DMR entry for time slots and color codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Is there or will there ever be in the database entry for time slots and color codes for departments that switch to DMR or MotoTRBO? We have PL tone codes and NAC codes in the database for conventional and P25, but how about for DMR? Some people may want to know this if we figure both of them out?

RayAir

Is there or will there ever be in the database entry for time slots and color codes for departments that switch to DMR or MotoTRBO? We have PL tone codes and NAC codes in the database for conventional and P25, but how about for DMR? Some people may want to know this if we figure both of them out?

Run DSD . Get the info. Submit to database.

RayAir

I have before and there is no slot to put that in any database here

Under "Tone" they put the color code, ex- 4CC, under "Description" goes the user name, slot, and TG, ex- Hospital Police (TS 1, TG- 40).

If you don't see it in the database it hasn't been submitted by anyone.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately it appears it will be a long time - if ever - for the database to properly show the slot, color code and so on...I suspect that these pages are scripted, so a whole new set of scripts - along with changes to the web service itself - would be needed. That's probably not a small job.

It's probably not high on any to-do list because no scanner can handle TRBO out of the box...yet.

Fortunately the wiki has a complete set of templates for handling this information for TRBO trunking systems. Let me know if you want to know how to use them

MIke

Last edited:

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
Here's an example of what Ray_Air is referring to:

151.03250 10 CC PCSD/EMS Cookeville Tower - EMS Dispatch Slot 1/Sheriff Dispatch Slot 2

Unfortunately agreed that until DMR/NXDN etc become more mainstream and more scanners natively support them the DB likely won't be reconfigured.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We can configure a template for that in our wiki, if needed....It should be pretty simple for conventional TRBO freqs...Mike

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
I only make note of it cause they now how DMR digital radios that are in the more consumer affordable range. Taters makes one. The 380 series if memory serves me right for under 200 bucks that transmits UHF and can decode conventional TRBO tiers 1 and 2. So that's why I asked cause some people may make this more affordable investment and use it simply for scanning purposes for local departments that may have migrated to DMR conventional.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
As for others who make note for input I do appreciate this and that's how we shall design it so people can at least know the color codes and time slots to decode DMR for a given frequency that has migrated. Thanks

D

DaveNF2G

The Slot number is only half of the identifying information for each user. Within the slots, there are group IDs.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Which, if I understand this correctly, are similar to talkgroups in a standard Motorola trunk...Mike

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
To my knowledge as well group ids pertain to Tier 3 TDMA talkgroups. In reference to Tier 1/2 TDMA conventional. The scanner must know the Time Slot and Color Code to be able to listen to the particular frequency.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Groups are used in conventional as well. A scanner would need to know the group in order to separate different users.

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
Groups are used in conventional as well. A scanner would need to know the group in order to separate different users.

Okay and would you care to explain how many group possibilities there can be for someone trying to determine each? Would they use DSD to figure it out? Or trial and error when programming?

KA2ZEY

Okay and would you care to explain how many group possibilities there can be for someone trying to determine each? Would they use DSD to figure it out? Or trial and error when programming?

That's how I do it. Here in NYC there are tons of DMR users and I start up SDR# and DSD+ and hunt around for DMR signals. DSD+ show the Color code, Talk Group and Time Slot, all needed to listen to a DMR user.

You'll often find that there are the same Talk Group numbers used by different users. Like 7000 is used by 2 different businesses in the area (at least). If your DMR radio has Ham stuff programmed too, you might have a business user using Talk Group 1 which is WW on the DMR-MARC network.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager

Same way we used to do it in the old days of trunking.

Software or Search mode.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Valid group IDs are 1 thru 16776415. So you really need software like DSD+ to determine the proper value. That being said many MANY users around me use 1, 10, 100 etc... But some are seemingly totally random.

RayAir

Valid group IDs are 1 thru 16776415. So you really need software like DSD+ to determine the proper value. That being said many MANY users around me use 1, 10, 100 etc... But some are seemingly totally random.

Yep, I've seen group codes ranging from simple programming (1,2,3...) to using zip codes, phone numbers , and completely random numbers.

Interestingly, every Cap+ ive encountered has simple programming.

I thought I remember reading Cap+ TG values are limited?

Another note and option, if you don't want to run DSD is the CS750 radio. Apparently it can be set to "monitor" mode where it will unmute for any group code received. You'll still need the CC, frequency, and slot of course but it is a step in the right direction and as close to a "scanner" as you can get.

DSD Plus downloaded from dsdplus.com (not the other freeware malware infested sites) is definitely the way to go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.