LTR Analog UHF Radio Service in Fresno, Ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPSFresno

I was curious if anyone knows of any Analog UHF LTR radio service that is still operating in Fresno? I have been looking around but it seems like this is a lost technology with all the people I have talked to. Is LTR analog really a dying breed? I am looking for this for a security company that I will be operating in the Fresno area.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
Why analog? MotoTrbo trunked would be ideal for this.

RPSFresno

I would go digital but the cost is the issue we ran into. We have just start up our security business in Fresno for one. Number two, we have 3 Kenwood TK880 mobiles and a TK380 handheld. Seeing as we have equipment on hand, i was hoping to still use these.

Kirk

DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't know if Aircall (Turlock) has any analog systems, but I'd give them a call.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I would go digital but the cost is the issue we ran into. We have just start up our security business in Fresno for one. Number two, we have 3 Kenwood TK880 mobiles and a TK380 handheld. Seeing as we have equipment on hand, i was hoping to still use these.

Here's where you may run into an issue:

The companies that sell two way radio service often do it on a per radio basis. Some do it via "air time".
The way the know which radios are yours is by the radio ID.

Usually they'll want to lock down your radios to keep you (or another shop) from programming up a bunch of radios with the same ID number.
Probably not something you even considered, but it's what the service provider will be thinking.

Unless you need multiple talk groups, you might be better off just finding a shop that has a community type repeater where you can run single channel analog with your own tone.

Usually buying the radios first isn't the way it's done, but I guess you've had them for a while.
Many of the LTR systems are getting replaced, so while you might find one, you'll probably be looking at new radios in a few years anyway.

RPSFresno

Thank you smokeybehr! Do you know if they still have it for sure?

mmckenna, I remember the security company I worked with had programmed radios with a provider and I do remember password protecting is standard which I have no issue at all with, I can totally understand them protecting their airtime.A community type repeater would be conventional correct? Ya I have had the radios for a while..from a old friend that was cleaning out his collection. Still great radios for a startup company, just wish I could find a way to hopefully use them still. I really appreciate all your feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.