Has Monroe, Union County NC blocked listeners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallace2015

Good evening, I've been listening to my radio shack police scanner forever but just recently I'm getting nothing but 1 ems frequency. This is also the case with my mother who never turns hers off. I'm not sure if something has changed or have they blocked listeners? Any help would be great.

N8IAA

I'm going to presume that you are using a non-digital analog scanner.
Union county is on the Charlotte/Mecklenburg P-25 trunk system.
Larry

wa2chj

You are correct that Monroe uses the C/M trunk system, but both Union County Fire and Union SO have their own (FD-VHF and SO-UHF) simulcast frequencies.
I know Union Fire's VHF frequency is working as my pager and scanners can receive it fine. The SO UHF simulcast seems to come and go lately. It will be off for several days or a week, and then back on for a like time frame, then back off. The cars only have antennas for the trunk system, so I don't know why the UHF channels are still on the air, and they may disappear permanently sometime soon. The VHF FD channel is not going anywhere for the forseeable future.

Wallace2015

The only frequency I'm able to pick up is 155.400. I have a radioshack 2050 300 channel trunk tracker 2 scanner I bought when I lived in Charlotte. Now if I can get it programed again.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
The PRO 2050 will NOT follow the new C/M system The new system is an fully digital P25 TRS. Your scanner is not an digital capable scanner. Time to upgrade.

Wallace2015

Guess I'll go shopping tomorrow. I am still able to pick up Charlotte Mecklenburg on there trunk system so I was hoping union County would work also

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

kg4pbd

Guess I'll go shopping tomorrow. I am still able to pick up Charlotte Mecklenburg on there trunk system so I was hoping union County would work also

You are listening to the old analog system. You can hear CFD but the only CMPD division you will hear is Central. All other divisions are only on the digital system.

Wallace2015

That sounds right to me. I'm just dreading spending a lot of money but it's a tradition in my family to huddle around the scanner.

kg4pbd

And to add to what I mentioned above, I ran Unitrunker on the old system and it appears North division is also still coming across the analog system, in addition to Central.

There is still plenty to hear on that system, including county fire & medic, CFD alarm, CATS and Light-Rail ops, Mint Hill, PD, Mecklenburg sheriff, waste management trucks, etc. I don't know how long they are going to keep this system up, maybe someone who knows will chime in....

Wallace2015

It's gonna be tough spending money right now on a new scanner. Have you heard anything about the apps you can listen to on you cell phone? I've downloaded one but it never picks up anything.

kg4pbd

It's gonna be tough spending money right now on a new scanner. Have you heard anything about the apps you can listen to on you cell phone? I've downloaded one but it never picks up anything.

Keep your eyes open on Ebay for a used digital capable radio. Phone apps and streaming aren't the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.