HP-1: Home Patrol 1 touch screen issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Seems like the last few days, and especially today, one of my HP-1 scanners touch screen has developed a sensitivity issue. No longer will just a light tap on the screen perform the function I desire. I now have to literally press with a great deal of force to get it to do anything.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? If so, is there a fix or will I just have to deal with it?

Thanks in advance for any/all information provided.

:)

MStep

Seems like the last few days, and especially today, one of my HP-1 scanners touch screen has developed a sensitivity issue. No longer will just a light tap on the screen perform the function I desire. I now have to literally press with a great deal of force to get it to do anything.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? If so, is there a fix or will I just have to deal with it?

Thanks in advance for any/all information provided.

It could sometimes be affected by the degree of moisture in the air or on your body, but more likely, perhaps you just need to clean your screen. What works for me is a little Windex and water on a very smooth Bounty-type paper towel--- something that will not scratch the screen.

I try to clean my screen that way every week or so, because oil from your fingers, along with other residue, can accumulate on the surface, even though it may it be visible to you.

It's just a suggestion--- I've had my HP-1 for about three years and use it daily and have not had any problems with touch screen sensitivity following my cleaning method.

If you're like me, and have your unit running 24/7 as a base radio, you could also try removing the AC power and the batteries for a few minutes and then putting the batteries back in and powering up the AC power again to "recycle" the unit.

I'm sure folks will be jumping in here with other suggestions, but this is where I would start.

Last edited:

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
I second that on cleaning the screen. . Use some Dust-Off (compressed air) to see if there might be some dirt stuck between the digitizer and front bezel.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
there might be some dirt stuck between the digitizer and front bezel.

This is a very common cause of the OP's problem.

I sometimes need to slide the corner of a piece of paper between the bezel and the edge of the touch screen to clear out cracker crumbs etc.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the info.

Unfortunately, neither a good screen cleaning nor compressed air have helped any. :(

MStep, I know you said to remove AC power and batteries for a few minutes, but I'm going to do it for overnight. A few hours versus a few minutes may not make any difference, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens come morning. I'll chime back in come the A.M. to give an update.

MStep

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the info.

Unfortunately, neither a good screen cleaning nor compressed air have helped any. :(

MStep, I know you said to remove AC power and batteries for a few minutes, but I'm going to do it for overnight. A few hours versus a few minutes may not make any difference, but I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens come morning. I'll chime back in come the A.M. to give an update.

Another thing you might want to consider if all else fails---- I believe there may be a way to essentially do a "hard" reset, which would essentially return your unit to its original state. You might have to do some research to see how this can be done.

We're gambling that something may have gone amiss temporarily which is inhibiting the screen from performing normally. Removing the AC and batteries would be a first step--- doing a hard reset would be something else to consider.

And by all means, keep up posted with your results.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, removing the batteries and AC power have seemed to have helped some. While not like it was when new, I don't have to press the screen quite as hard this morning.

It's a small victory, but for now, I'll take it.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There is a hidden menu that has a screen app, used to set the coordinates.

Search, or someone will come along with how to.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

That "secret" menu must really be buried deep inside the HP-1. I spent 20 minutes digging around the menus of my HP-1, in addition to doing Google and Bing searches only to come up empty.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
There is a hidden menu that has a screen app, used to set the coordinates.

Search, or someone will come along with how to.

While powering up, hold down VOL+.
Then, while the opening screen is on, tap VOL-.

I will not be held responsible for anything you screw up!
Marshall KE4ZNR

NWI_Scanner_Guy

HERE

Test Mode of Uniden's scanner HomePatrol-1.
Service menu, menu items and tests.
From RR (Enter to Test mode): "When powering up hold down both the power and volume up button. When the splash screen appears hold down the volume down button only."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_wwHG429q8

Thanks Phask.

While powering up, hold down VOL+.
Then, while the opening screen is on, tap VOL-.

I will not be held responsible for anything you screw up!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Screw up? I never screw up. If anything, I make "investigatory errors." LOL!! :D

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, whatever the problem was, it seems to have cleared itself up on its own. Thought about messing with the calibration setting in that hidden menu, but decided against it.

Had the scanner on earlier in the day, but didn't have to touch the screen; I just let it roll through the different favorites lists that I already had on. Turned it on a little while ago and wanted to have a couple of different lists on, and noticed that I didn't have to mash the screen. Hopefully, whatever the issue was has passed. Time will tell, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.