New Vehicle Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetaz834

Didn't have anything new to post but was waiting to show the install on my last vehicle but it never happened. But, just got a new car or at least newer than I had and wanted to get the post started for what will be a very major work in progress.

Was driving a 2006 crown vic but it had so many issues as compared to my privious vehicles that I never got to install any equipment to it. But, just got my newer vehicle last week (2013 Ford Taurus Interceptor). Each day as I look into what it has I see that this is a very good vehicle for installation of my communication equipment (both new and current equipment.

I settled on that vehicle for some reasons that were obivious and some that I'm discovering as I look into the vehicle. Here are some fo the reasone I wanted it. Most of the current consumer vehicles make it very hard to mount multiple radios without doing lots of reconfiguring of the interior. The taurus has the shifter on the column and a free center area. Also, has a nice metal base for mounting equipment on. I don't want to install a console, just to keep the vehicle low key. Also, has a nice area on the dash where a remote head can be mounted. The consumer taurus does not have this available.

The things I have discovered that the vehicle has that are going to make installing a equipment even easier. Found a 6 pin plug behind the console that is set up for 3 hot and 3 grounds, contually hot which means I will not have to run any wires through to the battery. Also, the metal plate on the transmission hump is meant for running wiring from the trun area to the passenger compartment. Also, foun a special setup for a fan that will draw air from the passenger compartment to the turn area which will help keep my radio equipment cool.

Also, since I drive my vehicle long distances I wanted a vehilce that will handle the loing distances and also the rubber flooring is good for all the bad weather we get here.

Now, the equipment that will be installed in my vehicle:

Kenwood TM-D710GA 2m/440 mobile (Purchased at Dayton)
Motorola XTVA Convertacom for Motorola XTS5000
RadioShack Digital Trunking Scanner
Kenwood UHF TK-5810 (Earlier Version)
Motorola remote mount CB radio (very unique)

Additionally, the vehicle only has one antenna hole, which means I get to decide where I need the holes mounted. Right now only one hole in the roof which I will be using for the uhf radio.

At the current time I have no pictures, but will be updating them as I take them. Hope you will enjoy the transformation that will be taking place.

firetaz834

Thought I would include the first two picture of my new vehicle. Am finding that when I placed my equipment in that it isn't going to fit as I would like but it will be a work in progress

Attachments

• 20150630_202559b.jpg
    20150630_202559b.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 3,938
  • 20150711_194745a.jpg
    20150711_194745a.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,943
Last edited:

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
When I bought my 2009 CVPI in 2013, I had the option of getting a "Interceptor Sedan (ahem, Taurus - sorry)" which had 4,000 miles on it. It would have been unique, but since everything I had in 2001 CVPI was going into my new car (console and associated equipment) it was a no-brainer choice I decided to make. I would love to see your Interceptor Sedan once you get everything installed as you want it.

firetaz834

As the install progreses, I will be posting pics. I am finding that alot of the items I had from the CVPI, won't fint in it. Also, some of the original thought I had are progressing the way I would like, so I keep making changes to how the final job will be. Trying to make it unique and low key to the final product. Already seing in reality diference from what I've seen in pictures.

Also, did try to use an old console that I had in one of my crown vic's and it would mount but be too tall and block my access to the lighter plugs. Taking my time so that it is done right, since I plan on keeping the car for awhile.

Will keep everyone informed as the steps I take in this project.

firetaz834

Well, during the last couple days I've started designing my mounting system and came up with on that I think will work nicely. It is using a Gamber Johnson base unit for for a Taurus and then some of my Gamber Johnson hardward that I was using on some of my other vehicles.

Here is a link to the mount I'm using:

Ford Explorer (2011-2015), Taurus/Taurus X (2008-2015), Sedan/Utility PI (2012-2015)

And here are some pictures of the beginning hardware that I will be using:

(For some reason, the pictures won't load so I will upload them later.)

Last edited:

firetaz834

I was finally able to upload the pictures, here they are.

Attachments

• 20150714_183550a.jpg
    20150714_183550a.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,532
  • 20150714_183645a.jpg
    20150714_183645a.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 3,499

firetaz834

Well, I'm trying to do a low key install without a console. If I get to the point that I have to install one I will. But, I'm hoping that the way I install it will look good.

Here are some shots of the beginning of what I'm willing to do. This is just to get and idea of how it will work before doing all the wiring.

Attachments

• Picture 002a.jpg
    Picture 002a.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 3,298
  • Picture 003a.jpg
    Picture 003a.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 3,294
  • Picture 009a.jpg
    Picture 009a.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 3,285
  • Picture 010a.jpg
    Picture 010a.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3,280

firetaz834

Looks like you have a good start, looking forward to seeing the rest of the install as it progresses.

Thank you, I will keep updates coming. Don't want to rush it, plan on having this vehicle awhile and since it is kind of a blank slate I want to do it right.

firetaz834

Well, I thought I would have more to post by now, but it takes time to do it right, but up to now have a few setbacks. Decided to go with a console to get the equipment mounted properly. Was looking at a Havis console but talking with a rep from the company couldn't get the specific faceplates that I needed, so then looked at a Troy console.

Found a local distributor in the area, but they never returned my call (will leave them nameless) so then I looked at a company out of Ohio and found CPS (Core Public Safety) and called them, got a call back from the owner and he answered my questions and even the ones that he didn't know, got the answers for me and all the related spec data so that I could see if it fit my requirements. Planning on ordering the console on Monday.

Next step was a big one, the installation of antennas, I don't have the equipment to install them myself, so I opted to go through a highly advertised custom shop in the Ann Arbor ides. Though I found though they my be highly advertised in the way of doing consumer stereo equipment, they are not always the best for installing 2 way radio equipment and antennas. I new I was in trouble when they called my radio antennas "CB antennas" even though I told them they were for commercial equipment. When the installer looked at what I wanted, he told me that where I wanted my antennas, he told me that he couldn't reach the spots I wanted and pointed out places he wanted to install them. I told him that they would not do because the antennas would be too close. I later looked at the spots where I wanted the antennas placed and they can be installed there. I think he was going to do the install from the underside of the trunk lid and for me it looks as though it can be done. So, I will have to find a company that deals with professional equipment to get it done. I see this all as a Hugh learning experiance

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
DO NOT USE A STEREO SHOP!.. Find a shop that does upfitting or two way shop that is familiar with installs on late model police vehicles. There are many in the metro Detroit area. If you need a recommendation let me know. I have been in the upfitting business 20 years and know who is who as some are dealers for our equipment.

firetaz834

DO NOT USE A STEREO SHOP!.. Find a shop that does upfitting or two way shop that is familiar with installs on late model police vehicles. There are many in the metro Detroit area. If you need a recommendation let me know. I have been in the upfitting business 20 years and know who is who as some are dealers for our equipment.

If you could recommend a place or two, it would be most helpful. It has been a little disheartening to know what you want to do and can't find a shop that knows what they are doing. Again, any recommendations you can make will be most helpful. It is especially disheartening when I see the good installs others are doing and I can't get out of the starting line.

firetaz834

I'm familiar with Priority One, do some of my shopping with them. Know they do full emergency vehicle installs, didn't want to just come to them with such a small item, but I will stop in after work on Monday and talk with them. Had never heard of the other location, but I will also keep them in mind.

Thank you,,

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Another option is Washtenaw Communications. The shop is run by a firefighter, who did the work on the vehicle he drives around.

Sent via Tapatalk

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
talk to some of the tech's there they probably can give you the info you need or even do some side work, I do for select friends when I can fit them in my days off

Status
Not open for further replies.