LNB skew

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbswetnam

OK the installers came and set the ground mount pole correctly for me. Now I'm waiting for the Quickcrete to cure for a few days then they'll return to place the dish onto the pole. Then I'll ready to point this jewel toward the Galaxy 19 satellite! Hoorrey!

Now the alignment questions: #1: According to the data I've received from dishpointer.com, the LNB skew should be 5.5 degrees. OK, do I twist the LNB left or right? (see image)

Last edited:

wbswetnam

Well there's no negative sign so it must be positive. Do each one of those notches indicate 5 degrees? It doesn't give much information on the LNB, just 4 little notches on either side of the center and then 20 at each end of the scale. From the photo do I have the skew set correctly already or does it need to go the opposite direction?

prcguy

For G19 from Arkansas it would be a positive 5deg. When looking from the back of the dish into space you would rotate the feed 5deg clockwise. You can approximate the skew then fine tweak by looking at a quality meter on the receiver like BER, C/N, etc. These modes will show the best signal while taking cross pol interference into account.
prcguy

Well there's no negative sign so it must be positive. Do each one of those notches indicate 5 degrees? It doesn't give much information on the LNB, just 4 little notches on either side of the center and then 20 at each end of the scale. From the photo do I have the skew set correctly already or does it need to go the opposite direction?

VE3RADIO

Why dont you get a motor and aim at all of them? If I had to just pick one bird I would aim at G17 or SES2 or SES3.. Those birds have the most wild feeds.. if you want Muslim channels or christian channels then G19 is for you.

My Setup consists of a 1.2 meter motorized dish with a duel PLL LNB and I can track the entire clark belt.

Sathint and legal free to air are some good resources..

I strongly suggest the motor tho.. its only about 60 dollars.

wbswetnam

There are also some African channels, SE Asia, some Latin America... a bit of everything on G19. At the moment I'm taking baby steps into FTA here in the USA. Most likely, later on I'll switch to a motorized dish. Gimmie six months...

VE3RADIO

There are also some African channels, SE Asia, some Latin America... a bit of everything on G19. At the moment I'm taking baby steps into FTA here in the USA. Most likely, later on I'll switch to a motorized dish. Gimmie six months...

Ill give you a week.. you will quickly get bored of G19.. there are no wild feeds on G19 unless you have an 8 footer.. I strongly suggest G17 or SES2.. you will get a mix of channels and feeds on SES2. What receiver did you get? Something DVB-S2 I hope..

Also skew is not really important.. in fact with the use of a motor you leave the skew at 0.,, hypermegasat has good prices.

SES-3 has the NBC feeds and lots of wild feeds.. NBC with all four time zones.

prcguy

I actually had a dish pointed at G19 two days ago but had no receiver to see any video, I was just using its C-band beacon to test a tracking receiver and antenna controller on a 13m antenna. This dish has a circular pol C-band feed which is useless for receiving any US domestic stuff anyway.
prcguy

VE3RADIO

Have you ever come across wild feeds? I watch a ton of sports for free... MLB, NHL, NFL, MLS etc all on espn,fox sports net etc.. all free on wild feeds... no blackouts and no commercials.

prcguy

Yes, I spent nearly 20yrs in satellite TV broadcast ing and have seen everything that's out there and have also generated stuff that you may have watched. I prefer to watch my Directv and schedule programs on a DVR.
prcguy

Have you ever come across wild feeds? I watch a ton of sports for free... MLB, NHL, NFL, MLS etc all on espn,fox sports net etc.. all free on wild feeds... no blackouts and no commercials.

VE3RADIO

I cant buy Directv.. id need to share an account with someone in the US.. I am north of the border and all we get offered is crap on expressvu. If you want your bill cut in half let me know.

prcguy

I'm still on an employee account, not something I can share. However I am in your country now and some people I'm with brought Directv with them. Seems to work fine up here.
prcguy

I cant buy Directv.. id need to share an account with someone in the US.. I am north of the border and all we get offered is crap on expressvu. If you want your bill cut in half let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.