Pro-96: 800 MHz 6.25 kHz high in frequency...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have a Pro-96 that's about 12 years old now. It's been "rode hard" but not necessarily tossed around. A while ago, I noticed that 800 MHz receive was distorted. By playing around with searches, I found that if I added 6.25 kHz to the receive frequency, I could receive reliably again. So, I reprogrammed the EDACS system I listen to a lot with the offset frequencies. The other day, I found the thread about VR4. I moved the pot and was able to receive on the normal frequency again, but it didn't seem to warp the frequency fully down. I still get signals on both, as though the reference oscillator is half-way between the two frequencies.

I had the service manual at one time, but haven't seen it in years. I don't recall reading about any alignment points to net in a reference oscillator, anyway.

Have any of you ever come across this, and if you were able to address the problem yourself, what did you do? I have a small radio shop with a service monitor and other instrumentation, so I would be taking care of it myself.

Thank you.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Sounds like a narrowband system on a wide band radio.. Might be time to upgrade, 12 years on a scanner is more than a lifetime, especially with the recent updates and band changes..

Sounds like a narrowband system on a wide band radio.. Might be time to upgrade, 12 years on a scanner is more than a lifetime, especially with the recent updates and band changes..

Hi, and thank you for the reply dcr_inc. I don't disagree that it's time for an update - time has not been kind to the plastic case and the tiny little fragile battery door tabs have broken years ago (inside the unit is fine), but I'd likely hand this down to one of my kids for as long as it is compatible with the local system. As for me, I don't know what I'd get at this point.

The system I monitor where I'm currently at is a wideband 800 MHz EDACS. At some point out in the distance, they will be going to Harris' flavor of P25, but it appears it will happen in very slow increments.

If this were a radio I've worked with on the bench, I would start looking at the reference oscillator, but I don't know if that's an e-pot setting, or a physical potentiometer inside.

ecps92

Similar issue occured on my Original GRE600 for the 700/800/900 bands, everything is off by 6.25 khz

Since I used it mainly for FEDERAL monitoring, never did get around to sending it to back

I have a Pro-96 that's about 12 years old now. It's been "rode hard" but not necessarily tossed around. A while ago, I noticed that 800 MHz receive was distorted. By playing around with searches, I found that if I added 6.25 kHz to the receive frequency, I could receive reliably again. So, I reprogrammed the EDACS system I listen to a lot with the offset frequencies. The other day, I found the thread about VR4. I moved the pot and was able to receive on the normal frequency again, but it didn't seem to warp the frequency fully down. I still get signals on both, as though the reference oscillator is half-way between the two frequencies.

I had the service manual at one time, but haven't seen it in years. I don't recall reading about any alignment points to net in a reference oscillator, anyway.

Have any of you ever come across this, and if you were able to address the problem yourself, what did you do? I have a small radio shop with a service monitor and other instrumentation, so I would be taking care of it myself.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.