RasPi for streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETMegabyte

I know the overall question about RasPi for streaming has been discussed, but I have a more specific query...

I currently have a windows 7 machine that I use to stream to broadcastify. It currently runs ScannerCast, and it works fine. But for reasons I won't go into here, I really want to convert that box to linux, and in doing so, remove the scanner broadcasting from that box. So, while researching the things I need to consider when making that switch, I got to thinking about my options.

The RasPis have been out quite awhile, and apparently the new one is something special. I was wondering if anyone has set up a easily-reproducible raspi software image to do this? I'm familiar with linux, but to be frank, I don't really feel like going through the hassle of setting this up myself, especially if it's already been done. I'm looking for an image I can dump on an SD card that goes with a specific set of hardware (a specific raspi, with a specific usb sound card, etc), where all I have to do is configure some passwords and network configuration, and have it go. Throw it in a closet with the scanner and a UPS, and forget about it.

Thoughts?

-Eric

frazpo

This has crossed my mind many times and it's an excellent idea. This would be similar to the way FlightAware operates with its imaged ads-b decoding software for the Pi.
The only issues I would see is the finicky usb soundcard audio. If you look through the forums I bet this would be the biggest issue. Weird thing is everyone seems to have slightly different settings. But still, like you said it would be nice to image it, put it in Pi, mess with some settings and put it away.

nsradio

Premium Subscriber
I use a RaspPi for my feed. I tried compiling DarkIce with mp3 support myself, but couldn't manage to get it to work. I was able to find an image on here once but can't for the life of me find it again.

It is a great option, I never have to touch it even after a shutdown. You just need to make sure the sound card you use is compatible (from frustrating experience). Read the reviews on Amazon and you can find if it works and for cheap money.

DC31

Feed Provider
I make no guarantees as this image is a year old and i don't remember now how successful it was.

Instructions: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9sLdBjMInCVdUJ3dEpBSTd0Skk

Image: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9sLdBjMInCVWTBOQm1KeHRLejQ

Please post back here yout experiences with it to help ease others frustrations with it.

Jim

PS: i rather doubt this image will run on a pi2. It was put together before the pi2 was out so the OS is too old to have been updated. If you have a B or B+ you could load the image on there and do sudo update/ upgrade to try to make it work on the pi2

Last edited:

frazpo

I use a RaspPi for my feed. I tried compiling DarkIce with mp3 support myself, but couldn't manage to get it to work. I was able to find an image on here once but can't for the life of me find it again.

It is a great option, I never have to touch it even after a shutdown. You just need to make sure the sound card you use is compatible (from frustrating experience). Read the reviews on Amazon and you can find if it works and for cheap money.

I run a Broadcastify feed and a personal feed on one pi utilizing darkice and icecast server. The audio is crystal clear. What was the problem your yours? audio?

ETMegabyte

I run a Broadcastify feed and a personal feed on one pi utilizing darkice and icecast server. The audio is crystal clear. What was the problem your yours? audio?

There is no problem. Yet. I haven't set up a pi for it. I didn't want to go through the hassle of setting it up if an already working image was available. No sense doing the same work someone else has already done.

The RasPi that I have available right now is the older one, not the pi2... So, I'll take a look at the links above...

-ET

jshg46

Thanks DC31 for posting this link. I might give the PI a chance and see how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.