• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Unable to read NX-240

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I am unable to read or write my brand new/never programmed Kenwood NX-240 K portable radios. I am using the KPG-170D v1.21 software. The error I get upon trying to read the radio is "Ensure that the Model Name and Market Code are correctly entered."

I selected the proper model name and market code and have even tried all the other available options. I have confirmed that I am using the correct Com Port and I know the software is communicating with the radios because I can obtain the Transceiver Information from the radio using the software.

Any suggestions? Am I using the wrong software?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
The software says the firmware version on the radio is V1.10.00

How do I know if that is too old/new for my software?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do you know if it's a Version 1 radio or a Version 2 radio.

Version 2 radios should have a serial number that should start with or is higher than B54~ and the rear tag should say Ver. 2 on it.

For Version 1 radios, the latest firmware is 1.24 released in January of 2015. Version 1 radios cannot be upgraded to Version 2 firmware.
For Version 2 radios, the latest firmware is 2.01 released in April of 2015.

Version 1 radios will do analog and 6.25KHz NXDN. Version 2 radios will do analog and both 6.25KHz and 12.5KHz NXDN.

KPG-170 is the correct software for the NX-240/NX-340 radios. Version 2.0 is the latest version, released in February of 2015. It will program both Version 1 AND Version 2 radios.

Kenwood programming software of late has been backwards compatible with the older firmware. I doubt that is your issue.

The only time I've seen the issue you are describing is when the radio and software market types don't match.

So, the question there would be: Where did this radio come from? Did it come from a Kenwood dealer here in the USA, or did it come from somewhere else?
Software might be the issue, too. Did you purchase it from a Kenwood dealer or did you download it from some other source?

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
Ok. So that must be my problem? I have model NX-240V: K selected.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
When you read the radio, it will not matter. It will be what it is. Where was the radio purchased from? No dealer name just their location. What does the label say on the box? It should show nx-240k. Does it have an fcc sticker on the battery area?

Evans Mitchell kd4efm
sent on my HTC M9

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
The radios I have were purchased off of eBay from a seller in Florida. They are brand new in the box and have never even been programmed (flashing red/orange LED). They have consecutive serial numbers (B3A04027-028). The model on the sticker says NX-240-K and has an FCC License Number. The serial numbers on the box match the radios.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I haven't been able to find the KPG-169D software. You think that's what I need even though my software says Model K and the Radio says Model K? Are my radios just too old based off the serial number?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
No, those are version 1 radios and the software will support them. The issues is the "market" type. Since these radios were intended for a market outside the normal US commercial market, you'll need the correct hardware.
You could always drop a line to Kenwood tech support and see what they say.

Unfortunately this is one of the issues with purchasing radios off e-Bay. You don't always know exactly what you are getting. This should be a fairly easy solution, though. Finding the KPG software will be a bit more difficult.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I will continue looking for the KPG-169D software if that's what you think will program the radios. I will also try calling Kenwood.

BlueDevil

Feed Provider
I finally found the KPG-169D software and it worked perfectly!!

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, keep in mind that the software needed to program the radio can only be bought through Kenwood or its dealers.

Asking for it or offering it on the forums is forbidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.