new scanner help

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecatohio

ok.. new thread.. looking for a radio to use IN OHIO... I realize in my area marcs isn't big yet. but I travel. so what I'm looking for...
a. can pick up MARCS
b. easy programming if at all possible
c. has FTO
d. mobile, but a hand held would work too..

so I've looked at a PRO-106 and even a new uniden digital 556? so help, cost in low numerals would be an exciting thing too...

firecatohio

my previous one was looking for a two way radio... that in holding off on til we are officially set. was told if I purchase a radio I can get an ID for our user only talk groups.

but I'm looking for a scanner that would work. I'm looking at a RS pro-106 or something in uniden the 536? I'm looking for user friendly programming and low price. I'm willing to trade out or buy something if someone on here has something

budevans

P25 Scanners

Here's a list of P25 capable scanners. All are fully capable of monitoring MARCS 3.5 (old system being retired) and the new MARCS-IP.

GRE (PSR), Radio Shack (Pro), Whistler (WS):
PSR-500, PSR-800, Pro-106, Pro-651, Pro-668, WS1040, WS1080...Hand Held
PSR-600, Pro-197, Pro-652, WS1060, WS1095...Desktop/Mobile

Uniden:
BCD396XT, BCD325P2, BCD436HP...Hand Held
BCD996XT, HomePatrol 1, HomePatrol 2, BCD996P2, BCD536HP...Desktop/Mobile

Last edited by a moderator:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ok.. new thread.. looking for a radio to use IN OHIO... I realize in my area marcs isn't big yet. but I travel. so what I'm looking for...
a. can pick up MARCS
b. easy programming if at all possible
c. has FTO
d. mobile, but a hand held would work too..

so I've looked at a PRO-106 and even a new uniden digital 556? so help, cost in low numerals would be an exciting thing too...

Here's a list of P25 capable scanners. All are fully capable of monitoring MARCS 3.2 (old system being retired) and the new MARCS-IP.

GRE (PSR), Radio Shack (Pro), Whistler (WS):
PSR-500, Pro-106, Pro-651, Pro-668, WS1040, WS1080...Hand Held
PSR-600, Pro-197, Pro-652, WS1060, WS1095...Desktop/Mobile

Uniden:
BCD396XT, BCD325P2, BCD436HP...Hand Held
BCD996XT, HomePatrol 1, HomePatrol 2, BCD996P2, BCD536HP...Desktop/Mobile
To the list Bud provided, also add the new Whistler base/mobile, WS-1095.

If Fire Tone Out (FTO) is a definite requirement, then the only scanners to consider are the Uniden models, minus the HomePatrol 1 & 2.

Remember that FTO will not work on a trunked system, only on conventional channels, and while the scanner is set for FTO mode, it needs to be holding on the desired frequency. You cannot be in both FTO mode as well as normal scanning at the same time.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I just wanna use the FTO when in my jurisdiction.. other than that it'll be scanning.. I appreciate the info..

Have you considered carrying a pager, instead of locking your scanner onto a limited mode? Refurbished pagers are cheap, and you would not have to worry about changing modes on your scanner.

Sent via Tapatalk

Nasby

After hours of research, I have found the perfect scanner for you.

The Radio Shack PRO-668.

You are welcome!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I would recommend the BCD325P2 or the BCD996P2. The MARCS-IP system will eventually use Phase 2. You might as well purchase a scanner with that compatibility now so you don't have to purchase another one in the future.

My personal preference is the HomePatrol 2 but it doesn't do FTO.

You can always find a cheaper/used analog FTO scanner like a BC346XT/BCD396T/BCD396XT just for the FTO mode to use just as a pager so you won't have to tie up your scanner, and still listen to the action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.