Pope Vist Sept.2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason4525

Premium Subscriber
Used ? Philly will just use the regular system and the special detail team will be under secret service FBI and so on all encrypted.. it will be worst then July4th as far as people going down the city will be on lockdown all for some guy I will be sure to stay the hell away from the city

The Pope is the head of state for Vatican City. In addition to being leader of the Catholic Church. Add Vatican City protection to all the US security teams and the possibility of President Obama being present will make downtown Philadelphia a place not to be if you can avoid it during that time.

Starion1

Well this will surely pose a challenge to all security forces being deployed for such a visit. This event will create security issues mainly because of the mobility of the VIP. It's not just PPD but all of city services will be involved. It can be a very interesting event from a scanner listener's standpoint. Some comms may be in the clear while many more will be of the digital/encrypted variety. The last time Philly hosted an event that was of this magnitude was back in 1985 when the city hosted the, "We The People".

Homeland Security has designated the Secret Service to head up operations. The same agency will probably be present for the DNC in 2016.

City Police will need to give way to the other federal agencies that will carrier the burden of security. Local police may be limited and may only provide a gateway for logistic as the Pope moves about to the various venues.

Sheriff Department in Philly required to be on 12-hour shifts and emphasis on their role will be heightened because of his anticipated visit to the CFCF on Sunday.

Fire Department may deploy additional apparatus 100 and 200 series units as static apparatus on site because it may be logistically impossible to move emergency units in and out of a crowded area.

The Center City District advisories were issued to all hotels, convention space and hospitals to have a plan of action in place and to beef up security during the visit for the Friday through Monday dates. Rooftop access has been reviewed and many roadways and bridges may be closed. Many of the ancillary agencies conduct comms in the clear.

Business and taxi services will be busy and sometimes interesting topics are being discussed regarding an event.

The Pope's visit to NYC and Washington DC may give Philly folks a heads-up on what to monitor in anticipation of his visit. There will be plenty to monitor. This list goes on as to which agencies are going to be involved. There are many agencies that are too numerous to mention. Be sure to have your recording devices ready.

captaincab

monitoring delco pa with gre psr300 pro2053 and b
Ok Me personally in addtion to the special events and j and t band on the city system i plan to listen to the following. Septa and patco transit system radio especially septa north and south supervisors talk groups and the el supervisors. Amtrak police and operations at 30th street station. Septa and Patco pd also the center city district operations channel on their dmr system. Probably a few of the local hotels as well as the local cab companies which i almost always monitor.

CommJunkie

The Pope is the head of state for Vatican City. In addition to being leader of the Catholic Church. Add Vatican City protection to all the US security teams and the possibility of President Obama being present will make downtown Philadelphia a place not to be if you can avoid it during that time.

The Swiss Guard protect the Pope in The Vatican. I wonder if they will be allowed to protect him here?

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Hearing a lot of testing on the 8TAC freq's, No specific identifying remarks but lots of work on the voting features. May just be day to day work on any surrounding system though. Scanning the UTAC's looking for testing into or out of Closedsky.

The fed techs have been busy working on the local systems and supplemental repeater systems on nationwide freq allocations.

Crowd management and screening could be a mess @ the SEPTA stations feeding Philly those days. Make sure you have them in and up to date.
Camden will be a special sort of listening with the people bottleneck that will happen there.

DRBA will be busy (using DSD to decode)

USCG has been shaking out some freq's not normally used but nationally coordinated.

Amtrak will be busy as usual.

Great time to be searching freq's and doing your wiki research about where to hear it... when in the clear anyway...

phillydjdan

I noted a group of temporary repeater frequencies that were licensed for this in the 450 MHz range. They are limited to 10 watts I think and are DMR. Who knows who will be on it, but likely those will be private security guards or misc staff working in the immediate area.

I will be monitoring as much as I can from the comfort of my office and will basically be treating this like a snow storm: Stocking up on bread and milk and not leaving the house lol. My trip to work on Monday morning should be interesting. I was planning on avoiding 95 by jumping over to 295, but now I'm seeing indications that all the South Jersey highways are going to be a mess too, so I'm not sure what I'll do yet...

That unlicensed Center City District DMR channel will be interesting listening I'm sure. I'll have an ear on the feds, though I don't expect there will be much in the clear. Look for the Philly Event channels to be active. It would be nice to finally hear someone actually USING the 8 Tac and UTac channels for once.

NO matter what you monitor it's all going to be a cluster.... so should make for some very interesting listening lol

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
There has been testing on the 8TAC channels for a couple weeks now. I got the impression it was more related to work being done on the Chester Co radio upgrades than for the Pope, but I don't know...just guessing.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
There has been testing on the 8TAC channels for a couple weeks now. I got the impression it was more related to work being done on the Chester Co radio upgrades than for the Pope, but I don't know...just guessing.

Ben,
You may very well be right. It could be anyone but Chesco makes sense.

KB7MIB

I understand that the Pope will be in MontCo as well from FB posts by 6ABC. (Lower Merion?) The expresssway is scheduled to be closed. So be sure to include MontCo in your listening.

John
Peoria, AZ
(Born and raised in Abington, still have family in the region)

Starion1

A temporary authorization was just issued just for the Papal event. Not sure if anyone has DMR/Mototrbo capabilities but listed are the frequencies that will be used during the Pope visit. The 10 watt repeaters will be located on a hi-rise building near the Comcast Center. All the big-shots had a meeting at my work location this past Wednesday. Building owners, security, Philly PD, Secret Service, ATF, FBI, DEA, fire department. These frequencies will be for non-sensitive comms to coordinate the activities during that weekend. I'm curious to know if anyone is able to copy anything interesting. Unfortunately I don't have Mototrbo capability and I'm located too far to hear the comms anyway.

REPEATERS
452.1375 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
452.2875 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
452.4875 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
452.6875 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
451.4375 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
451.5375 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
451.6375 FB2 10p 7K60FXE
451.9625 FB2 10p 7K60FXE

MOBILES/INPUT TO R
452.1375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
457.1375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
452.2875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
457.2875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
452.4875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
457.4875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
452.6875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
457.6875 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
451.4375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
456.4375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
451.5375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
456.5375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
451.6375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
456.6375 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
451.9625 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE
456.9625 MO 4p Units: 500 7K60FXE

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
Papal visit

Any suggestions on what would be good to monitor during the Pope's visit to Philadelphia besides the city radio system? I believe the Secret Service and FBI will all be encrypted.

Thanks,

Jim

phillydjdan

Philly's City Events 2 channel just lit up with patch testing. I've heard every county in the region check in as well as PSP, NJSP, Port Authority & SEPTA and even FBI. I guess this will be the channel used for interops? That could get quite interesting. I even heard Atlantic County chime in!

phillydjdan

I picked up on that testing as well, but wasn't able to look at my display to see what channel it was on. They were probably testing some sort of patch or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.