The FCC levied some fines to a couple of Amateurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KM

The FCC levied some fines to a couple of Amateurs involved in the mischief that regularly seems to occur at 14.313.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-832A1.pdf
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-831A1.pdf

These are from today’s FCC Daily Digest

From what it looks like the FCC is fond of heavy fines. Only thing is, from what I have been told, they not always gave to pay the full amount, and can get it reduced. All in all, I much rather see people like this lose their ticket, but then again with some who do not obey the rules to begin with, what is going to keep them off the air?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
It may be an old story, but the FCC actions noted in by the OP are as of yesterday. Guernsey gets a fine with no further chance of appeal to the Commission. Tolassi gets a Notice of Apparent Liability and has a limited amount of time to argue why the NAL should be reduced or cancelled.

papavictor

It may be an old story, but the FCC actions noted in by the OP are as of yesterday. Guernsey gets a fine with no further chance of appeal to the Commission. Tolassi gets a Notice of Apparent Liability and has a limited amount of time to argue why the NAL should be reduced or cancelled.

Yeah, note the subtle difference in the first sentence between the NAL and this new FO, ie, "propose" vs. "impose" the big fine. Now on to collection ...

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Agree with the OP.

Take their ticket and still fine them. But as he also posted, what's to prevent them from going a head after loosing their ticket and still continue jamming/interfering. It is a shame that we have these childish people who brake the laws/regulations. I've been into communications ever since I was about 6 years old and have heard some really dumb stuff on the air every once in a while. But over all, and mostly gentlemen and ladies. My thoughts are to have heavy fines AND take their equipment.

Token

From what it looks like the FCC is fond of heavy fines. Only thing is, from what I have been told, they not always gave to pay the full amount, and can get it reduced. All in all, I much rather see people like this lose their ticket, but then again with some who do not obey the rules to begin with, what is going to keep them off the air?

The FCC is fond of heavy fines in exceptional cases. This is an exceptional, long standing, case. The offender has had multiple contacts with the FCC in the past for similar actions. There have been written warnings long before the final event that caused this evolution. If you look at the references you will see that there have been warnings, letters, and various enforcement actions for this person going back more than 17 years. Some people just don’t get the message.

If you look at most of the enforcement bureau stuff people are contacted one time, officially warned, they acknowledge the warning, correct their actions or become more stealthy with them, and nothing further happens. However, some people just don’t get that the rules can apply to everyone, and the FCC can indeed cause you legal and financial pain if they pick you as the one who needs it.

Your question about people who ignore the regulations, what is to keep them off the air? Nothing in the short term. It is a free country and anyone can own radio gear, licensed individual or not (and I would not have it any other way). Since everyone is free to ignore the law they are free to break it. But the next time he gets busted (and I am willing to bet right now there will be a next time) the penalties will be even stiffer.

T!

k6cpo

The problem is that when the offenders can't pay the hefty fines, they essentially get off scott-free. if a few of these people were imprisoned when they couldn't pay, it might get the message across.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If you don't pay FCC fines, do you get flagged in the IRS's database? The IRS is little more, shall we say, persistent about getting people to pay.

N8OHU

The FCC is fond of heavy fines in exceptional cases. This is an exceptional, long standing, case. The offender has had multiple contacts with the FCC in the past for similar actions. There have been written warnings long before the final event that caused this evolution. If you look at the references you will see that there have been warnings, letters, and various enforcement actions for this person going back more than 17 years. Some people just don’t get the message.

If you look at most of the enforcement bureau stuff people are contacted one time, officially warned, they acknowledge the warning, correct their actions or become more stealthy with them, and nothing further happens. However, some people just don’t get that the rules can apply to everyone, and the FCC can indeed cause you legal and financial pain if they pick you as the one who needs it.

Your question about people who ignore the regulations, what is to keep them off the air? Nothing in the short term. It is a free country and anyone can own radio gear, licensed individual or not (and I would not have it any other way). Since everyone is free to ignore the law they are free to break it. But the next time he gets busted (and I am willing to bet right now there will be a next time) the penalties will be even stiffer.

T!
Yes, amd what's more, they have in really onerous cases refused to renew the license of a ham that has caused significant problems; see the enforcement action for the fellow that formerly held the callsign K1MAN.

Gator573

The problem is that when the offenders can't pay the hefty fines, they essentially get off scott-free. if a few of these people were imprisoned when they couldn't pay, it might get the message across.

Imprisoned? For a regulatory fine? Are these even crimes that have been committed?

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider

They can't throw someone in jail for what amounts to not paying a debt.

KD8DVR

Garnishments, income tax refund forfeits, etc... You piss off the Feds and you are royally screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.