't have a fix for the problems. Further - all of what has been promised in flashy sale pitches for coming up on two years now hasn't yet even been delivered. At this point, there are so many issues, it seems they don't know where to start... almost as if they've thrown their hands in the air. Sad.

wise871

Database Admin
In all honesty what can Uniden really do at this point? The majority of there flagship scanners are or will eventually develop the RTC and Dim Display problem. Were seeing it more and more every week. I know one of my original 536HP just started having the battery issue today and it's used and plugged in daily.

The headphone campaign was a major event that only effected the initial run of scanners. What users are reporting now effects pretty much all there 436/536. And sending them in still doesn't fix the problems because users have already reported that the problems have returned after the fix. Back in May they acknowledged there was a RTC issues and they were still working on it. Since then it has been quite yet 436/536 continue to sale which continues to flood the market with more problems down the road. I'm surprised Uniden hasn't stopped the sales of the 436\536 until they resolved the problems. There not only hurting themselves but the consumer.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider

What exactly is missing on your device?

Not trolling but interested in what you "paid in full for" that has not been addressed relating to its stated features on the box. Android apps, and remote control over the Internet don't count as those were never promised at release.

Hulca

The 436 was advertised to include the analyze feature. It took over a year for Uniden to deliver what I should have had on day one.

Finally got something they call the analyze feature. Their result of this feature is very very poor, in my opinion.
But Uniden can finally check that box off as delivered. Now, I finally have what I ordered and paid for. Now my warranty period should start.

wise871

Database Admin
Looks like Uniden America Facebook Page is now monitoring the "post to page". I asked a couple questions pertaining to RTC and display on there to see if I would get better results. My post are not showing up even though it says loaded successfully. The last post allowed was on June 26, yet Unidens own post are up to date. Has it come down to this now??

k3fs

No. The analyze functions have not been delivered. It was stated to have the advanced analyze functions of the HP extreme upgrade including band scope. The analyze functions released, do not even come close to what was advertised.

I am happy to see that as far as the RTC clock issues go, the warranty period will not run out. It would be nice to see an official statement regarding that on their site.

The dimming issues should be handled the same way.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
The 436 was advertised to include the analyze feature. It took over a year for Uniden to deliver what I should have had on day one.

Finally got something they call the analyze feature. Their result of this feature is very very poor, in my opinion.
But Uniden can finally check that box off as delivered. Now, I finally have what I ordered and paid for. Now my warranty period should start.

did you not read my correct reply, or did you ignore it because it didnt match the scenario you made up in your head?

A consumer warranty on a product starts on the date of original purchase of the product, or in an absence of proof of purchase, the date of manufacture.

Voyager

I like that line of thought. I have a car that has delamination, so my warranty should not start until I get paint that doesn't fall off.

I wonder if Ford will look at it the same way...

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
did you not read my correct reply, or did you ignore it because it didnt match the scenario you made up in your head?

Don't you know these forums are full of apparently unemployed MBA's who know how to run a business far better than the companies that currently do? Not just Uniden, but Radio Shack, GRE when they were alive, Yeasu, Kenwood, etc.

Even if Uniden came out and said OK, everyone with an x36 gets a free replacement unit, the hue and cry would start - WHERE IS ProVoice/TRBO/DMR/free cake??????

Status
Not open for further replies.