Columbus PD signal slightly worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mparker

I've noticed over the past few months my scanner seems more staticky than normal. I sort of payed no attention to it thinking maybe they were updating a transmit site but it hasn't improved. We at probably talking a 6-8 month time frame?

Anyone else?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
They do have one or more frequencies that have more static than others. I have even received problem reports on my feed from listeners, which I reply it is beyond my control.

It really depends on how much they are willing to spend on the old analog system with the digital system looming in the distance, provided this static isn't causing problems with their radios.

wdz

Feed Provider
I've noticed this too recently. I'm having a lot of static in places that I had crystal clear reception before. I've also heard dispatch telling units they are staticy or garbled more often so it's not just scanners.

mparker

Good to know. Thanks guys.

Any info when they are going to go digital?

I am itching to get a fancy new scanner. [emoji12]

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Good to know. Thanks guys.

Any info when they are going to go digital?

I am itching to get a fancy new scanner. [emoji12]

Buy now, it won't be too much longer. By the time they start moving you'll have a good idea how to use your complicated new box . . .

Maddawg1787

Premium Subscriber
I've also heard dispatch telling units they are staticy or garbled more often so it's not just scanners.

As one of those dispatchers I can assure you it is just as annoying for us. Zone 4 is the worst. Gets very aggravating having to ask officers to repeat themselves 3-4 times. And we all know how asking an officer to repeat themselves multiple times goes...lol.

gtaman

Hearing CPD units going to the radio shop to have their radios reprogrammed....getting close.

FCSO has already switched over. You can hear them on the Franklin County multicast on IP.
CPD is in the process
CFD will be the last to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
FCSO has already switched over. You can hear them on the Franklin country multicast on IP.
CPD is in the process
CFD will be the last to go.
The FCSO has been multicasting on P-25 and the old TRS system. The suburban agencies using the old TRS system, such as Westerville, Arlington, and the ones on MARCS, such as Whitehall, Gahanna, and all the county fire departments will be switching too.

phatboy48

I switched my Franklin County SO feed to the new IP system simulcast but discovered that 25EAST talkgroup had disappeared. 25WEST is still active. This has been the case for the last week or so. As a result I have started feeding both the old system and IP system for Franklin County SO. I will keep this configuration until they get things smoothed out on the IP system.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I switched my Franklin County SO feed to the new IP system simulcast but discovered that 25EAST talkgroup had disappeared. 25WEST is still active. This has been the case for the last week or so. As a result I have started feeding both the old system and IP system for Franklin County SO. I will keep this configuration until they get things smoothed out on the IP system.
I am hearing the SO East channel just fine on the IP.

phatboy48

Thats odd because I am still hearing the WEST group fine. The EAST group is not inadvertently locked out and I am getting good signal from the site. Will have to upload the scanner to my PC and take a closer look at the programming.

KD8DVR

Seems to me it isn't converted over... just FCSO dispatch is being patched over (poorly) I don't see any cars sending a unit ID over the p25 stuff. None of their back channels are there, either.

wdz

Feed Provider
Per FCSO dispatch they will be switching sometime in January, but when exactly is still up in the air.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
Tonight I wasn't picking up any FCSO on MARCS-IP. Unlocked the old system and was hearing all the usual stuff. I wonder if they've temporarily switched back.

Status
Not open for further replies.