San Bernardino Co 800 update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techman210

I would think that as the old system is removed, more phase one racks will be added, rather than moving to phase 2. I'm sure there is no lack of 851/ 700 Mhz frequencies.

The operational drawback of having a P2 system that is heavily loaded, is if you have to take a channel out of service due to a failure, or for interference reasons, you are removing two communications paths and not just one. I would think from a technical standpoint, this is the way an agency would want to grow, and then move to P2 when it's absolutely necessary.

Also, if you plan to host phase one users on your P2 system for hardware compatibility or interop reasons, your P2 TDMA channel reverts to a traditional phase one system, and you are now minus a talk path.

But not all system decisions are made by engineers. You can look south to Riverside County for that example in action.

Last edited:

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned
Plus going to a Phase I system still allow SB County to use their existing XTS5000 and XTL radios. Saves money until those radios die out. If SB County went straight to Phase II TDMA then all of their portable and mobile radios will need to be replaced with APX radios which would cost the county millions of dollars.

f40ph

Feed Provider
I agree with what Fireboat says regarding the equipment. Also, SBCo won't make a change unless quite a few subscribers were to complain about Phase I. We will have to wait about 5 years until full Phase I build out for any complaints to even surface. Their interim response to any new/migrated user complaints will be to "wait until all sites are on line".

Status
Not open for further replies.