DOJ IWN silence

Status
Not open for further replies.

code3kid

Hello all,
I recently began attempting to monitor the DOJ IWN with a Uniden BCD396XT with no luck, I am located in Wenatchee WA in Chelan county. The only two sites in my area with a received signal strength healthy enough to be able to decode the control channel data are Burch Mountain and Beezley hill (occasionally goat). I set up a system with those two sites each only programed with their respective control frequency, set to ID search, and band plan set to "0". After a week of nonstop monitoring I haven't heard a peep not even an encrypted talk group indication. Though when I hold on either site they display their SID and the systems WACN. Am I doing something wrong or are the sites in my area just not being used much yet. WSP grant, Chelan, okanogan counties are still analog. Any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks!

kd7kdc

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I would be inclined to believe they are just not being used much yet. There are days that go by where there are less than 5 key ups on the Spokane sites.

code3kid

Ok, that's a big relief. I was under the impression that WSP district 4 had completely transitioned to the IWN and that 154.905 was just a simulcast. I spent the better half of today on mission ridge monitoring every site I could find including Mica, 052, 057 with full bars and wondering WTF I was doing wrong, but I had SRECS up and running like a champ.

Thanks for the reply!

scottkrueger

Premium Subscriber
Let me know if you find anymore info, I live in east Wenatchee and use an hp1 and uploaded the same info with the same results silence. I have heard that wsp distric 6 will be going digital in August but that's always subject to change as well. If I hear any new info I will shoot ya an msg..

yakmedic

Here in Yakima when I listen with my 396xt I don't hear any traffic except for WSP (they just started using the system). However if you use pro96com or unitrunker to watch the control channel you will see that there is tons of traffic but all of the voice calls are encrypted and the 396xt will ignore any encrypted calls.

code3kid

To yakmed, has WSP Yakima completely transitioned to the IWN or is it still kind of on a testing/trial basis. The other day I was listening to the Whisky site which someone had reported Yakima dispatch on and I didn't hear a thing. And that's a bummer the 396xt ignores encrypted traffic, I thought it displayed the TGID and showed ENC on the display. I might have to get pro96com.

Thanks yakmed!

code3kid

To Scott Krueger, Thanks man I'll let you know if I find something out. I recently talked to our local WSP tech and he said that the issue were going to have in district with conventional P25 in district 6 is multi path due to all the sites and mountainous terrain. He also said that transitioning to the IWN would be difficult because of the lack of sites, ideally there would need to be IWN sites on Chelan Butte, Round mountain, Mission Ridge, and Skyline Lake.

Thanks Scott!

kd7kdc

Banned
Seems like the WSP is going with the System of Systems approach. Which means they could show up on your local public safety trunked system.

kd7kdc

Banned
What site are you receiving SRECS on Code3kid?

code3kid

Well I was on mission ridge at 7,000 ft so was picking up upper Mica and Mt Spokane line of sight.

yakmedic

I only had a few minutes to listen, I will look into it and get back to you. Union Gap WPS TG is 59311 on IWN.

I use my 396xt with pro96com, but mostly i use a RTL-SDR dongle with unitrunker that way it can do its thing and then i review the logs to see what is going on with the system when i have time

Last edited:

yakmedic

Sunnyside site (#38) also has Union Gap WSP on it. It is using TG 59308 and it appears to be a simulcast from the Selah site. The sunnyside traffic only has one Radio ID associated with any of the calls where as the selah site has different IDs for dispatch and the cars. the dispatch radio ID is 0 ( zero ) where as the cars are 750xxxx ( about 25 so far ).

kd7kdc

Banned
The reason for the one ID is the dispatchers console is repeating the non IWN traffic onto the IWN talkgroup using the dispatchers radio.
Hope this makes sense.

Steve

code3kid

Sunnyside site (#38) also has Union Gap WSP on it. It is using TG 59308 and it appears to be a simulcast from the Selah site. The sunnyside traffic only has one Radio ID associated with any of the calls where as the selah site has different IDs for dispatch and the cars. the dispatch radio ID is 0 ( zero ) where as the cars are 750xxxx ( about 25 so far ).

It's interesting that only the sunnyside site has the single ID. Sounds to me like the sites are linked. If the WSP console is repeating the non IWN traffic wouldn't that single ID be on both sites?

Status
Not open for further replies.