Annual C.I.A.S thread.....things are looking up...The Viper Returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
Thought I would do a posting about the CIAS as usual.....Will be here soon and it looks like they have finally got a US Air Force act up here. The Viper East demo team will be back, F-16 out of Shaw Air Force base in South Carolina.

CF-18 as usual, plus the Breitling 7 plane L-39 albratross team.

They also have 2 "mystery" acts listed..

Should be interesting..

regards,

Jason

uncleblackie

Don't know if it's a done deal but I sure hope not.

It may be good as a long range interceptor, but apparently sux at close combat (dog fighting).

Why does the USAF need the F-35 when the F-22 has not been used in combat? - Quora

What I really can't believe is how our gov't could approve a single engined plane to begin with, especially given our cold northern climate.

Since we don't have aircraft carriers, it would seem to me the F-22 would have been the way to go for Canada.

The F-18 is still one of the best multi-role fighters out there today imo with the built in redundancy of a second engine and unmatched power to weight ratio, albeit at the expense of reduced payload capacity.

If it had stealth technology and longer range kill capability, it would still be the plane to beat imo and to this day is still one of the best close combat fighters out there, especially with the upgraded engines (Super Hornet).

But I guess the trend now in modern warfare is to forgo close combat all together and have the ability to eliminate your opponent from longer distances so you don't even have to get your hands dirty or work up a sweat.

I was lucky enough to see the F-22 at CIAS when it made an appearance there (don't remember the exact year) and with it's dual vectored thrust, that thing could turn on a dime.

Still would be nice to see the F-35.
It might actually be worth a trip down to the show this year if it is a confirmed appearance.

AOD999

Don't know if it's a done deal but I sure hope not.

It may be good as a long range interceptor, but apparently sux at close combat (dog fighting).

Why does the USAF need the F-35 when the F-22 has not been used in combat? - Quora

What I really can't believe is how our gov't could approve a single engined plane to begin with, especially given our cold northern climate.

Since we don't have aircraft carriers, it would seem to me the F-22 would have been the way to go for Canada.

The F-18 is still one of the best multi-role fighters out there today imo with the built in redundancy of a second engine and unmatched power to weight ratio, albeit at the expense of reduced payload capacity.

If it had stealth technology and longer range kill capability, it would still be the plane to beat imo and to this day is still one of the best close combat fighters out there, especially with the upgraded engines (Super Hornet).

But I guess the trend now in modern warfare is to forgo close combat all together and have the ability to eliminate your opponent from longer distances so you don't even have to get your hands dirty or work up a sweat.

I was lucky enough to see the F-22 at CIAS when it made an appearance there (don't remember the exact year) and with it's dual vectored thrust, that thing could turn on a dime.

Still would be nice to see the F-35.
It might actually be worth a trip down to the show this year if it is a confirmed appearance.
The two Mystery Acts are as follows. Sea King and the Super Hornet
Thanks, any other air freq's I should put in my scanner for the event?

mciupa

The two Mystery Acts are as follows. Sea King and the Super Hornet

Thanks, any other air freq's I should put in my scanner for the event?

Snowbirds 242.600
Chat Channel 116.000
Plane Comms 123.600
Show Radar /Hold 118.000
Air Boss 119.200

02blackss

Premium Subscriber
I was at the practice all day today at the lakeshore. I have to tell you, out of the Super Hornet, Canadian Hornet and the Viper..The Canadian Hornet beats them all hands down for the noise factor....

Holy cow it was impressive, 99% of the comms were on Air Boss and Show Hold.

Jason

nyair1

Snowbirds on 246.500 today. Also had some broken chatter on 384.550 which is ACC Airshow common. Anyone have any other freqs that were in use?

jonesyxvii

Premium Subscriber
Where are the planes stationed at. A friend was at Pearson and didn't see any planes today.

They are parked on the ramp at SkyService, which is off-limits to photographers. There was quite a crowd on the hill at the end of 15L (along Convair Dr.) as well as in the Hertz rental car lot near the threshold of 24L. Air show planes were departing off 15L (offers the quickest route to the stage) and were landing on the active 24R.

bfeist

Frequencies today

Heard parts of the airshow on these channels today:
Airboss: 119.2
Show PA: 123.6
Show hold: 123.1
Show Radar: 118.0
F16: 384.55
Snowbirds: 146.5

Missed the Breitling show. I heard some other scanners in the area picking up other chatter. There must be channels that I've missed. Anyone have any to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.