WS1095: My New Whistler from The Ham Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkelso

Thanks Ham Station for Shipping my New 1095 quickly and safely. This Moded 1095 is FAN FUNIN TASTIC!!!! It is out performing my older 1065 and hearing things that i never could here before on the NJ interrupt system. Has a great set of ears and only using a homemade in the house antenna that i made 35 years ago. There is Life beyond Uniden :)

Thanks Again

SCPD

QRT
Thanks Ham Station for Shipping my New 1095 quickly and safely. This Moded 1095 is FAN FUNIN TASTIC!!!! It is out performing my older 1065 and hearing things that i never could here before on the NJ interrupt system. Has a great set of ears and only using a homemade in the house antenna that i made 35 years ago. There is Life beyond Uniden :)

Thanks Again

Glad you are enjoying your new Whistler. It is a great scanner. Though mine is just on my desk and not using the head remotely ... it still performs very well and a very worthwhile investment. It is refreshing not to have to read about problems all day on the forum here.

wise871

Database Admin
You can always count on Jeff @ HamStation for fast shipping and great service. Enjoy the new scanner.

eddie8965

Thanks Again

Life Beyond Uniden....well said young man

HopperD

Premium Subscriber
I just visited the Ham Station site and it says they're out of the WS1095 until Aug 1st. I was thinking about ordering from them. Guess I'll have to wait or look somewhere else.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
check for PM from me.

QUOTE=HopperD;2429895]I just visited the Ham Station site and it says they're out of the WS1095 until Aug 1st. I was thinking about ordering from them. Guess I'll have to wait or look somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

wise871

Database Admin
I just visited the Ham Station site and it says they're out of the WS1095 until Aug 1st. I was thinking about ordering from them. Guess I'll have to wait or look somewhere else.

August 1st is tomorrow. Guess your looking for right now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I received my 1095 yesterday from Ham Station. Unfortunately, I am sending it back to Jeff. It seemed to work OK on VHF and 800 Mhz . However, on the UHF frequencies, especially LAPD, which is on 484 and 506 Mhz, the scanner was very deaf. Thought maybe I had the attenuator on, but no, it was off. Defintely was a problem in the frequency range. LA County Fire is on about 470 Mhz and the LA Sheriffs, about 483 Mhz. Signal strength was also much weaker than all my other scanners listed below. However, it was the UHF digital P25 LAPD (conventional), which is loud here in Cerritos from most of their sites throughout LA County, that was really quite deaf on the 1095.
I of course compared LAPD to my 536HP, 996P2, PRO-197, and WS1080. Signal strength was strong as usual. Definitely some issue with this particular 1095 unit).
I see that most everyone else seems to like the 1095 so far. But this particular unit is not working for me. That was obvious within a few hours using it. I will wait on buying the 1095 until I hear some other reports about the 450-500 Mhz range. Los Angeles has a ton of activity in that range.

wise871

Database Admin
Sorry to hear that Steve. I've been using the 1095 for the last week with great results. I mainly got it for Trunk scanning since it displays a ton of information. I mainly use it on DOD 380 and 700/800 systems and it does great. When I first got the 1095 I was a little reluctant at first but once I understood the programing it is not bad at all. Sometime It can be slightly weak on a one of my far off 700 systems were the Unidens pick it up but then again, the 1095 pulls in those 380 freqs and the Unidens are weak.

MichaelBhere

I received my 1095 yesterday from Ham Station. Unfortunately, I am sending it back to Jeff. It seemed to work OK on VHF and 800 Mhz . However, on the UHF frequencies, especially LAPD, which is on 484 and 506 Mhz, the scanner was very deaf. Thought maybe I had the attenuator on, but no, it was off. Defintely was a problem in the frequency range. LA County Fire is on about 470 Mhz and the LA Sheriffs, about 483 Mhz. Signal strength was also much weaker than all my other scanners listed below. However, it was the UHF digital P25 LAPD (conventional), which is loud here in Cerritos from most of their sites throughout LA County, that was really quite deaf on the 1095.
I of course compared LAPD to my 536HP, 996P2, PRO-197, and WS1080. Signal strength was strong as usual. Definitely some issue with this particular 1095 unit).
I see that most everyone else seems to like the 1095 so far. But this particular unit is not working for me. That was obvious within a few hours using it. I will wait on buying the 1095 until I hear some other reports about the 450-500 Mhz range. Los Angeles has a ton of activity in that range.

Before you go thru the process of returning it, you may want to try an external FM trap and see if this resolved the issue in your area.

wise871

Database Admin
Before you go thru the process of returning it, you may want to try an external FM trap and see if this resolved the issue in your area.

Steve has a very elaborate setup at home so I'm sure he has already gone through all the checks. I believe his connections are already filtered.

SOFA_KING

I wonder if UHF TV broadcast is blowing him away. In that case, not an FM trap, but maybe some other filter option to attenuate frequencies above the T Band stuff.

Believe it or not, I have used many amateur radio diplexers and triplexers to get the desired filter results where I need them. Pass the signal where it will pass, and reject the signals where the filter(s) reject them. It worked in NYC where RF was brutal on any receiver, much less a cheap scanner receiver. Night and day difference. Otherwise "fugeddaboutit"!

Last edited:

Fireboat03

Pepsima1 Duplicate Account
Banned

I will try and hit the Cerritos area with my WS-1080 and WS-1095 and test the waters with LAPD and LASO and report back. I do notice that I do like my BCD436HP a little bit better than the WS-1080 but its pretty much a toss up. You sure can't have it all in ONE radio. A little bit of flavor all around is what keeps me clam and happy.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Fireboat03
No similar problem with my WS1080 or RS668. The problem with UHF sensitivity at around 480 Mhz with this particular 1095 is a problem "alone" to this radio. Thanks for other comments by folks, but I have all the filters. Of course, I tried my PAR FM filter, then my PAR 152 Mhz filter. All with the same results.
I spoke with Jeff. He told me he has one particular 1095 unit that seems pretty deaf on a system he has at about 460 Mhz. I presume this is not a widespread problem given the reviews by others. Fireboat, I will be interested in what you find later with your 1095 in this location.
I tried the 1095 out it different locations around the house, all with pretty much the same results.
LAPD (some of the channels) is easy to monitor, even with stock antennas, on all my other scanners. Been at this for 35 years. Something funny with this particular 1095 at the this frequency range. VHF and 800 Mhz stuff seems fine.

wise871

Database Admin
I haven't seen any issues with the 380 - 460 range in my area. But we have nothing in my area in the 484 and 506 Mhz range to test.

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I looked at scannermaster.com and they are also out of this model. Ham station is like 50 dollars cheaper than scanner master so if i were you id wait

Last edited:

CVASSB

I plan on ordering a WS1095 from Jeff next week. I can't wait. I love the GRE/Whistler scanners. I've had a GRE PSR-800 for a long time. Has the GRE-800 been out for 4 years,or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.