Talk Group IDs - Phila Police - Northwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Can you tell me what Talk Group IDs are being used for feed Philadelphia Police - Northwest? When I compare the communications to my BCD536HP - communications received does not match the Live Feed.

Thanks

phillydjdan

Could be due to the substantial delay in RR's audio servers... The database is current for the Philly system, so if you have difficulty picking up what you're supposed to be you may need to explore other antenna options or change its location.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Thanks - I will look into an external antenna. I live in Mt. Airy. Ang suggestions on a good external antenna. I am using the bcd536hp?

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Curious to get feedback on the process fellow members use to document and ID new talk IDs?

My process is I have my scanner (bcd536hp) set to ID Search and document new IDs and add them to the DB as Unknown TGIDs and add an alerts so when they come up I can listen and identify what entity they belong to.

Once I identify I submit to the RRDB.

Thanks for any input.

phillydjdan

Let me say this:

The Philadelphia system is already mapped out and submitted to the database. The district channels are all there, as well as all fire channels and even a whole slew of other city agencies. If you're finding new talkgroups, that's all fine and good, but make sure you take a moment to consider it's usage before you submit it. There are channels that the police wanted kept low profile. Certain admins here posted them anyway. They pretty much cover the entire system. Since then, a few new channels have popped up as other agencies that were not on the system before came aboard. Case in point is the PPA and the Housing Police, who before the system was upgraded had been using their own 500 MHz conventional channels. Now, those ones are no big secret, nor do they carry sensitive conversations, but when you find a new one that's not already listed, think about whether its a good idea to put that information out there for the public.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
External Antenna Recommendation & Installer

I own a bcd536hp and live in Northwest Phila Pa. Does anyone have a recommendation for an external antenna for this scanner and an installer? The closest repeater to me is at Germantown ave. and Carpenter Lane which is about 1.5 miles away.

Thanks

phillydjdan

Search ebay for "800 MHz yagi" and see what's out there. I got a 3 or 4 element yagi for around $35 shipped. Its not real big and can mount on just about any small mast or pole. As for installers, I might be of some help for a small fee. Unless you already have a mast or pipe on your roof already I would likely just mount a small pipe on the side or the roof of the building and aim it at the tower. Oh, and get some good cable too, such as RG-8 or LMR-400

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Dan,

Will the 800MHZ yagi antenna also pick up freqs below 800 MHZ? Or will I need to switch between antennas?

Thanks

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
Learning new stuff everyday. What is the value of tracking UNITIDs vs TGIDs? Is the UNITID assigned to an individual or a dispatch unit? So a UNITID stays with the assigned person or dispatch unit?

phillydjdan

UNITIDs are the radios. TGIDs are the talk groups. The talkgroups are the "channels" used for different purposes. Both the police and fire often change UNITIDs because on the police side portable radios are issued at the beginning of a shift and are usually not assigned to any particular officer. Also note there are no mobile radios in the police cars. On the fire side radios are often damaged by dropping, melting, whatever, and are often times actually spares. When a fire unit identifies ittself, you could be seeing the radio # of the truck OR the portable. Some folks keep track of that stuff, but there isn't much need to do so. The channels are what you want to track, and those are the TGIDs.

mjs438

Premium Subscriber
City-Wide Aviation Division Operations TGID 65

Noticed listing to the City-Wide Aviation Operations Division TGID 65 broadcasts it sounds more like a district either dispatch of patrol.

JimNS3K

Premium Subscriber
I would think at your location a discone antenna mounted on the roof would be fine for Phila's system and whatever else you would want to listen to. Ham radio outlet sells the diamond discone antenna which is the one I use.

Jim

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
In a perfect world I would agree but anyone inside the city would receive simulcast "distortion" from linear simulcast modulation (LSM). No consumer scanner can deal with LSM properly if you are receiving transmissions from more than one site. You would need a directional Yagi pointed at the closest site to alleviate the issue.

I would think at your location a discone antenna mounted on the roof would be fine for Phila's system and whatever else you would want to listen to. Ham radio outlet sells the diamond discone antenna which is the one I use.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.