Which uniden scanner will really work in a car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roveer

Not as easy as you might think. Read on.

First, I want to use a Uniden scanner because I want to utilize FTO mode. BUT... that brings about some challenges.

Second, I want to use a P25 capable scanner as some of the systems I listen to are P25 I not 2

But... (must have features)

1. For use in my truck.
2. Power on with vehicle, power off with vehicle, no intervention by me.
3. Not get stuck on a mass storage / serial menu when powering up from USB in vehicle (436HP has this problem)
4. (biggie), must be able to stay in FTO mode and survive power off power on (436HP does not)
5. Not corrupt the SD card (or not have an SD card)

436HP problems with above scenario:

1. only way to power on power off with truck is to use USB cable and pull batteries, with batteries in you
have to press the power button. But having no batteries and powering via usb always brings up mass
storage / serial menu requiring intervention (BAD, but could be fixed by Uniden in FW Update)

2. Goes back to scanning mode, won't stay in FTO mode (Bad, but could be fixed by Uniden in FW
update)

I'm not going to hold my breath that Uniden will make these changes, so I'm soliciting advice on other P25 I or I-II capable scanners that are well suited for mobile use. Really didn't want a full size scanner (or the cost), but have to consider all. Liked the idea of a portable scanner that could be used outside the truck

I believe my 536HP will stay in FTO mode after a power cycle. I am surprised that the 436HP does not. I know my needs are a little unique with FTO but I'm sure I'm not the only one who wanted to use a portable scanner in their car and not have to turn it on and off every time they go in. That's pretty darn annoying.

My other choice is to just throw my RS Pro 106 in there and give up on the FTO. Only problem is there is so much dispatch on that particular frequency I could see it becoming annoying. I really wanted to limit to my FTO settings.

Ideas / experiences - Thanks for your help.

Roveer

marksmith

If you are not worried about phase 2 then I would grab a 996xt before you can't find them anymore. Bulletproof, no SD card nonsense, works right off ignition or straight battery. Generally holds while using car ignition.

If you can't do a 996xt, the 996p2 is probably second best choice. I understand it won't hold against using car ignition like the 996xt, but almost as bulletproof and you get phase 2. The two are about the same price since the 996xt is now discontinued.

Mark
WS1095/536/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

phillydjdan

If the system you want to hear uses LSM, you're pretty much s.o.l. No scanner out there can handle it properly. With the right antenna you might catch 75% of the traffic if you're lucky. I just did a bunch of tests on a Phase 1 system here in Philadelphia using different scanners and antennas and the results were horrible.

Roveer

If the system you want to hear uses LSM, you're pretty much s.o.l. No scanner out there can handle it properly. With the right antenna you might catch 75% of the traffic if you're lucky. I just did a bunch of tests on a Phase 1 system here in Philadelphia using different scanners and antennas and the results were horrible.

I'd say 95+% of the time I'd have the scanner in FTO mode locked on an analog frequency for my fire/ems dispatch. The only time I'd have it openend up is if I wanted to hear my police/fire/ems conversations which is on the P25 system (APCO-25 Common Air Interface Exclusive) is what the database says. I'm only a little concerned about getting a P1 only scanner. Who knows when a system I would want to hear might be P2. I guess that's a cost/benefit analysis I'll have to consider.

The big question is on some of these other scanners, will they hold FTO mode through power off/on. No sense to any of this unless they do. If they won't, then I should just throw my RS scanner in there and deal with the extra dispatch traffic. That would be a free alternative. One that's growing more and more on me.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Id op for the 996P2, now I don't own one, but at least on Amazon its $75 cheaper than the XT and if any agencies go phase 2 your set!

KB7MIB

There's an FTO thread or two in the forums. I've seen a suggestion made to buy a commercial radio and set it up for receive-only FTO. Your other requirements such as ignition sense should be covered as well. For scanning, you've already got a scanner.

A commercial radio might be cheaper than a new scanner, too.

John
Peoria, AZ

Roveer

I had actually researched motorola portable plectron type devices. They cost about the same as a scanner after they rob you for the programming.

I'll use the hardware I already have.

It's disappointing that the 436HP is so inflexible to my particular needs. I understand that I'm not (nor am I ever) the typical user, but making a portable scanner less portable than the 536HP seems so backwards to me. These 2 issues I have can easily be fixed in firmware (the mass storage/serial problem and the return to last settings [FTO]), but I'm not thinking it will ever be done. Those two fixes would make this scanner "automobile capable" Unless of course the SD card becomes corrupted often because of the power cycling. Many have told me that the 536HP (which is adapted to 12v use) does just fine when on switched power.

In any event I'm going to bring these to Uniden and at least give it a try. Maybe they will surprise me.

Roveer

Voyager

Either the BCD996XT or BCD996P2 would fit the bill very nicely in every way.

Don't pay attention to the LSM issue, as that's a system issue and not a scanner issue. My local LSM system works fine, as do most other LSM systems. But some such as the one in Philly have issues. So if you're not in the Philly area... :D

phillydjdan

I had actually researched motorola portable plectron type devices. They cost about the same as a scanner after they rob you for the programming.

I'll use the hardware I already have.

It's disappointing that the 436HP is so inflexible to my particular needs. I understand that I'm not (nor am I ever) the typical user, but making a portable scanner less portable than the 536HP seems so backwards to me. These 2 issues I have can easily be fixed in firmware (the mass storage/serial problem and the return to last settings [FTO]), but I'm not thinking it will ever be done. Those two fixes would make this scanner "automobile capable" Unless of course the SD card becomes corrupted often because of the power cycling. Many have told me that the 536HP (which is adapted to 12v use) does just fine when on switched power.

In any event I'm going to bring these to Uniden and at least give it a try. Maybe they will surprise me.

Roveer

You could also find a Motorola Minitor III or IV pager for about $50 on eBay, and some sellers will even program them for free. They aren't the best pagers ever made, but for $50 (or less) you can't go wrong. I've had mine for about a year now with no complaints.

Roveer

You could also find a Motorola Minitor III or IV pager for about $50 on eBay, and some sellers will even program them for free. They aren't the best pagers ever made, but for $50 (or less) you can't go wrong. I've had mine for about a year now with no complaints.

Those were the ones I had looked at a long time ago. I'll look again.

I might just throw my Pro 106 in the truck as that would allow me to open up my fire/police/ems digital channels when I want to hear a particular incident. Dispatch is all analog, but everything else is digital.

Roveer

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've used both a 996XT and a 536HP in my vehicle. My preference is for the 536 because I do some traveling and like the full database feature. Also I see a lot less garble on the 536 for the local P25 simulcast system. (The 996XT was kind of bad on garble).

There will be those that give me the "Gee By Gollies" for this: I have the power wire connected to an ignition sensed circuit. The scanner comes on when the key is turned on and off when the key is off. I've done this for over 18 months without a bad SD card experience (I'm using a ScanDisk 32 GB card). Also, Upman has been a passenger in my vehicle and he didn't slap me silly for this power arrangement. Having said that, I do have a spare programmed SD card in the glove box, "just in case".

The only hitch with power removal, is that any changes you make (Avoids, quick key on/off) are not "remembered". If you make any such changes and you want the scanner to "remember" these for the next scanning session, you have to do a normal shutdown (rotate the volume knob to off).

536 Tone OUt Standby will survive power removal (as in pulling the power wire), but you have to do that normal shut down and turn back on. After doing that, you can remove power, re-apply power and the scanner will be in Tone OUt Standby.

I'd also second the suggestion of getting a Minitor for paging purposes. Before I retired, my fire department vehicle had a Minitor in a base charge/amplifier that was connected to the vehicle's battery for power.

Lastly I'd suggest an amplified speaker for vehicle use.

Status
Not open for further replies.