HP-2: HP-2 mobile usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
Hey all!

I had posted over in the Connecticut section asking how HP-1 & HP-2 owners liked their units for mobile use. I had a few hits.

I'm looking nationwide now to get some feed back on how you like the scanner, its sturdiness, overall performance and mounting options (pictures if you can show me please).

I have a SUV with very limited space for mounting. I currently run a Yaesu 7800 radio with the head detached remotely from the radio.

I'm trying to get ideas and make my decision.

Thanks in advance.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
One place to start is to go to the Pictures thread and search various searches (separately) and see some installs there (examples, search: hp1, hp-1, homepatrol, etc.). There have been a few.

Voyager

One of the most readable displays of any scanner ever made. Only complaint is the lack of tactile reference for "eyes off" operation.

mitbr

My Hp1 performed poorly on my local p25 motorola system. The front end got easily overloaded and would not decode very well.
The 436hp did not have this problem due to its true fm filter.
Tim

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
There is a mobile windshield RAM mount and clip designed for the HP radios that makes a perfect mobile mounting scenario for the HP radios. It allows the scanner to rest nicely somewhere on your dash with a sturdy installation. Other than the Whistler 1095 which is an amazing mobile mount opportunity, mounting the HP radios this way is an excellent way to go.

marksmith

If your SUV has multiple cup holders like mine, I found the generic cup holder mount to work better than the Uniden special bracket solution. Use an HP2E in each vehicle.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PRO652

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
i have my hp-1 mounted in my truck. I used the windshield mount for a short time, but didn't like having it so visible or directly in the sun/heat like that. I also had a problem with the suction cup losing it's grip during the day. I'd come out after work to find the scanner laying on the dash or hanging by the cables.

I've since relocated it down on the center console. The only real complaints, now, are the screen washes out pretty bad in the sun and no dedicated (single touch) avoid button.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.