• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CPS version last used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4RMT

Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to find out what version of CPS was used to program a radio? I'm getting a read error on an XTS2500 i picked up in a trade. Radio works fine, it just won't connect in CPS.

XTS3000

What error message is showing in the CPS?

If you need newer CPS, the CPS will pop up an error window saying a later version of CPS is needed.

N4RMT

Premium Subscriber
Oh OK. I'm getting a "radio failed to acknowledge" message. It's a Kawamall cable, but ive never gotten a bad one before. I don't know. Maybe the radio needs a full charge. Maybe my COM port has gone bad.

XTS3000

Rather than just press the "Read Radio Icon", under file there is a read radio option, doing it this way you can double check what comport is being used. Maybe your selection of the comport is wrong. This has happened to me so many times because I use usb and serial cables and forget to reselect the proper port.

N4RMT

Premium Subscriber
Try an OEM RKN4105 or 4106.

Yeah. I hope I do... The radio isn't even worth that much... Thanks for the suggestion, but I could just keep buying $18.00 cables until I get one that works and still come out way cheaper than that. I really don't think it's the cable just yet. I've never gotten a bad one from him yet.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Yeah. I hope I do... The radio isn't even worth that much... Thanks for the suggestion, but I could just keep buying $18.00 cables until I get one that works and still come out way cheaper than that. I really don't think it's the cable just yet. I've never gotten a bad one from him yet.

In my experience, most of the aftermarket Astro 25 cables are complete crap. You might try to find someone local with an OEM cable. Bet your problems will magically disappear.

For a while, US Electronics on Ebay had OEM serial RKN4105s for $65 shipped. I was lucky to get one a few years ago. Never bricked a radio, never had a radio that would not read. Updated dozens of XTS radios firmware and reflashed many, never had one brick.

You get what you pay for.

sflmonitor

Premium Subscriber
May also be an old firmware issue. I've had XTS5000s with certain flash codes that had firmware versions 08 and older. Unfortunately I had to send those to the depot since I was unable to communicate at all.

XTS3000

I've had FPP and non-FPP xts5000's at firmware R03-R04 and never had a problem upgrading them to the latest R20.05.00.

Before firmware R03, there was no USB support, so only serial cables would work to bump their firmware up to current.

Status
Not open for further replies.