• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Global Tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
hey guys, I have GP380 uhf and i programmed it with R03.08.03 EN.I wanna program the output power and i know I need global tuner, but the problem is my windows is 7 and mac. Is there any global tuner or software that I can install in windows 7 ? Or any way to use the XP version of global tuner?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
hey guys, I have GP380 uhf and i programmed it with R03.08.03 EN.I wanna program the output power and i know I need global tuner, but the problem is my windows is 7 and mac. Is there any global tuner or software that I can install in windows 7 ? Or any way to use the XP version of global tuner?
The GP380 is a European radio and not FCC certified for use in the US. Since you are apparently located in Michigan, you should not be transmitting on this radio at all unless you are a licensed amateur radio operator, and then only on the authorized amateur frequencies. But, do as you please. I'm not your mother.

Now, that said, the tuner software comes bundled with the CPS. You should already have it.

Just be aware that the tuner software is not for the beginner. One wrong keypress can brick the radio. Even experienced and well trained programmers who don't have the proper equipment won't use the tuner software.

Last edited:

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
The GP380 is a European radio and not FCC certified for use in the US. Since you are in Michigan, you should not be transmitting on this radio at all unless you are a licensed amateur radio operator, and then only on the authorized amateur frequencies. But, do as you please. I'm not your mother.

Now, that said, the tuner software comes bundled with the CPS. You should already have it.

Just be aware that the tuner software is not for the beginner. One wrong keypress can brick the radio. Even experienced and well trained programmers who don't have the proper equipment won't use the tuner software.

Hey, tnx for replay
I'm working with cps and gp series about 4 years, so i know what i'm doing with cps. But befor i change my laptop i had windows xp and easely worked with global tuner. But after i changed it. I have windows 7 and mac. My question is how can i program the output power on windows 8 because the global tuner stop working every time i clicked on read the radio. Or is there any other software for programming the output power of gp series?
Yes i have the cps and global tuner. Cps is working but global tuner is not working.
Thank you for your information about transmitting in michigan. What is the reason? Can you tell me more about rules? Because i'm not familiar with rules in michigan!

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
What is the papular radio in the US? I didn't work with other radios except GP series. If there is any radio that is same as gp series tell me pls.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your information about transmitting in michigan. What is the reason? Can you tell me more about rules? Because i'm not familiar with rules in michigan!
I am not going to get into a long drawn out discussion about FCC rules.

Short answer: Federal Communications Commission rules apply everywhere in the US. If you have been playing with radios for at least 4 years as you claim, you must have acquired some knowledge about this. If not, there's plenty of info here on RR about it for the reading.

It does not take 2 seconds with Google to figure out what the US equivalent of the GP380 might be.

This is my only and last reply to you. I am beginning to think you're trolling here and I will not be any further part of it.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've deleted a few off-topic replies.

Gentlemen, let's try and keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

N4KVE

Older radios do not work well with newer versions of Windows. You have to keep your XP machine for the programming software you have been using. It seems obvious your software does not like newer Windows. For example, I had been using XP to program my XPR TRBO radios, but Moto said once you go past CPS11, you will have to use Windows 7. So keep the old laptop & operating system to program the older radios. I still have an old DOS machine to program Sabers, Maxtracs, & Sectras. Can't use a 2015 machine to program 1995 radios. By the way, the US FCC approved version of that radio is the HT1250. The GP380 was never sold in this country.

Last edited:

riveter

Premium Subscriber
I use global tuner daily with Windows 7, no issues. Com port settings are the key. Oh, and where required, ensuring that a proper cable and RIB are used via an actual serial port.

CommJunkie

Mine works fine on Windows 7. I changed all of the compatibility settings to Windows XP SP3, but you can only do that in Windows 7 Ultimate.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Mine works fine on Windows 7. I changed all of the compatibility settings to Windows XP SP3, but you can only do that in Windows 7 Ultimate.

All Win 7 versions offer the "Compatibility Mode" setting.

You may be thinking about the thing called "XP Mode" which is really just a Virtual Machine that runs a copy of XP within itself.
That is different than the Compatibility Mode settings.

The XP Mode virtual machine is not available in lesser versions of Win 7 below Win 7 Pro. Win 7 Pro and above is where the XP Mode virtual machine was allowed to be installed but none of the Home versions would allow install of the XP Mode virtual machine.

The Compatibility Mode settings are available in all versions of Win 7. Win XP and Vista versions also offered the Compatibility Mode settings.

The XP Mode Virtual Machine can actually be installed and does run on Win 7 Home Basic and Premium but it takes some trickery to get it to run. The Win 7 Home versions license does not actually allow it from a legal perspective though.

There is an article at the tomshardware website that explains how to install and run XP Mode on any Win 7 version though.

I've found that almost everything made for XP will run just fine if you installed the 32 bit version of Win 7. It's the 64 bit version of Win 7 and higher that cause problems as a lot of older hardware does not offer 64 bit drivers.
For my "radio" computers, I'll often install the 32 bit version of the OS as I work with a lot of older hardware.
Even then, there are 16 bit applications or below that will not run on Win 7 32 bit. For those, you either need XP Mode installed on Win 7 or keep a few old computers running that have old OS's on them. I still keep a couple MSDOS machines running as well as Win 3.11 machines. I usually have dual or greater drives in those machines that also contain Win 95 or 98 for dual booting into about anything. Many are old point of sale machines that had 4 motherboard mounted serial ports on them as you could never have too many real serial ports if messing with old radios and 8 or 16 bit software! Most of them allowed for custom IRQ's to be set for each serial port in the BIOS so you could actually use all 4 ports at the same time.

For those Win 7 machines that I did need XP Mode installed, I'll always install the 64 bit version of Win 7 so the machine could take advantage of greater amounts of ram. XP Mode can only use just over 3 GBytes of ram or virtual ram just like the real 32 bit XP.
I think Microsoft recommends that XP Mode be installed on a 64 bit machine with 4 or more GB of ram (I recommend 8 GB or more) so XP Mode itself does not slow down the real machine that much.
That allows you to still run Win 7 software outside of the virtual XP Mode machine without a large performance hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.