Comcast's super fast Internet costs $300 a month

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -

Comcast's super fast Internet costs $300 a month | Money - Home

Comcast's super fast Internet costs $300 a month - Jul. 14, 2015

As promised, Comcast is starting to offer the fastest Internet in the nation -- for a jaw-dropping $300 per month. That doesn't include an installation fee of around $500, plus another $500 for "activation." Then there's an added cost for "equipment, taxes and fees." Oh, and don't forget the punitive fee if you break your two-year contract.

That means Comcast's next-generation Gigabit Pro, delivering data at 2 Gigabits per second, could cost $1,300 just to start.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
I have Comcast business internet with 5 IP addresses and VOIP for under $200. Getting about 82-85Mbs.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -

Comcast's super fast Internet costs $300 a month | Money - Home

Comcast's super fast Internet costs $300 a month - Jul. 14, 2015

As promised, Comcast is starting to offer the fastest Internet in the nation -- for a jaw-dropping $300 per month. That doesn't include an installation fee of around $500, plus another $500 for "activation." Then there's an added cost for "equipment, taxes and fees." Oh, and don't forget the punitive fee if you break your two-year contract.

That means Comcast's next-generation Gigabit Pro, delivering data at 2 Gigabits per second, could cost $1,300 just to start.

I'm one of those oddballs who feels differently about cost of internet access. I think that's a great deal, assuming the performance is there. If you ask me [and you didn't], you probably don't know a single person who needs 2 Gbit speed. You may think you know someone, or you may think you need it, but you don't. For those that truly due, that's a helluva bargain.

Mike

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I'm one of those oddballs who feels differently about cost of internet access. I think that's a great deal, assuming the performance is there. If you ask me [and you didn't], you probably don't know a single person who needs 2 Gbit speed. You may think you know someone, or you may think you need it, but you don't. For those that truly due, that's a helluva bargain.

It's really impressive if you need the bandwidth. I have long wondered where the point of diminishing returns is for residential Internet access speeds ... of course, some would say "Fast is good, faster is better, fastest is best!" :D

n5ims

While the advertised speed sounds impressive, it makes me wonder how fast their backend connection is. That price may only get you to your local termination point where it combines with all of the other users onto a much slower (or even that same speed) connection so you'll end up paying more and getting just a bit faster total speed.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

It also depends on the other end as well. I went for a 3x speed increase in my service, but only noticed speedup on some of the servers I used. It does give me the ability to do more internet activities at the same time.

I doubt many home computers could handle a 2GB/S stream of data. You have to install at least a 10GB networking infrastructure to distribute the data.

73 Eric

SCPD

QRT
Hello,

It also depends on the other end as well. I went for a 3x speed increase in my service, but only noticed speedup on some of the servers I used. It does give me the ability to do more internet activities at the same time.

I doubt many home computers could handle a 2GB/S stream of data. You have to install at least a 10GB networking infrastructure to distribute the data.

73 Eric

GigaBITS, not GigaBYTES.

firemedic2150

Database Admin
So I guess I should not complain about my 1 Gb/s download and upload speed, that is real speed and a lot of bandwidth from the fiber run to my house from our local utility EPB in Chattanooga for just $69.99 a month!! Welcome to Gigcity USA!!

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
GigaBITS, not GigaBYTES.

Hello,

Yes, I was saying bits. You need a 10 Gigabit Ethernet network infrastructure as 1 Gigabit Ethernet would limit the maximum to about 800 Megabits/second. Maybe that is what Comcast is counting on, people using it with their 802.11n wireless routers!

73 Eric

CapStar362

and how much is GBit service from Google right now? 120$ ? verses Comcast's 300?

the moment Google hits Conyers GA, im dropping my WELL expired contract with comcast and getting Google GBit and TV for 120$

i pay 95 right now alone for the 105/20 Mbit connection.

ive already built a Gbit LAN in the house, and have the means of connecting all devices with Gbit service.

no activation fee and no construction fee either

https://support.google.com/fiber/answer/2657118?hl=en

Status
Not open for further replies.