Discone and Pixel Loop mounting suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax14304

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I'm planning on installing a pixel loop with rotator on a tripod on my roof. I'd also like to have a Diamond discone up there too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can put it in the same tripod or do you think I really need to mount it separately? If I need to mount it separately, how far apart do I need to keep them?

N3JI

If you're mounting the loop like the attached pic below, I don't see how you can mount both on the same mast. Both would need to be at the top.

Regarding separation, you need to be a minimum of a half wave away on the lowest freq of the antennas.

rotate-loop1.jpg

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I just installed a Wellbrook ALA1530 on Sunday, here's what I did.

wellbrook.jpg

You really want to keep these loops lower to the ground; they don't need elevation to do their job. I'd keep it as separate from everything else as possible so as not to detract from its interference cutting and directional capabilities. The above photo with the power or phone line running right by it is not really a great idea from what I've read and what common sense dictates.

Mine is working superbly where it is. It's about 40 feet away from my main tower, and in an area of the yard that was scoped out with a portable AM/SWBC receiver for noise levels.

madmax14304

Premium Subscriber
reconrider, 0-30MHz

scancapecod,

Thanks or the info. I did not realize these performed so well low to the ground. I still might have to go up on the roof to avoid noise sources.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Thanks or the info. I did not realize these performed so well low to the ground. I still might have to go up on the roof to avoid noise sources.

Actually going up on the roof may introduce more noise sources. I'm not sure what you have for a yard, or if you live in a situation where that's not feasible. I live in a wooded neighborhood that has rows of streets with approximately quarter acre lots. We're not right on top of one another but in 2015 there are a TON of interference sources that raise hell in such close quarters. What's worse is our electrical construction is above ground.

To try to find the "sweet spot" in my yard I walked it with a Grundig portable AM/SW receiver and looked for the quietest areas. Originally the rear left of my property proved to be the quietest so I installed a Par Electronics End Fed SWL sloper antenna with the feedpoint at ground level. It works well but anything below 3 MHz is pretty much unusable. I kicked around the idea of a loop for about 2 years and finally made the decision. Once I did I took the walk again, and considered raising mine a bit as you see in the photo. It's about 12 feet off of the ground; that's the top of a tool shed. I climbed up beforehand with the portable radio and things seemed quite good there overall. It's worked out well in the short period of time I've used it; for the first time ever at this property I am actually able to DX the AM broadcast band; something I've wanted to do for years. 160 meter amateur radio is perfectly receivable, and on higher HF frequencies it works well also. I already know in 48 hours it's the best LW/MW/SW antenna I have ever owned, by far.

One issue with keeping it close to the ground is the feedline and rotor cable if you're using a rotor, which is strongly recommended for AM broadcast band and lower HF frequencies. I checked with Andy at Wellbrook to ensure that it was OK to use 75 ohm cable. I didn't think it would be an issue and when Andy confirmed it I used RG6 quad shield and just buried the stuff in the ground. I know this will eventually be an issue as it's not burial rated cable but it was the easiest solution for me. As it's inexpensive I have no issue with replacing it yearly, same with the 3 wire rotor cable I'm using. A small sacrifice for a neat and efficient installation.

I'm no expert, but there's a lot of info out there on both the Wellbrook and the Pixel regarding installs, and given the $$ we pay for these antennas it is well worth the read to get the most bang for the buck. Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.