Broadcastify Aircraft ATC Feed Appliance Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
In the next month, we are going to make a significant investment to increase our coverage of Live Aircraft ATC communications on Broadcastify. With this in mind, we are now accepting applications for volunteers willing to host a preconfigured feed appliance to monitor aircraft communications.

Our primary focus for this program starting off will be to cover tower communications at the largest airports. I envision that we will invest in and deploy about 50 of these preconfigured appliances to start.

If you are interested, you will need to meet the following requirements

- Have an antenna ready to go
- Have an ethernet connection to the internet
- Have the ability to monitor both air and ground communications for the airport

To get started, please fill out this form. We'll be in touch with those that meet our requirements for coverage. The feed appliance will be preconfigured and the only action that volunteers will need to take will be to connect an antenna, connect an ethernet connection, and power on the device.

Here is the form:

http://goo.gl/forms/gm17IZuiEt

Thanks!

DC31

Feed Provider
I plan on doing further testing for multiple streams over the next few days. Using rtl-airband you should be able to broadcast quite a few streams I believe.

I did a bunch of testing today using rtl-airband on a Model B pi I had laying around. It looks quite promising. However, all my work is in the public safety band which is narrow band FM rather than AM. The AM band seems to be hard coded into rtl-airband. I believe that it is a simple parameter in the rtl command line (-M fm vs -M am) but I am not enough of a programmer to figure it out. Any chance that parameter could be made user configurable?

Jim

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We've received about 30 applications so far. I expect that I'll start purchasing the equipment next week and by next weekend we'll start building the first set of appliance and shipping out to the largest airpprt locations first.

frazpo

Raspberry Pi load

Nice work! Just loaded the packages on an original model Pi. Works fine, clean audio.
I still stream regular analog frequencies so this will be nice to have. Now I need another Pi for my ADS-B decoder.

mjbjr

I guess if i have to ask this then I may not be the right person. But what kind of antenna would we need?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I guess if i have to ask this then I may not be the right person. But what kind of antenna would we need?

Anything the picks up VHF aero band. There are some band specific antennas, or a multi-band antenna, such as a discone.

Sent via Tapatalk

KD0TAZ

Feed Provider
I'm not near any large airport, but I'm right between two regional airports (HYS and GBD) that do commercial puddlejumper service as well as private aircraft.. I'm 20 miles from HYS and 30 miles from GBD (although I'd have to see if I can hear GBD, there might be a line of sight issue) in the flight paths. I realize it would be low on the list but is that something you'd consider?

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We've gotten all the equipment in today - now we'll be building the production image, doing some final testing, and beginning to reach out to those who filled out applications.

Stay tuned for more...

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,463

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Lindsay, I am currently going through testing to see what I can pick up from Albany International (ALB) right now, so far I can confirm Approach and Departure from east and west and Tower, but have not finished testing the rest. Should I put in the application in the meantime or wait until I can confirm what else I can pick up?

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We're shipping out our first test batch of 5 feed appliances this week. Airports covered this week include KIAD, KLAF, KBWI, KTEB, and KCLE

(Dulles, Purdue, BWI, Teterboro, and Cleveland)

These 5 airports give us a good test of single dongle and multiple dongle setup.

We've got about 18 ready to go after that provided things go smooth with the initial test run. We'll then do another batch of 25 after that.

Keep the appliance applications coming (see the original post) and we'll be selecting priority airports for coverage as we go along.

Thanks!

btrogdon

Multi Feeds one Pi

Just a heads up my feeds (Six total) are streaming via the Raspberry Pi. Two feeds per Pi as my devices have only two USB ports. I have thought about trying the newer devices that have 4 USB ports.

-Brad

665_NJ

Scanner enthusiast
Premium Subscriber
KTEB - ATC now LIVE

Hi Folks,

With Lindsay's assistance and guidance I'm up and running as one of the first of five Radio Reference's "test" nodes for ATC. Covering KTEB (Teterboro Airport, Bergen County, New Jersey)

Attached to the Raspberry PI are

1 RTL Stick - Monitoring KTEB Tower Primary and Alternate Frequencies (2 Freqs.)
1 RTL Stick - Monitoring the Aircraft Emergency Frequency (NY Area Guard) 121.5 MHz

1 3D USB Sound Card Dongle - Monitoring a RS Pro 2067 Scanner with NY Approach and Departure Frequencies for Teterboro

Using a Comet CX-333 Triband External antenna.

Please give these feeds a listen. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Otherwise enjoy the Labor Day weekend with your family and friends!

Max :cool:

webstar22

RenfrewCountyScanner.com
Feed Provider
Lindsay any thought about doing both a ATC feed and a live ADSB feed of the local airtraffic to go with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.