Pro-96: Getting my Pro-96 to pick up P25 stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

equineguy

Hey there... maybe I am missing something, but I can't seem to pick up any of the digital traffic for Stafford:

I have the ARC96 software and uploaded the data from RadioRef for stafford county, Va. I have the fire rescue 154.175 in bank 1, and the P25 digital data in bank 2. Its simulcast, and I can get the VHF clear as a bell, but none of the talk around channels or digital channels are picking up. I tried to edit some of the data ( motorola/edacs ), and under the frequencies I have tried ( mot, FM/P25, DCS and so forth ) and none seem to work for the digital. Whether Im in Stafford at work with the rubber duckie, or at home in KG hooked to an external antenna - Im stuck with the 154.175 dispatch side and none of the units.

Anyone have the missing link? Driving me nuts!!

Thanks!

chipl57

Looking at the RR data for Stafford County, VA, I notice it's in the 700Mhz range. The Pro-96 won't do that. It has no coverage in that range of frequencies. At least mine doesn't!

equineguy

Wow... I just downloaded the PDF manual for the pro96.... and sure enough, it does not. Guess I missed that spec when I got this 'hand me down'. Thank you for enlightening me. Guess its time to upgrade.

Thank you very much for such a quick response.

blangell

Looking at the RR data for Stafford County, VA, I notice it's in the 700Mhz range. The Pro-96 won't do that. It has no coverage in that range of frequencies. At least mine doesn't!

Out of the box that is correct , but with ARC96 software the 764-806 can be enabled via the configuration tab. Equine guy as a work around I would try entering the 7 voice freqs in conventional mode not trunk mode and letting it scan. Although you will get all other departments on the trunk system.
I have had fairly good results using that method to scan MilAir in the 300.000 range. YMMV

From the Revision History of ARC96
Version 1.25 2003.10.03 12:45 PDT

Added options to the Edit menu that allow sorting channels and talk group lists
Added an “extended frequencies” option, which seems to enable some sort of hidden test mode that allows all frequencies except cellular. Frequencies can be sent from Win96, or can be entered directly on the scanner’s keypad (including in SR6 – Limit Search).
Addendum: Some ranges still appear to be "blocked" by the scanner. Here are the ranges that seem to be "opened" with this feature:
17 - 25
54 - 108
225 - 406
512 - 550
764 - 806
960 - 1240

N8IAA

Out of the box that is correct , but with ARC96 software the 764-806 can be enabled via the configuration tab. Equine guy as a work around I would try entering the 7 voice freqs in conventional mode not trunk mode and letting it scan. Although you will get all other departments on the trunk system.

True, but if the CC changes, your scanner will stop on it and not scan. But the scanner doesn't work well there. I used to have one and experimented with conventional 700MHz frequencies in my area. Milair is problematic because it depends on whether or not you have activity in the area. Again, it didn't work well for me.
Finding a Pro-106, or the new WS-1040, will work on the system out of the box. Then you can program just the TGID's that you want to monitor. With the 96, you won't be able to follow single conversations using the software mod.
Oh, and Win96 will do the same as ARC96.
Larry

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have had fairly good results using that method to scan MilAir in the 300.000 range. YMMV

That sounds correct as you can use programming software to open up some of the bands for a bit wider coverage. The 700 MHz band was a help but as you said, the 700 MHz frequencies that are not in the radios normal tuning range cannot be tracked from the P25 control channel data but those voice channels can be entered as conventional digital channels.

P25 voice decodes on the extended frequencies just fine as long as you are not also fighting simulcast distortion.
You just cannot trunk track a 700 MHz P25 system. The radio will not follow the control channels steering commands.

If I remember correctly, my 96 would steer to an odd 800 MHz frequency when the control channel told it too go to the actual 700 MHz frequency.

You can also use Don Starr's WIN96 from starrsoft.com for entering the out of band frequencies.

Same goes for trunk tracking a rebanded system or a VHF system, one must use software to enter in the custom tables. You can't add that info from the radio's keypad.

Nasby

Don't waste your time pulling your hair out. Your PRO-96 will suck if you try to scan the 700 MHz stuff. Plain and simple.

Just do yourself a big favor and sell the PRO-96 on Ebay or Craigslist. Take that money and buy a scanner designed to properly scan the system you want.

It may cost you 50 or 100 bux by the time its all said and done.

And you will be a happy camper!!

fredva

Feed Provider
Perhaps the biggest problem you would have with monitoring Stafford County's 700 Mhz voice frequencies in conventional mode is that the sheriff's department is encrypted. So probably at least half the time the PRO-96 stops on one of the 700 Mhz frequencies you are just going to hear noise. Without being able to program the system as a trunking system, there's no way to filter out the sheriff's department encrypted talkgroups.

My Dad has a PRO-2096 - the base version of the PRO-96 - programmed to listen to the Ohio MARCS-IP 700 Mhz trunking system in conventional mode, and it actually works pretty well. No encryption on the system in his area, or at least there wasn't when I last visited, and the audio is pretty clear. Maybe he is just in a good spot to get clear reception, to overcome the disadvantage with the scanner's tuning.

equineguy

Nasby.... that is crossing my mind. I have had it stop in the 700s and break squelch, but that all I get ( not really interested in the Sherrifs side anyway )... so it gave me the glimmer of hope that it would work. I figured, if I was able to insert the freqs... it would work. Unlike my bearcat - if I entered a freq outside its range, it slapped me in the face for that instant correction ( or gratification - depending on my mood ehh ehh ). But the pro96 took it..... what a cruel tease.

Nasby

Nasby.... that is crossing my mind. I have had it stop in the 700s and break squelch, but that all I get ( not really interested in the Sherrifs side anyway )... so it gave me the glimmer of hope that it would work. I figured, if I was able to insert the freqs... it would work. Unlike my bearcat - if I entered a freq outside its range, it slapped me in the face for that instant correction ( or gratification - depending on my mood ehh ehh ). But the pro96 took it..... what a cruel tease.

The PRO-96 was a great scanner back in the day.

If you do end up buying a new scanner, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at not only the ability to track 700 MHz, but the overall improvements made in the reception of digital systems.

equineguy

Sooooooo.... working within budget and to meet my needs.... do you think a Pro-197 would be a good 'upgrade' to my pro-96? ( looking for desktop one anyway.... )

I have a Pro-2066, which has been great so far- but plan on keeping that one for home use..

chipl57

I have a Pro-197 and love it! Covers everything I want to hear and is much more sensitive than any of my Uniden scanners. About a year ago I purchased a Uniden BCD396XT and there is no comparison in performance to the Pro-197. The Uniden is deaf as a post compared to the 197. The 396 has other issues as well. Not happy with it at all.

Swipesy

Sooooooo.... working within budget and to meet my needs.... do you think a Pro-197 would be a good 'upgrade' to my pro-96? ( looking for desktop one anyway.... )

I have a Pro-2066, which has been great so far- but plan on keeping that one for home use..

The direct answer to your question is as follows -

1. If you want to listen to any P-25 Phase I (not Phase II) systems and they are using 700 band for Control channels and alternative channels then the Pro-197 will work. Don't listen to anybody who tries to sell you on forcing a P-96 to work on 700 band. The 96 was never meant to work on 700 band and it is not worth fooling with it.

2. If you have any P-25 Systems using Phase II then the Pro-197 will not work on Phase II. You would need to go to (In GRE or Whistler brands) the PSR-800, RS 668, Whistler 1080 or 1095). The new Unidens 436, 536 work on Phase II.

3. There is no one answer to the P25 simulcast issues.All radios, even the public service radios have trouble with simulcast. My preference is with GRE/Whistler/Radio Shack because the user interface is far superior to the Unidens (yes I have programmed the Uniden's)

No matter which brand you choose it will work.

Nasby

Yes. The PRO-197 would be a great upgrade so long as you don't need Phase II capabilities.

equineguy

Ill have to educate myself on Phase II. I just got used to the the words digital and P25 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.