what do you think is more sensitive ?

what do you think is more sensitive ?

• radioshack signalstalker

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

. posting a poll. what do you find more sensitive ?.

uniden closecall.
gre/whistler spectrumsweeper.
radioshack signalstalker.

if you wish. comments too please.

with my very limited experience with radioshack scanners, to be fair, i found signalstaler about equal with spectrumsweeper, as far as sensitivity. so i voted for spectrumsweeper. closecall being the least sensitive.

Last edited by a moderator:

ScannerSK

I am all for the GRE/Whistler Spectrum Sweeper which worked a lot better than RadioShack's Signal Stalker. Signal Stalker was not as sensitive and it stopped on a lot of adjacent frequencies rather than the actual frequency.

Shawn

Voyager

You have to remember how they work, so there are many issues in addition to sensitivity.

First, eliminate SignalStalker from the poll. SignalStalker is the RS term for BOTH Close Call and Spectrum Sweeper depending on the OEM manufacturer. For Uniden models, SignalStalker=Close Call. For GRE, SignalStalker=SpectrumSweeper. So, there is a flaw in the three-choice selection, and there are really only the two schemes anyway.

Close Call I've generally found to be faster, and works better on stronger signals.

Spectrum Sweeper I've found to be slower, but works better on weaker signals.

One other caveat on both. Both will generally trigger about the same level, but Close Call will immediately tune to the frequency of the hit. Spectrum Sweeper (and the RS equal) will hit then initiate a 1-MHz search. Sometimes it takes a while to get to the frequency of the hit, and many times it will pick up on other weaker signals "along the way".

So, which is more sensitive? Well, I guess you could say Spectrum Sweeper is, as it uses the stock receiver and a search to find signals. But, Close Call is faster and more reliable from the standpoint of accuracy. NEITHER is "clearly better" than the other, and each has it's strong points.

Status
Not open for further replies.