Question about trunking systems on GRE/Whistler scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I used to own a PSR-800 and I'm familiar with the software and how the radio works. However, I never understood completely how the radio logically scans through the selected systems. Here is my question. Suppose you have a TSYS object with many talkgroups for police, fire, EMS, etc. And suppose you separate those talkgroups into different scanlists for police, fire & EMS. So all of these talkgroups, even though they are in different scanlists, are actually attached to the same trunked system object.

Now when the scanner is told to Scan, does it go to that TSYS object, acquire the control channel ONCE, and then search for active talkgroups, filtering them by whether they are in enabled scanlists? Or does it have to reacquire the control channel several times as it checks each scanlist?

talkpair

I believe the TSYS object is scanned only once.

Otherwise, if a system appeared in 20 scan lists, it would take forever for the radio to complete a cycle.

The lists seem to provide the user with a method for logically subdividing the entire contents of the radio.

Even in cases where a conventional analog object is a member of several scan lists, it's really only scanned once per pass.

SCPD

QRT
The GRE / Whistler scanners use Object Oriented programming .. where each item is an object.

So no matter how many times you have the item in your scanlists for example .. there is only 1 instance of it. The scanner just points to it when it needs to use it. It is also an extremely efficient way of storing data.

The big benefit is that you can store an amazing amount of data in these scanners as the data for an item (frequency or talkgroup for example) only has to be stored once, not multiple times.

Istomin

The GRE / Whistler scanners use Object Oriented programming .. where each item is an object.

So no matter how many times you have the item in your scanlists for example .. there is only 1 instance of it. The scanner just points to it when it needs to use it. It is also an extremely efficient way of storing data.

The big benefit is that you can store an amazing amount of data in these scanners as the data for an item (frequency or talkgroup for example) only has to be stored once, not multiple times.

It seems that Talkgroup object cannot be used that way and should be many absolutely same Talkgroup IDs (that really relate to one physical Talkgroup) binded with different systems.
IMHO it will be more logical to make one instance of the Talkgroup (object) and let the possibility to bind it to two or more systems (objects).

Status
Not open for further replies.