OSHP switchover

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartboy06

Premium Subscriber
Howdy,

I'm planning a road trip across the turnpike in about a month. Anyone heard anything about when OSHP is finally switching over to MARCS-IP?

Swipesy

The State is being mum about a time table for OSHP to switch to MARCS-IP. As far as the Turnpike goes here is what is most active -

MARCS -
17152 - OSHP Turnpike - East
17168 - OSHP Turnpike - West

Conventional -
155.79 - OSHP Call for Tow
155.685 - OSHP Call for Tow
156.195 - Turnpike Maintenance
159.165 - Turnpike Maintenance

amcferrin90

Premium Subscriber
I heard from a source that OSP is getting new radios in a couple months. The source said they were smaller than their current deployed XTS5000's. Their cars still have Astro Spectra radios too. Definitely gonna hold things up.

durango5550

Booger D.
more than likely APX 6000's will be used for portables.

although after seeing the VHF freqs for - call for tow and turnpike maintenance maybe even 7000's in the 800 vhf flavor. who knows

phask

Premium Subscriber
Just started hearing some comms from Post 30 (Cambridge) so change over may happen soon... or not.

Nasby

Any time the state is involved, you can add 6 months to a year to any timetable of completion.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The delay was due to their vehicular extenders using 700 MHz frequencies which interfered with the 700 MHz frequencies in use on the new system. It had nothing to do with the fact it is a state agency. Actually from what I have seen elsewhere Ohio has done very well with their radio systems.

budevans

Any time the state is involved, you can add 6 months to a year to any timetable of completion.

The MARCS-IP project plan shows the projected completion date as March 2016. The rollout and deployment for a project of this size has gone pretty smoothly.

It's not unusual for a project manager to announce a Push Date (moved up date, in this case March 2015) to light a fire under users/subscribers/departments that may be dragging their feet.

Here's a picture from a MARCS presentation to the states county commissioners in 2012.

Last edited:

Nasby

Oh wow.

I thought the project date was to have every agency on Marcs IP by March of this year.

SCPD

QRT
marcs

So to these who have a good working knowledge of how this works, an informed decision PLEASE?? Do you THINK or your opinion will there ever be a PHASE two here in Ohio, no sense wasting money on a performer that won't go there!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Oh wow.

I thought the project date was to have every agency on MARCS-IP by March of this year.

It was; the 2016 end date was mainly cleanup etc. Unfortunately OSP held things up.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
So to these who have a good working knowledge of how this works, an informed decision PLEASE?? Do you THINK or your opinion will there ever be a PHASE two here in Ohio, no sense wasting money on a performer that won't go there!

It will happen. Most likely not until 2017 at the earliest, as that's the next scheduled system version upgrade (MARCS is on a bi-annual upgrade schedule).

However, a rollout schedule once the system has been upgraded is a different story, as that's dependent on subscriber radio capabilities.

It's entirely possible that some subscribers never go to Phase II, while others jump right on the bandwagon as soon as they can.

durango5550

Booger D.
Tom ,

My question is why are they still installing brand new radios not capable of phase 2? ( XTL2500 to XTL5000)

Seems kind of redundant

SCPD

QRT
If applied and set the phase 2 system talkgroups and radios will revert to phase 1 modulation when a subscription user keys in using phase 1. And like said above pennies vs dollars.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
St. Clairsville OSP Post 7 was using the new p25 system Saturday night

TG-51752

Radio IDS 9004514, 900002,

They were using the Cadiz tower......

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.