Lake county sheriff's Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG7PBS

I would like too ask dose anyone know what kind of Radios the lake county sheriff's use, and if you know the kind of signaling they use for the radius as well thanks and 73s

KG7PBS

Oh I missed that I meant Radio. So I know some Law enforcement agencies use MDC1200 I know what that sounds like Lake county sheriff's Radios are not using MDC1200. So what are they using then thanks KMA

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Over the past couple of years the SO has been replacing their Kenwood TK-790s with NX-700s. The repeaters as well as all the control stations at dispatch have been replaced too. Idea is to someday switch to Nexedge for digital communications. As for now they are still using analog and utilize Fleetsync as the PTT ID which sounds just like MDC1200 but completely different.

mkewman

I've actually seen their system. The original idea was to get them to go digital, and someone talked a non-radio person into Kenwood Nexedge because it was "digital" and "cheaper". For a time, the Lake County Jail went digital but The officers don't like the sound of Nexedge, and with the horrible radio system installation at Lake County Jail, there were (and still are) some big dead spots within the jail and around the jail.

Don't count on them going digital soon, if ever. They have switched vendors several times and haven't been happy with their Radio system and for good reason It needs a LOT of TLC. They recently got a vendor from the Bay Area to clear up some things at a site and at the jail but it still needs a lot of work.

They are a prime example of someone who needs a communications manager who understands the technical side of radio and what a good install looks like. Unfortunately the talent pool in that area is quite small for Radio, and so things like this happen. I don't mean this in any negative way, there are a lot of nice people who work at the County and they are VERY Good at dispatching, and their Communications center is GORGEOUS. That said, the Radio infrastructure needs an overhaul, and it's somewhat cost prohibitive to do it because the vendors with that skill set are quite far from Lake County.

Status
Not open for further replies.