Anyone around New London have every VHF go nuts ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Anyone around New London have every VHF go nuts around 12:04hrs, July 26th?

For the past two minutes, where I am in Niantic , every VHF is going berzerk. I mean everything, two Minitor IV pagers, a Minitor III pager, Astro Saber, XTS3000, MT1000 , static only for a solid two minutes for East Lyme PD and FD, L&M Medics, GFA Dispatch, Tac 2, Tac 3, Command East and West , Lifestar, Montville FD (both dispatch) and PD, USCG 16 and 22, Groton City PD, Norwich FD, Amtrak PD, NOAA WX, every one of them solid static for two minutes.

UHF, LowBand and 800mhz radios unaffected.

sefrischling

It was very strange, which is why I started checking every channel, then going through each radio and it was everything. Thanks for the solar storm web link, that is an interesting resource.

Ed6698

I am not in your area, I live in Indiana. However I was noticing erratic/static behavior on many VHF frequencies on the 26th. I was thinking to myself what is going on tonight. I even heard PD units complaining something was wrong, one unit was even asking if someone else is on their frequency, and that other units have been making the same complaint, dispatch responded that no one else was on the frequency. But then I heard dispatch trying to respond to another town that is pretty far off. What I found strange also I was picking up some VHF that I normally do not pick up clearly. It just seamed like a strange night of monitoring in the northwest part of Indiana. The reason I responded to this thread is I was looking for anyone else noticing this behavior.

sefrischling

Thom, I have Old Lyme/Lyme low band in a Minitor IV and MT1000, and UHF in an Astro Saber and XTS3000. No issues with them. Every marine channel was that static though.

Did you have an issue with Low Band or UHF ?

oilmillcharlie

Premium Subscriber
Had one of my radios go bonkers on VHF Hi last night about 9:00 PM. Would not receive the weather bands. When I opened the squelch I heard a loud over-riding buzzing sound. Static on almost all other channels and I received stations I never heard before loud and clear.
Also when riding home from RI in the PM I had my Ipod playing thru an FM transmitter on FM frequency 107.1 which is normally quiet in this area. Suddenly an extremely loud station came booming over the frequency obliterating my Ipod music and then faded out after a few minutes.

Must be Global Warming????

sefrischling

OilMillCharlie,

Yesterday evening around then the two VHF Minitor IVs I had on me went nuts for a little while.
Channel A on one is East Lyme FD, Channel B is East Lyme PD. The other has L&M Medics on A and Groton Fire Alam on B. All four channels were a loud static that lasted again around two minutes. The Low Band Minitor IV with Lyme/Old Lyme and Waterford FD didn't have the same issue.

snowscout

I had static noise issues from 8 pm through 8:30 pm last night. Lots of static! I thought it was the weather that may have been causing it. Atmospheric disturbances maybe? ET getting rowdy? LOL

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
There has been a considerable amount of tropospheric ducting (simply put, long distance or DX reception) lately due to weather conditions, which could be a contributing factor.

Or.... :D

Attachments

• xfiles.jpg
    xfiles.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 360

SCPD

QRT
There has been a considerable amount of tropospheric ducting (simply put, long distance or DX reception) lately due to weather conditions, which could be a contributing factor.

Or.... :D

Indeed there has been. Noticed allot lately specially in AM and low bands.

wa1nic

Premium Subscriber
Baltimore Fishbowl Giant Drone-Hunting Blimp to Launch Over Baltimore - Baltimore Fishbowl

jlens2.jpg

aheely

Nice Picture

Nice picture but what does it have to do with this forum, i.e. Connecticut Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of Connecticut.

Status
Not open for further replies.