AZ - Can't seem to get it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

budley109

I have had the Pro-97 trunking scanner for YEARS now, and after reading through the manual, and searching for the local frequencies, and then putting it in the top of my closet for a few months multiple times, I'm back at it.

I know what trunking is, and I'm certain that I'd be able to program it, if I can figure out the frequencies for it. Everything I've found about it says that I need the "Data" frequency (?) for the local broadcast. I have no idea where to find it. Even on here, I'm seeing that I've got Phoenix frequencies, but nothing for Police. Just Fire, EMS, City services - but no police.

Is there anyone that is able to help walk me through this, just the first time?

Thank you

tipster67

System Types that the Pro-97 can get:
Motorola Type I
Motorola Type II
Motorola Type IIi Hybrid
Motorola Type II Smartnet
Motorola Type II Smartzone
Motorola Type II Smartzone Omnilink
EDACS Standard (Wide)
EDACS Standard Networked
LTR Standard
Analog

No problem listening to this:
Maricopa County
Motorola Type II SmartZone

Analog Channels can be received just fine. But when you are looking up systems to listen to, if it says "Project 25" your radio is not compatible. The radio is a good one. Still a lot of things to listen to, but the City's of Tempe, Phoenix, Goodyear, Glendale ect... Are all mostly on a Project 25 system. But again, there still is analog channels in use in those area's.

KB7MIB

Here's the Maricopa County listing in the database:

Maricopa County, Arizona (AZ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference.

Your scanner will not receive the Regional Wireless Cooperative, or the TOPAZ Regional Wireless Cooperative, among a few others.

Most of the communications that you most likely want to hear, will be in one of the two above systems. This includes every city PD except Paradise Valley, Tolleson, and Wickenburg; EMS reponses in Phoenix FD's regional system (~25 different departments & districts); and both fire and EMS in the Mesa FD's regional system (5 different departments & districts). Fire calls in the Phoenix system are on the conventional VHF channels.

In addition, you can try:
Arizona Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Go to Arizona State Agencies, and select each one in turn. DPS is in here, as is Game & Fish, the State Forestry Department (state lands fire), and emergency management. (ADOT is on the Yuma Regional Communications System, and you won't be able to hear them. This includes the ALERT units that respond to incidents on the freeway. ALERT Is great to listen to for unplanned freeway closures and restrictions. ADOT also has an enforcement and compliance division. These officers mostly man the port of entry stations and ensure that commercial trucks have all the necessary permits, etc., but you ocassionally also hear mobile enforcement around the Valley.)

You will need to seriously consider upgrading to a more modern scanner, preferably one that is P25 Phase II capable due to future plans here, in order to have a chance to hear city police. (I say a chance, due to multipath interference issues with the RWC and TOPAZ RWC simulcast systems, but that is another subject entirely.)

The county also has plans to upgrade from their current Smart Zone system, most likely to a P25 Phase II system.

John
Peoria

SCPD

QRT
I don't think anyone has said it clearly here, but P25 is a digital transmission. In your case with the PRO-97, trying to listen to P25 with it is similar to having a 1990 cell phone and trying to make calls on it with a 2015 cell network in place.

Phase II digital is a newer technology and squeezes more communications into the same number of frequencies. I don't have any scanners capable of Phase II reception and I don't think a majority of Radio Reference members do either. If a person lives in a major metro area like Phoenix, they are going to be forced to upgrade to a newer scanner or not listen to a lot of radio traffic. I live in a rural area and don't need a Phase II scanner for 98% of what I listen to. However, Southern California Edison is gradually replacing their older "Phase I" Type II Motorola Smartzone system with a Phase II system and if I want to listen to them during power outages and winter storms I will have to buy some new scanners.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Also, in addition to the agencies KB7MIB mentioned you could hear, there are a lot of federal frequencies that haven't gone digital and won't be doing so very soon. Perhaps never, given the current viability of digital in areas of significant topography such as canyons, mountains and such. Although Grand Canyon National Park has gone digital, but I'm not so sure that is a wise decision for a number of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.