2nd mayday heard

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

On St Charles Cty Fire, SCCDA 11, firefighters are reporting separated from crews, low on oxygen, activating personal beacons, waiting for rescue.

N2JDS

Mayday Training maybe?

You probably heard MayDay training. They do that often. Kind of like a script to follow so it is easier if they have real ones.

teufler

It might have been, though the traffic sound very real. First the dispatcher , asked all hold traffic, they tried several times to get officer traffic. They were obviously wearing respirators as their transmissions were very muffled. The officers were in a basement or on the first floor, separated from their crews, one had fallen though a floor partly. O2 was low. But on the other side, no regular tone out traffic on sccda 1p. There should have been more radio traffic from the on scene commander. So I guess "I was hornswoggled". False alarm.

N2JDS

Yeah, They do it as realistic as possible, many people get fooled by it. I've heard of news people falling for it many times too.

teufler

Well fishing season and it seems I was caught. Years ago I ran a foxhunt where a pilot was flying over the area, had an engine fire and bailed out. I reduced the power as the pilot got lower, then shot of flares as the foxhunters were lost. I started on the repeater, then switched to simplex then reduced power down to 1/2 watt. Trying to avoid Orson Wells War of the Worlds scenerio, I lead each transmission by stating "this is a drill", though I had many hams that listened in and got caught up in the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.